IGNORED

Where is the creativity going to come from?

ChrisBW

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He hardly escapes criticism, jeez, there’s some on here who consistently criticise him.

I like him, but….

Would I have taken off Pring at h-t?  No

Would I have left Tanner on?  No

Those were the wrong decisions in my eyes.

FWIW - red rag to a bull, sorry.  He’s had 2 1/2 years to sort out a mess….now is the start of building HIS team.  It’s been compromise after compromise since day one.  The sale of Semenyo for £10m who assisted last week and scored today, is a sacrifice isn’t it?  It’s nothing like the Tories at all.

He signed Cornick and Mehmeti and told us pre season was exactly what they needed - seen little progress. Not impressed with recruitment prior to this summer.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He hardly escapes criticism, jeez, there’s some on here who consistently criticise him.

I like him, but….

FWIW - red rag to a bull, sorry.  He’s had 2 1/2 years to sort out a mess….now is the start of building HIS team.  It’s been compromise after compromise since day one.  The sale of Semenyo for £10m who assisted last week and scored today, is a sacrifice isn’t it?  It’s nothing like the Tories at all.

Jeez...The comment about The Tories was a tongue in cheek joke.

95% of clubs in the country have to sell their best players when clubs in better positions come calling. Semenyo and Scott were always going to be sold and that can't be used as yet another reason to protect Nige.

I will judge him based on the product on the pitch and unfortunately that product is not very good, or more importantly, very exciting.

Spurs have just sold one of the best players in the World but their manager hasn't once used it as an excuse. HIS team have just produced a fully committed performance to beat Man Utd.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like him, but….

It's only three games, too, so we can criticise the home form this season but it's too early for definitive statements.

But my criticisms so far would be an inadequate pre-season schedule, a lack of post-Scott planning and our curious lack of ideas in the final third.

I know Cornick is the designated scapegoat this season, but I would rather Sykes in the team

The fact that we would have zero league goals without the long throws is less an endorsement of Cornick and more a concern about our attacking play.

All in all, anything could happen happen in the next few games, but a few tweaks needed, and possibly a signing or two.

Edited by mozo
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

One player isn't going to solve anything.

For years we have been operating on a "low quantity, high quality" philosophy when it comes to creating chances that turn into goals.

That's worked, to an extent, because we've had a) players capable of creating such chances, b) players capable of finishing them. But, it's very vulnerable to a dip in player quality, form, or an opponent who can shut down the few good chances we do create. 

We've changed system in that time, several times, but the philosophy has stayed the same, and it's one that started under LJ, persisted through Holden, and now seems to sit with Pearson.

One new signing, if brought into that philosophy and culture, won't change a single thing.

Exactly this. Been going on for years that it makes me think 'is this a trait of the championship' or 'just us'.

Can anyone place any stats from the last 5-6 years, or maybe from the start of the Johnson era (though I think it was about half way through when things started to dry up). Something like shots on target, shots off, xG etc. Seem to remember us being bottom two or something a couple of years ago!

@Davefevs maybe you could shed some light on this please sir, it'd be much appreciated?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Jeez...The comment about The Tories was a tongue in cheek joke.

95% of clubs in the country have to sell their best players when clubs in better positions come calling. Semenyo and Scott were always going to be sold and that can't be used as yet another reason to protect Nige.

I will judge him based on the product on the pitch and unfortunately that product is not very good, or more importantly, very exciting.

Spurs have just sold one of the best players in the World but their manager hasn't once used it as an excuse. HIS team have just produced a fully committed performance to beat Man Utd.

It wasn’t the mention of the Tories (cough, spit), but the inference that he’s had 2 1/2 years to build his team.  It’s not about “he’s no different to any other club, having to sell players”….this was 2 years of rescuing the club from the clusterfook of before.  That is nothing to do with selling Semenyo and Scott….it’s the scrimping and saving for 2 years whilst keeping us safe.  He only part-started building in January really.

In fairness has Nige bleated?  Nope, just managed expectations.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Exactly this. Been going on for years that it makes me think 'is this a trait of the championship' or 'just us'.

Can anyone place any stats from the last 5-6 years, or maybe from the start of the Johnson era (though I think it was about half way through when things started to dry up). Something like shots on target, shots off, xG etc. Seem to remember us being bottom two or something a couple of years ago!

