IGNORED

Bristol, Arsenal and off-field identity

Robin101

Arsenal have released some great kits over the last couple of seasons, rooted in their Islington home. There was the kit last season inspired by the Piccadilly line tube which runs to the Emirates.

image.thumb.png.4834b1bc6a2d9e14bacce24dc73b30dd.png

Now they've just released a great third kit to celebrate being back in Europe, inspired by a local (European, I assume) takeaway! https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwE_HOVNVqq

Just made me think how poor our efforts look to create an off-field identity. Bristol has to be one of the most creative cities in the UK, home of street art arguably. So many interesting things to use as inspiration but we end up with a robin nicked off Google images and a random yellow colour? We can't use lack of budget as an excuse. Surely there must be a few creative studios/agencies out there owned by City fans? It would be a dream brief. 

I suppose my point is, we're ready in many ways to be a Premier league club with facilities (and that's obviously more important) but we're still pretty tinpot as a, dare I say it, 'brand'.

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Arsenal have released some great kits over the last couple of seasons, rooted in their Islington home. There was the kit last season inspired by the Piccadilly line tube which runs to the Emirates.

Now they've just released a great third kit to celebrate being back in Europe, inspired by a local (European, I assume) takeaway! https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwE_HOVNVqq

Just made me think how poor our efforts look to create an off-field identity. Bristol has to be one of the most creative cities in the UK, home of street art arguably. So many interesting things to use as inspiration but we end up with a robin nicked off Google images and a random yellow colour? We can't use lack of budget as an excuse. Surely there must be a few creative studios/agencies out there owned by City fans? It would be a dream brief. 

I suppose my point is, we're ready in many ways to be a Premier league club with facilities (and that's obviously more important) but we're still pretty tinpot as a, dare I say it, 'brand'.

Blimey- if you think our brand is bad- you should see our football.

• Haha 1

Finally got my hands on a home kit yesterday (well, a friend did and it was the first time I'd seen one up close). Looked and felt absolutely fine. Agree the third kit is a bit crap but if they get the away kit right they're 2 good 1 bad and the anger over the summer feels a bit silly. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

There was a Hummel training kit a few years back that had prints of 'Bristol stuff' like hot air balloons and Cabot tower, BS3 and that kinda thing.

Think we also had a recent shirt with suspension bridge behind the neck line?

I agree I'd like to see a lot more of this, but I'd imagine that the vast majority of clubs are equally as bad with this kind of thing

• Like 1

Think we had a black away shirt 2 years ago where it was supposedly inspired by all the different coloured houses in Bristol so we have done this sort of thing before. Personally I think a lot of this is marketing waffle and the only thing people care about is if it looks good (and doesn't have stupid logos). I like the Arsenal shirt which is based on the 80's green kit (although our home and third kits are both retro designs too), their other kit the one I believe is to do with Islington is pretty vile.

• Admin
31 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Finally got my hands on a home kit yesterday (well, a friend did and it was the first time I'd seen one up close). Looked and felt absolutely fine. Agree the third kit is a bit crap but if they get the away kit right they're 2 good 1 bad and the anger over the summer feels a bit silly. 

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you are in amongst a very small minority of people that have anything positive to say about the kits

Anyone at the club in sales should be listening to the amount of negative feedback they are getting, as I can seriously count on one hand the number of people I have met or read on social media that approve of the kit

Just now, Abraham Romanovich said:

No you've lost me on that one.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/06/bristol-city-21-22-away-kit.html

The Hummel Bristol City 21-22 away jersey brings a novel look for the club - predominantly black, the logos are placed centrally and the lower part of the front features a colorful graphic that draws inspiration from the houses in Totterdown.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.2Oub3QudKEc4aCnKyjQI4AHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=1a5513ceaa6014e2e07748463cff21db38b009546148c32467af74717bd3b835&ipo=images

Not saying the shirt actually looked like the houses but that was the marketing statement at the time. ?

Edited by Baba Yaga

Kits have been awful in recent years.

i try not to moan about the kits, because not everyone is going to like the kit.. and I’m one of those.

Problem for me, is trying to be a “Brand”

Why? Just be Bristol City. Be authentic.

Should have went with the old robin badge, for example.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you are in amongst a very small minority of people that have anything positive to say about the kits

Anyone at the club in sales should be listening to the amount of negative feedback they are getting, as I can seriously count on one hand the number of people I have met or read on social media that approve of the kit

Yea totally get that. I think a big reason for me I'm pretty unfussed is because I'm all in on the kits (think they're vital, always buy one, big part of a clubs image) but have no interest in the training or leisurewear, which is where a lot of the issues lie. Give me a decent kit or two every year (and I like the homer, we'll see for away) and I don't care if the leisurewear is a pureple and lime dressing gown with Barton sketched on the back. 

5 hours ago, Dizz said:

There was a Hummel training kit a few years back that had prints of 'Bristol stuff' like hot air balloons and Cabot tower, BS3 and that kinda thing.

Think we also had a recent shirt with suspension bridge behind the neck line?

I agree I'd like to see a lot more of this, but I'd imagine that the vast majority of clubs are equally as bad with this kind of thing

They definitely are just as bad, if not even worse. But I guess I'd just like to see us make use of the fact Bristol is one of the most creative/interesting cities in the UK. Fair enough if Crawley Town and Watford aren't doing it if you know what I mean, but just feel we could be doing it so much better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/06/bristol-city-21-22-away-kit.html

The Hummel Bristol City 21-22 away jersey brings a novel look for the club - predominantly black, the logos are placed centrally and the lower part of the front features a colorful graphic that draws inspiration from the houses in Totterdown.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.2Oub3QudKEc4aCnKyjQI4AHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=1a5513ceaa6014e2e07748463cff21db38b009546148c32467af74717bd3b835&ipo=images

Not saying the shirt actually looked like the houses but that was the marketing statement at the time. ?

Semi detached from reality.

20 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Queer sorts. London types.

• Flames 1

21 hours ago, Robin101 said:

They definitely are just as bad, if not even worse. But I guess I'd just like to see us make use of the fact Bristol is one of the most creative/interesting cities in the UK. Fair enough if Crawley Town and Watford aren't doing it if you know what I mean, but just feel we could be doing it so much better. 

Yeah I agree, definitely think we should do more of it.

Also I've kind of put a bit of lazy thinking out there that just because nobody else is any good at it that we should also just think "sod it".  It's an affective way to set ourselves appart from other clubs ?