IGNORED

Balloon Fiesta

RedM

50 minutes ago, Slacker said:

It will save the balloon pilots one.

Quite a few are here on site, but no a fair few also didn't show for the briefing. Gusty up top but the main problem is also the landings, drag landings dangerous and unpredictable and beyond safety limits. 

Balloon glow tonight is predicted to be baskets at best at the moment, no canopy's. Not the same at all, but again safety first.

I've already seen a few pilots put rips or burns in their balloons yesterday, and they certainly aren't a cheap repair.

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Haven't been for years now but the best bit was always taking an empty backpack and seeing how many free samples of chocolate,pens,toothpaste,mini cans of drink and even packs of plasters you could blag.

Sadly times must be hard for traders, I've only been outside of the area once and didn't find any freebies. Food stalls and every charity you could imagine wanting your money though

4 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

What a crock of crap

Care to elaborate?

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

Sadly times must be hard for traders, I've only been outside of the area once and didn't find any freebies. Food stalls and every charity you could imagine wanting your money though

Care to elaborate?

There wasn't a single balloon in sight - not even on the ground. I get that the weather wasn't right (it was actually dry and sunny), but there was no plan B while we were there. No entertainment in the arena at all. And the things they did have around the edge were incredibly expensive.

Edited by AshtonGreat

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

There wasn't a single balloon in sight - not even on the ground. I get that the weather wasn't right (it was actually dry and sunny), but there was no plan B while we were there. No entertainment in the arena at all. And the things they did have around the edge were incredibly expensive.

To be honest the event has been put on with quite severe budget cuts this year from what I can witness. All the balloons are here ready to go but as I stress safety first. Also they are very expensive items as I have said and a balloon soaked in rain will go mouldy very quickly if there isn't further opportunity to dry it pretty quickly

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

To be honest the event has been put on with quite severe budget cuts this year from what I can witness. All the balloons are here ready to go but as I stress safety first. Also they are very expensive items as I have said and a balloon soaked in rain will go mouldy very quickly if there isn't further opportunity to dry it pretty quickly

To be fair, I didn't see your earlier message warning people not to come. I just find it slightly bizarre that such a massive event, with people travelling from miles around, hangs on such a fine precipice. I get that there's not much they can do about that - I just wish there'd been some kind of arena entertainment, and that everything else wasn't so expensive (though ripping people off seems to be the trend everywhere these days)

39 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

To be fair, I didn't see your earlier message warning people not to come. I just find it slightly bizarre that such a massive event, with people travelling from miles around, hangs on such a fine precipice. I get that there's not much they can do about that - I just wish there'd been some kind of arena entertainment, and that everything else wasn't so expensive (though ripping people off seems to be the trend everywhere these days)

I agree but I guess it's difficult for the organisers. The balloons are the entertainment as such and they are pretty much in the arena when possible, even if it is only tethering or having demonstrations etc. But if they can't do that what happens, as you say pretty much nothing.

If it's raining the arena gets shut off as they don't want it churned up. And also what do the organisers do, spend £££'s on back up entertainment that they might not need?

I've seen a ton of stuff here over the years, from the Red Arrows , hugely expensive but a big crowd puller, to horses, dogs, etc etc

Btw, no flying tonight and still undecided if a full glow or just baskets and burners.

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree but I guess it's difficult for the organisers. The balloons are the entertainment as such and they are pretty much in the arena when possible, even if it is only tethering or having demonstrations etc. But if they can't do that what happens, as you say pretty much nothing.

If it's raining the arena gets shut off as they don't want it churned up. And also what do the organisers do, spend £££'s on back up entertainment that they might not need?

I've seen a ton of stuff here over the years, from the Red Arrows , hugely expensive but a big crowd puller, to horses, dogs, etc etc

Btw, no flying tonight and still undecided if a full glow or just baskets and burners.

Fair points, mate. At least it doesn't cost to get in. Hopefully they'll have more luck tomorrow ?

21 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Saw 4 go up but It looked too windy. I think the weather will have ruined this mornings attempt. 