@Davefevs maybe you could shed some light on this please sir, it'd be much appreciated?

Since we’ve been back in the Champ:

All years:

image.png.80c8fbc1caf13c8b6fc4f36087ef1794.png

2022/23

image.png.ba549e9142adef13a4e4cd06be1c98c7.png

2021/22

image.png.18dc43e3eac7da1151de6185d3d5b7e7.png

2020/21

image.png.78b0234e8c7bf483f2c8921c0532112f.png.

2019/20:

image.png.244b94f87df2131cfee1ee8d86dfb08c.png.

2018/19:

image.png.cf2f1ba1655b0dab0b74317ccbf34454.png.

2017/18:

image.png.db1a1bd199ab2d3a2063fb05a56dfba1.png.

2016/17:

image.png.b30b56c7906bd82be14a85eddca44076.png
2015/16:

image.png.68dfce1e832caff53b9354968d75ce32.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Since we’ve been back in the Champ:

All years:

image.png.80c8fbc1caf13c8b6fc4f36087ef1794.png

2022/23

image.png.ba549e9142adef13a4e4cd06be1c98c7.png

2021/22

image.png.18dc43e3eac7da1151de6185d3d5b7e7.png

2020/21

image.png.78b0234e8c7bf483f2c8921c0532112f.png.

2019/20:

image.png.244b94f87df2131cfee1ee8d86dfb08c.png.

2018/19:

image.png.cf2f1ba1655b0dab0b74317ccbf34454.png.

2017/18:

image.png.db1a1bd199ab2d3a2063fb05a56dfba1.png.

2016/17:

image.png.b30b56c7906bd82be14a85eddca44076.png
2015/16:

image.png.68dfce1e832caff53b9354968d75ce32.png

Have to say Dave, last season felt a step forward in a range of ways. At home we actually had a positive shot balance for the first time since 2018-19.

This is in the mud so far, albeit Millwall away was very encouraging.

41 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

I've kept numbers myself since 2019, that's why I make that statement with confidence.

However if you don't want to look at my shoddy stats, then FbRef.com is you're friend.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/2019-2020/shooting/2019-2020-Championship-Stats

As a point, our xG has generally* been ok despite the relatively low number of shots/SoT. That's because the few shots we do take tend to be better than average - hence it's high quality, low quantity.

Oh and yes a few seasons back we set the all time record (since records for shots began) for the fewest shots taken over a Championship season.

*Not under Holden.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bristol City have become a club that’s boring and has no character. Listening to the Birmingham fans earlier, they had real passion and togetherness....we’ve got nothing!..... no song that unites us...nothing! Back in the day we at least were known for having a bit of a firm and a bit identity....unfortunately we’ve got nothing now 

Absolutely junk today. We lack any passion and flair. Also, when away fans have something to sing about the Atyeo always amplifies their voices and the smallest stand sounds louder than any other. As the home team, we should have the Atyeo and give them the last two blocks of the lansdown. I for one would move to the Atyeo straight away if they done that. 

All those talking about Pearson not bringing in anyone, have you not heard that we have maxed our salary budget so can't afford anyone on the big bucks. Get rid of 3 or 4 donkeys and get one decent Striker! 

• Like 1

4-3-3 with two wide players who have clearly been told to hug the touch lines is never going to work.

The one striker is totally isolated against two big centre backs & yet we continue to lump it long.

What happened to the 4-1-3-2 that was effective last season?

The current lack of anything creative going forward is alarming & a real concern.

When you add in the complete lack of urgency & intensity that we saw in the first half today it is no wonder that the attacking stats are currently so poor.

Edited by Cardy

11 minutes ago, TheBigFatWurzel said:

Absolutely junk today. We lack any passion and flair. Also, when away fans have something to sing about the Atyeo always amplifies their voices and the smallest stand sounds louder than any other. As the home team, we should have the Atyeo and give them the last two blocks of the lansdown. I for one would move to the Atyeo straight away if they done that. 

All those talking about Pearson not bringing in anyone, have you not heard that we have maxed our salary budget so can't afford anyone on the big bucks. Get rid of 3 or 4 donkeys and get one decent Striker! 

