IGNORED

I don’t like our 3-forward system (you might’ve guessed)

Davefevs

Interestingly the guys at NTT20 have just written this:

FWIW it doesn’t mention City, and it’s clear they are focused on the more possession heavy sides in describing its execution.

If it’s what Nige is aspiring too, then great.  It just doesn’t feel like we are ready for it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW it doesn’t mention City, and it’s clear they are focused on the more possession heavy sides in describing its execution.

If it’s what Nige is aspiring too, then great.  It just doesn’t feel like we are ready for it.

Seems to be a fashion for utility players as well, as I have said elsewhere. An elite level option for me, not wise in numbers at this level and below. The club seem to be following this emerging trend.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nigel said last season that he preferred 2 up front with 1 behind them. Perhaps Scott would have been the 1 and Nigel thinks he doesn't have anybody else suitable.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m hoping he can find a way to fit a pairing in.

I agree Dave. And it seems to me that (possibly Bell aside) we have players better suited to that too.

And although NP said that last season, he very rarely played 2 up front even when Scott was in the side. 

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for sharing this. Why is it you're not keen on our forward 3? You don't think we have the players with suitable attributes for it?

I don’t see many natural pairings in our front players thou, and you’d be making players like Mehmeti and Sykes pretty redundant with no wing positions. I don’t see Bell as a striker either 

He’s bought players for a 433 formation with 2 players (when everyone is fit) battling for 1 position on the pitch so that’s what we will be doing, regardless of injuries or form 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Thanks for sharing this. Why is it you're not keen on our forward 3? You don't think we have the players with suitable attributes for it?

Because they play as 3 individuals and the two wide ones (especially) don’t get close to the central striker when we are having to play a bit longer from the back.  They also hug the touchline too much in general play making us one dimensional.  That’s a massive generalisation, but when we aren’t playing well I see those as the main flaws.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because they play as 3 individuals and the two wide ones (especially) don’t get close to the central striker when we are having to play a bit longer from the back.  They also hug the touchline too much in general play making us one dimensional.  That’s a massive generalisation, but when we aren’t playing well I see those as the main flaws.

Favours much better players and teams with positional fluidity. That is elite football. This league does not lend itself to that. Anomalies such as Wilder's Sheff Utd are not the norm.

4 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Favours much better players and teams with positional fluidity. That is elite football. This league does not lend itself to that. Anomalies such as Wilder's Sheff Utd are not the norm.

Bielsa had Leeds very dominant, Brentford under Frank switched between 3-5-2 but a lot of 4-3-3. Lots of technical ability, dare say some fluidity.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My only gripe with Nige is that he likes us to cross the ball. I think crosses are a huge waste of possession. 

Sh1te crosses are, but good ones produce goals don't they?  I really lament the inability of wingers to get to the bye line and cut back for incoming attackers. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I agree Dave. And it seems to me that (possibly Bell aside) we have players better suited to that too.

And although NP said that last season, he very rarely played 2 up front even when Scott was in the side. 

Though Scott was generally playing as an 8 but in pre-season Nigel seemed to use him in a more attacking role.

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yea but the success rate of crosses is relatively low. Hence why you don't see the likes of Man City etc crossing the ball.

Do you know what:

• Man City cross the ball 17.9 times per PL match on average (33% success)
  • Bristol City cross the ball 17.8 times per Champ match on average (31% success)

over the last year.

I tried to find two games (one each) where they crossed an average number and average success rates.

IMG_8487.thumb.jpeg.6d7f10d41849fbd32b8669ed209d2998.jpeg

IMG_8488.thumb.jpeg.7b0a3a9628b0c2a15547241ac6aeaecd.jpeg

I was a bit surprised, I thought Man City might have more “cut-backs”.  The crossing areas and targets aren’t dissimilar.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you know what:

• Man City cross the ball 17.9 times per PL match on average (33% success)
  • Bristol City cross the ball 17.8 times per Champ match on average (31% success)

over the last year.

I tried to find two games (one each) where they crossed an average number and average success rates.

IMG_8487.thumb.jpeg.6d7f10d41849fbd32b8669ed209d2998.jpeg

IMG_8488.thumb.jpeg.7b0a3a9628b0c2a15547241ac6aeaecd.jpeg

I was a bit surprised, I thought Man City might have more “cut-backs”.  The crossing areas and targets aren’t dissimilar.

How has that changed since they signed Haaland?