Yes, it looks like those 4 went up and reported conditions that weren't suitable after all so they stopped anymore from flying.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes, it looks like those 4 went up and reported conditions that weren't suitable after all so they stopped anymore from flying.

? Yeah, i just saw the update as well. A good effort but safety has to come first. 

Fingers crossed for 6pm and they've had time to dry the canopies out - weather looks better then. 

On the plus side Ashton Gate looks amazing from Brandon Hill at 6.30am ?

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Rare for Sunday evenings. Only seen a handful over years 

Yes me too. Most pilots who aren't local tend to leave before the Sunday pm spot. They got an awards/prize giving mid afternoon so doubt many will stay after that. Not many who got their balloons wet have put them up to dry yet so may see some tethering or flying later perhaps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Yes me too. Most pilots who aren't local tend to leave before the Sunday pm spot. They got an awards/prize giving mid afternoon so doubt many will stay after that. Not many who got their balloons wet have put them up to dry yet so may see some tethering or flying later perhaps.

Thanks for the info about tonight RedM.  Lots to consider.  Are you involved in some way?

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Thanks for the info about tonight RedM.  Lots to consider.  Are you involved in some way?

I am in a very small way. I do have full access to briefings etc that the pilots have. Luckily I have access to the marquee area, free food and parking etc, I am hugely fortunate in that way, otherwise it would be a hell of a struggle with weather like this. I fully appreciate how hard it has been for most, largely due to the weather. And no, I am nothing to do with the organisers so don't shoot the messenger?

They still intend flying tonight, but as already stated Sunday does tend to be a pack up and go day. Briefing is still planned for 6pm as far as I know so will be decided then unless the weather gets us first!

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

I am in a very small way. I do have full access to briefings etc that the pilots have. Luckily I have access to the marquee area, free food and parking etc, I am hugely fortunate in that way, otherwise it would be a hell of a struggle with weather like this. I fully appreciate how hard it has been for most, largely due to the weather. And no, I am nothing to do with the organisers so don't shoot the messenger?

They still intend flying tonight, but as already stated Sunday does tend to be a pack up and go day. Briefing is still planned for 6pm as far as I know so will be decided then unless the weather gets us first!

I thought you might do judging by your posts above.  That's very cool and don't worry, i won't hold you to it ? It's the comments on their Facebook page from the idiots that moan that i'd rather shoot ?

The weather can be so unlucky and it must be difficult for the pilots when they can't go up.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 06:09, RedM said:

For anyone thinking of coming this morning flying has just been cancelled. Too gusty at 1000 feet 

Hope this saves anyone a journey

Wish I'd seen this yesterday, but had just dragged the Wife out the door.
There was nothing on social media before we left so thought we would chance it. Shame as it seemed still , dry and warm at ground level.
We ended up with a nice bacon roll ( the people running the van were chomping at the bit to get off home). Wandered around the arena watching them play with the Bunsen Burners then took a look around the Gardens. It's a shame as it was the first time in years we have managed to get up early enough to make it worthwhile. 

Got a picture a young girl who was either on fire, a devil child or it could be the angle of the photo :whistle2:

Screenshot2023-08-13at17_02_36.png.06ca88973b6e2c952dacab1eae296e09.png

Screenshot2023-08-13at17_03_12.png.ef6229d3cd1516c84eadefac20612f67.png

• Like 1

• Admin

I must admit that I haven't been in a very very long time, back to the days of GWR having a radio one roadshow kind of event 

I must admit that I am really put off by the uncertainty about flying (I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for all the pilots and their flight crew) is there much else on site that is an attraction anymore? 

On 14/08/2023 at 17:29, phantom said:

I must admit that I haven't been in a very very long time, back to the days of GWR having a radio one roadshow kind of event 

I must admit that I am really put off by the uncertainty about flying (I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for all the pilots and their flight crew) is there much else on site that is an attraction anymore? 

Think having a BBC Sounds 'introducing' as they do at The Hundred would be good to showcase some local talent. Doesn't have to take up any more space than the old GWR set. It would also encourage more people to visit as at the moment if the balloons can't fly, people tend to stay away as there is no alternative entertainment.