I suspect the Safety Advisory Group, I'll add it to the appropriate thread are a real stumbling block for certain aspects of plans sadly.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Are we sure? Had we not sold Semenyo there is a very good argument that the League would have considered our FFP position to be worthy of a charge.

I still think we did enough in talks with the EFL to get sufficient covid allowances to avoid it, but selling Semenyo will have been a nice bit of goodwill.  We could’ve tried to sell Scott or Semenyo before 30th June, seeing as we lengthened are accounting year.

I’m not saying it wasn’t close, but there was never any “noise” coming out that we were gonna be charged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still think we did enough in talks with the EFL to get sufficient covid allowances to avoid it, but selling Semenyo will have been a nice bit of goodwill.  We could’ve tried to sell Scott or Semenyo before 30th June, seeing as we lengthened are accounting year.

I’m not saying it wasn’t close, but there was never any “noise” coming out that we were gonna be charged.

Had we said even internally to the League something like "We wont sell Semenyo as we believe have a case with Covid" then I think the risk of referral certainly would have been increased. No slam dunk but it would have been looked upon rather badly I'm sure. I'm certainly unsure of our capability to add Cornick, Mehmeti has Semenyo not been sold e.g.

At one stage even if it was an opening gambit for negotiations we did say something like we wouldn't sell our young stars owing to Covid impact and FFP should change.

I also have a secondary view which queries whether we vs other clubs have been treated equitably but that's a separate case issue.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, mozo said:

It's only three games, too, so we can criticise the home form this season but it's too early for definitive statements.

But my criticisms so far would be an inadequate pre-season schedule, a lack of post-Scott planning and our curious lack of ideas in the final third.

I know Cornick is the designated scapegoat this season, but I would rather Sykes in the team

The fact that we would have zero league goals without the long throws is less an endorsement of Cornick and more a concern about our attacking play.

All in all, anything could happen happen in the next few games, but a few tweaks needed, and possibly a signing or two.

I would say definitely a signing. 

For yonks now I've been saying we need a robust, centrally placed, attacking minded midfielder.

I thought Knight might be that man, but on the evidence if the two games I watched him in, he definitely isn't.  I can't remember him making a tackle in either.

He may have been a frustrating player in some ways, but we need a modern Marvin Elliott. We just can't concede the centre of the park to our opposition as much as we did in the last two games.

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I would say definitely a signing. 

For yonks now I've been saying we need a robust, centrally placed, attacking minded midfielder.

I thought Knight might be that man, but on the evidence if the two games I watched him in, he definitely isn't.  I can't remember him making a tackle in either.

He may have been a frustrating player in some ways, but we need a modern Marvin Elliott. We just can't concede the centre of the park to our opposition as much as we did in the last two games.

The problem is that we seem to need that type of player to replace Scott, plus another striker to replace the gap left by the departures of Martin and Semenyo. Without Conway, we have no one upfront who can either hold up the ball or even try to muscle their way past a defender.

18 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The problem is that we seem to need that type of player to replace Scott, plus another striker to replace the gap left by the departures of Martin and Semenyo. Without Conway, we have no one upfront who can either hold up the ball or even try to muscle their way past a defender.

True, but I suppose the big question is do we pay the big money it would cost to get a target-man style striker at this stage of the summer - or do we wait for Conway's return, strengthen elsewhere and hope Weimann's return gives us extra attacking options?

I thought we had some player when i first saw Memheti but i have to say i have been very disappointed in him he runs around like a headless chicken and cant seem to beat his man anymore He looks like a confidence player and hope he will soon start to look like an exciting footballer i think is in there somewhere

• Like 1

"Creativity," it is oft said, amongst, er, creative types, comes from boredom. Or follows it.

David Foster Wallace, the bandana-ed American writer of the 90s, once said: "It turnts out that bliss - a second-by-second joy and gratitude at the gift of being alive, conscious - lies on the other side of crushing, crushing boredom."

Yesterday, and Preston, we had "crushing boredom;" Hull away > joy.

6 hours ago, Super said:

With that midfield 3 who are all decent none are creative. I hate seeing Williams and James at home both are so slow. In fact this must be one of the slowest City teams I can remember.

I can't believe that Williams is only 26. I saw him tracking during a first half Birmingham counter attack and his slow motion running made him looked like the oldest player on the pitch!

• Like 1