IGNORED

Match Day Tickets Prices - Too Expensive?

Jacs

We have family down in October, on the weekend of the home game with Coventry. 

We have season tickets in the lower Lansdown and I asked my brother-in-law if he'd like to join us. However. its an eye watering £41.25 for an adult non member ticket!! Too put this into perspective, Liverpool charge £43 for a centre seat on the Kop. 

How do we encourage the "causal" fan, without disadvantaging SC holders and member? After all, everyone has been a first timer at some point and, although most of us were kids then, surely we want to get as many people down The Gate as possible? 

Thoughts? 

In shorts Jacs, I don’t think they really care as if you’re going to a game you are likely to go regardless of price. 

Other clubs charge around the same price and season ticket holders have feel they are getting value for money.

A season ticket in lansdown centre costs £29 a game, the wings £24 a game, that isn’t too bad really.

The club is doing something right to a degree, I know the ground has changed but our first season back in the championship under GJ, our average crowd was 16,276

Last season it was 20,513

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jacs said:

We have family down in October, on the weekend of the home game with Coventry. 

We have season tickets in the lower Lansdown and I asked my brother-in-law if he'd like to join us. However. its an eye watering £41.25 for an adult non member ticket!! Too put this into perspective, Liverpool charge £43 for a centre seat on the Kop. 

How do we encourage the "causal" fan, without disadvantaging SC holders and member? After all, everyone has been a first timer at some point and, although most of us were kids then, surely we want to get as many people down The Gate as possible? 

Thoughts? 

Yes, way too expensive!

Recently bought two tickets, lower dolman v WBA for myself & my 12 year old grandson -

£61.25 ?...

Thank goodness I retire next year & will be buying season tickets!

• Flames 1

24 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

In shorts Jacs, I don’t think they really care as if you’re going to a game you are likely to go regardless of price. 

Other clubs charge around the same price and season ticket holders have feel they are getting value for money.

A season ticket in lansdown centre costs £29 a game, the wings £24 a game, that isn’t too bad really.

The club is doing something right to a degree, I know the ground has changed but our first season back in the championship under GJ, our average crowd was 16,276

Last season it was 20,513

True and I'm quite happy at paying £24 quid a game for my season card. However, the club loses out on money from the "causal" fan (like my brother in law), who would attend the odd match but is put off by the price tag. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Lansdown stand is always going to be the most expensive.

The Dolman is certainly a stand to be recommended. Cheaper than the Lansdown for one.

When I take people to AG it's the Dolman only. (Granted South Stand is barely accessible).

It guess I could call the club and see if I could swap (just for that game) from the Lower Lansdown to the Dolman ... Mind you, it's still £37.25 for a non member in the Dolman 

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Jacs said:

It guess I could call the club and see if I could swap (just for that game) from the Lower Lansdown to the Dolman ... Mind you, it's still £37.25 for a non member in the Dolman 

Oh wow hasn't realised it was quite that high in Dolman. Coventry isn't quite a top Category game either.

South Stand sometimes has available tickets and is surely cheaper? Dolman can vary price wise. Some bits of the Dolman can vary price wise.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Hum. As a ST holder,  I just wouldn't pay the matchday price (excepting special games eg man City last year), so I'm sure casual fans are put off to an extent. Maybe they should look at the matchday price hikes in percentage terms, and agree to make them not more than 20% higher than a s/t price. But that might squeeze member prices and make them less valuable.

I guess that they'd ramp up the base s/t price if they were going to do this. Everyone’s a lower Rodney.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh wow hasn't realised it was quite that high in Dolman. Coventry isn't quite a top Category game either.

South Stand sometimes has available tickets and is surely cheaper? Dolman can vary price wise. Some bits of the Dolman can vary price wise.

Wait until next year when we’re in the prem see how much tickets prices are then ?

Tourist ticket prices. It's not just us nearly every club does it. Seems fair otherwise what's the point of season tickets and members.

