IGNORED

Seb Palmer Houlden

Malago

He appears to have settled in nicely to EFL football.

I really liked what I saw of him in the u23s then u21s last season.  Got a good “two way” game, can play with his back to goal and he can run behind, whilst putting himself about.  That putting himself about sometimes suffers against hairy-arsed Lg2 CBs, but his off the scale pressing data in the u21s this season hasn’t gone backwards in senior football.

He looks really at home.

I thought Newport might have a tough season (they still might), and Seb might find it hard…but Coughlan is a good manager to learn from, and Seb’s attitude is first-class.

• Like 16

He’s doing exceptionally well, their only senior striker (Omar Bogle) hasn’t been available so he’s had to play the role from the get go, so to have 2 goals in 3 games plus an assist in his first ever league games at 19 is really impressive.

Early I know but interested if we have a release clause in January if he’s still doing so well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Early I know but interested if we have a release clause in January if he’s still doing so well.

I don't think this was stated when the loan was announced was it, but they sometimes keep us in the dark about these. We'd be mad not to have one, and this should probably work both ways for both clubs and the players protection. Maybe Fevs knows?

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't think this was stated when the loan was announced was it, but they sometimes keep us in the dark about these. We'd be mad not to have one, and this should probably work both ways for both clubs and the players protection. Maybe Fevs knows?

I believe that we do.  I think Seb himself wanted one in there as he knows he’s only a couple of injuries away from being in the match day squad.  His hard work and determination is certainly paying off now. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I really liked what I saw of him in the u23s then u21s last season.  Got a good “two way” game, can play with his back to goal and he can run behind, whilst putting himself about.  That putting himself about sometimes suffers against hairy-arsed Lg2 CBs, but his off the scale pressing data in the u21s this season hasn’t gone backwards in senior football.

He looks really at home.

I thought Newport might have a tough season (they still might), and Seb might find it hard…but Coughlan is a good manager to learn from, and Seb’s attitude is first-class.

I posted a link to the goals in the Loan Watch thread, which is mysteriously floating around between forums right now? :)

I have been routing for him for over a season now, but 3 things really impressed me from the highlights.

1. When he runs to the camera in the goal celebration, you can really see how his physique is improving.

2. Their players are overjoyed for him, he looks really popular already.

3. He makes a run and cross down the left that ends up creating the next goal, he looks much quicker than I gave him credit for before and he seems to have worked on his "weird running style" and looks a lot more controlled.

I was wondering when Tommy's injury was announced whether we let him go on loan too early, could we have waited until later in the window? 

But if he does well there and Yeboah gets more minutes here, that's a win win I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He’s doing exceptionally well, their only senior striker (Omar Bogle) hasn’t been available so he’s had to play the role from the get go, so to have 2 goals in 3 games plus an assist in his first ever league games at 19 is really impressive.

Problem was we did this with Semenyo a few years ago and stifled his development for 6 months.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Problem was we did this with Semenyo a few years ago and stifled his development for 6 months.

Circumstances were a bit different maybe? I seem to remember we recalled him to protect him from talk of Chelsea scouts watching him, I think we brought him "in-house" to bring him back down to earth a bit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I posted a link to the goals in the Loan Watch thread, which is mysteriously floating around between forums right now? :)

I have been routing for him for over a season now, but 3 things really impressed me from the highlights.

1. When he runs to the camera in the goal celebration, you can really see how his physique is improving.

2. Their players are overjoyed for him, he looks really popular already.

3. He makes a run and cross down the left that ends up creating the next goal, he looks much quicker than I gave him credit for before and he seems to have worked on his "weird running style" and looks a lot more controlled.

I was wondering when Tommy's injury was announced whether we let him go on loan too early, could we have waited until later in the window? 

But if he does well there and Yeboah gets more minutes here, that's a win win I guess.

Good spot on cleaning up his running style. It should help his progression although Brett 'Hucklebuck' Pitman didn't do too bad with a unique running manner. All told a great start for young Seb in EFL football and long may it continue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We do have a January recall option with Seb.

See the Squad Updates thread.

Well, according to my data he doesn’t have a Recall…he has a “Fecall”.  Typo corrected! ???

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

he seems to have worked on his "weird running style" and looks a lot more controlled.

Very reminiscent of Bob Willis steaming in from the Kirkstall Lane End!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know it’s not on topic, but towards one of the other youth players, does anyone know what happening with duncan Idehen. 

iirc he signed a new contract and become a bit of a billy big bollocks, but that happened sometime ago now. Is he still in plans for the future or is he an outcast (massengo esque). 

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He looks really at home.

With our current manager giving game time to any player fresh out of there nappies must be a very good time to be in the city academy set up , 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, George Rs said:

I know it’s not on topic, but towards one of the other youth players, does anyone know what happening with duncan Idehen. 

iirc he signed a new contract and become a bit of a billy big bollocks, but that happened sometime ago now. Is he still in plans for the future or is he an outcast (massengo esque). 

He was captain of the U21`s in the week I think.

1 hour ago, George Rs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

52 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He was captain of the U21`s in the week I think.

Yes, he was.

The fact he hasn’t been given a squad number ahead of JKL and RA says to me if someone wanted him, we’d be happy to facilitate a move.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yes, he was.

The fact he hasn’t been given a squad number ahead of JKL and RA says to me if someone wanted him, we’d be happy to facilitate a move.

I am sure we would be keen to move him on. The problem could be that the player might be happy picking a good wedge for doing very little, and for as long as possible. We might have to give him a golden goodbye if we want rid faster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure we would be keen to move him on. The problem could be that the player might be happy picking a good wedge for doing very little, and for as long as possible. We might have to give him a golden goodbye if we want rid faster.

Allegedly on £50-60k a year. Decent money but he’d be better off taking a pay cut and going elsewhere if he wants to earn a better salary considering the short career 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Allegedly on £50-60k a year. Decent money but he’d be better off taking a pay cut and going elsewhere if he wants to earn a better salary considering the short career 

I don't know actually figures but that sounds very low, I think I am right in saying that every Academy product that signs a professional contract with us gets around double that. 

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

What sort of player is he? Looks similar to Conway in physique from that video

Hard working, good press, strong, tall and good finisher.  Personally I think he’s got everything including an incredible desire and work ethic. If Conway was to leave next summer then Palmer-Houlden can just step in. 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Hard working, good press, strong, tall and good finisher.  Personally I think he’s got everything including an incredible desire and work ethic. If Conway was to leave next summer then Palmer-Houlden can just step in. 

Very exciting then! Could have some great striking options next year 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

Very exciting then! Could have some great striking options next year 

Yeah absolutely. I think it’s also worth remembering how quickly these kids improve. Conway could have been sent out last season on loan but we rightly held onto him and gave him a chance.  I did think we would do the same with SPH this season but obviously Nige thinks a year in league two will be good for him and maybe not quite ready yet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

What sort of player is he? Looks similar to Conway in physique from that video

On Pearson's instruction, he was moved to play as a wide striker for the reserves/underwhatevers. 

Whether that was to test his appetite for hard work in an unfamiliar role (see also Scott and Bell picked in unfamiliar positions for the first team) or that's where the coaches actually see his future, who knows. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

On Pearson's instruction, he was moved to play as a wide striker for the reserves/underwhatevers. 

Whether that was to test his appetite for hard work in an unfamiliar role (see also Scott and Bell picked in unfamiliar positions for the first team) or that's where the coaches actually see his future, who knows. 

Same as Conway as well.