IGNORED

Theo Walcott announces retirement from football

shahanshahan

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

I remember when Chris Waddle came out years ago and said that Walcott had ‘no footballing brain’ and ‘didn’t understand the game’. Got to say i agreed with him at the time and i think thats what my memory of Walcott will be, explosive pace and not a great deal else, such a frustrating player to watch.

You look at the players we have coming through now, Saka, Foden Bellingham etc all so much more technically able and accomplished on the ball than Walcott and many from that supposed golden generation were! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Where does the time go, it only seems a couple of years ago he was breaking onto the scene as a promising youngster…….

I know what you mean it! Next thing you know he’ll have a son who is a promising youngster breaking through just to underline how old we are all getting! I remember Andy Cole breaking through and his young son has broken through- hang on he’s now 28! ?

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Where does the time go, it only seems a couple of years ago he was breaking onto the scene as a promising youngster…….

Strangely enough it feels exactly the opposite to me.Makes me feel even older thinking about his early appearances.

I think it's brilliant to see a player with exceptional pace run past defenders, a refreshing change from too much tippy tappy stuff. Defenders left behind so far they can't even foul them, trying to pull them back but just grabbing air.

He didn't fulfill his potential but I remember a fantastic goal for England, might have been U21.

First thoughts are a totally underwhelming career for a player with much promise and potential.

Second thoughts - was he really that good?

What was his position? Not enough stature for a striker.  Not enough work rate for a winger.

His early call up to the senior England squad did him no favours with excess smoke blown up his arse.

His character appears too nice and too content - not dynamic or hungry enough to be a top player.

Fair play to him though - he has been paid well.