Is the £43 at Liverpool a members price or tourist pay in advance price. Spurs non members prices are close to or just over £100.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Tourist ticket prices. It's not just us nearly every club does it. Seems fair otherwise what's the point of season tickets and members.

Is the £43 at Liverpool a members price or tourist pay in advance price. Spurs non members prices are close to or just over £100.

W.........T..........F!!!! Almost spat me sauvignon blanc out. That's just heinous

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

The People's Game no longer- the higher you to the less the People's Games the more the rather Rich People's Game.

Bit of a ramble and clearly ST Holders should get priority but while football needed reform, the price of the game has just risen too far at most places.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

I live in Maidenhead and have three kids who’d all want to go if I went.

It adds up to a day worth well over £150 in petrol, food and tickets if we all go and, right now, I can’t justify it. Prices are too high everywhere, City included. Didn’t miss a home game when I was in Bristol from around 1998-2008 but now I just can’t afford it. And that’s with a decent job as a primary school Headteacher.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Fair! Your having a laugh mate

It's an absolute rip off, not everyone can have a season ticket (logistics, cost circumstance) if us season ticket holders pay 24-26 a game roughly surely £30 is enough.

Just pure greed

And what is really grating is that the money generated goes, in part, to pay the players a crazy amount of money that puts us at a loss every year!  But the justification is if we don't pay it then we won't get the players and will go down, or we won't get the players needed to get promoted, but every club says the same so every club does the same nonsensical thing.  All clubs could charge less for tickets and pay all players less if directed as such, especially if told you can only spend x on players, or x on tickets, but this self governing thing between clubs is terrible, they should have an independent body who sets the boundaries 

It used to be what, £25 in the Lansdown with a membership?

City are now up there with the Bears, in that if I ask a mate along for an adhoc game, they’re usually interested until they find out the price - because like others have said, it’s not just the cost of a ticket to be considered, because associated costs have rocketed. 

The season ticket continues to be great value, perhaps a little too good value in some respects, especially kids tickets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Fair! Your having a laugh mate

It's an absolute rip off, not everyone can have a season ticket (logistics, cost circumstance) if us season ticket holders pay 24-26 a game roughly surely £30 is enough.

Just pure greed

The problem for the Club is....

I will miss games every season, as do all the lads I go with. At £25 a game Vs £35 we are happy to suck that up. 
If the prices were only say £5 difference you get to the point some people will pick and choose games.
I feel it's the Clubs way of selling ST's, make the outlay the sensible choice. 

FWIT, I think prices are too high. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

The problem for the Club is....

I will miss games every season, as do all the lads I go with. At £25 a game Vs £35 we are happy to suck that up. 
If the prices were only say £5 difference you get to the point some people will pick and choose games.
I feel it's the Clubs way of selling ST's, make the outlay the sensible choice. 

FWIT, I think prices are too high. 

Wouldn't worry me in the slightest

On average I miss 4 to 5 games every season as do all my mates I go with, those tickets are always given away to family/friends so it doesn't bother us

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Wouldn't worry me in the slightest

On average I miss 4 to 5 games every season as do all my mates I go with, those tickets are always given away to family/friends so it doesn't bother us

Kind of my point, we pass on tickets when we can't go. But if the season ticket is nearly the same as price per game, some will stop getting a season ticket and so the club will miss out. 
I get it's a balance, the membership scheme helps locals. But going to random games is expensive, I guess that's the same at many grounds.  Cov are £30-£37 

• Like 2

Now it’s become easier to pass tickets between each other, we could do with a “place” we can go to if we can’t make a game to pass our tickets on to fellow reds who want to bring a friend or wouldn’t be able to afford to go otherwise.

If a small or reasonable fee were involved that would have to be between the two parties.

I guess the club wouldn’t be happy with this and was probably the reasoning behind the initial limit to the amount of times you passed your ticket on, which they later dropped…….for now.