IGNORED

If there was a takeover in the next 12 months...

Mr Popodopolous

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Decent within the constraints moreso

Tanner, Dickie, Atkinson, Roberts. Sadly Atkinson who knows when he will be back.

Naismith, Knight- King is and was always bit-part.

McCrorie we've barely seen- this virus etc.

Gardner-Hickman has just joined. Let's see.

Sykes needs a run in his preferred position, when fit I'd always start him on the right.

Mehmeti..he seems to have stalled sadly, looked very exciting when he came in.

Cornick should be more of a bench strength really but when he does play centre or bust- he was central at Luton iirc.

Time will tell as you say.

Several of these players are still of ages where they are developing too.the squad balance just doesn't seem right to me.

At this point im not saying it’s bad but I’m also not going to say it’s good either, we will know more about that around Xmas time. We’re already out a cup having not scored again at home and we still have (IMO) issues with our midfield which have not been addressed. We’re an established championship club now but at times it certainly doesn’t feel like it. And before anyone asks, No i dont have the answers but im also not tasked with recruiting players for a championship football club. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

At this point im not saying it’s bad but I’m also not going to say it’s good either, we will know more about that around Xmas time. We’re already out a cup having not scored again at home and we still have (IMO) issues with our midfield which have not been addressed. We’re an established championship club now but at times it certainly doesn’t feel like it. And before anyone asks, No i dont have the answers but im also not tasked with recruiting players for a championship football club. 

The balance in midfield especially at home seems quite a problem atm yep.

Yes agreed we will know more by Christmas. We by which I mean SL appear to also be keen on utilising quite a thin squad and for that to have a chance of working you need to be near perfect with injuries and suspensions etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

The thin squad also reminds me.

Luton was an example cited. However their squad was quite large last season was it not.

I appreciate the wage bill probably wasn't but they had a certain amount of margin for error when it came to injuries etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Luton_Town_F.C._season

Some of those will have been traded in and out during the season yes.

Jon L has discussed the modelling of the club as part of a group of teams (Bristol Sport) that have mutually beneficial marketing opportunities and shared resource costs. 

I can’t remember exactly - it may have been that he’s also participated as a speaker at a conference in the US, or been interviewed for articles that talk about the US sport model being something they’re trying to emulate in Bristol - but the intention seems pretty clear. Sell the business as a whole to a US buyer. Plenty of precedent for that in English football. 

• Thanks 1

I may as well ask and it is kinda two fold this.

1) New owner in by 2024-25 just for example, how big a transfer and wage budget increase to be handed down? Some concrete numbers. By way of example although Webster and Brownhill predominantly for the £25m profit on Disposal we threw £26m in additions at it and the wage bill also rose by £3m. That was 2019-20.

Additions will cover fees, loan fees and agents fees- Signing on fees are surely remuneration tbh.

2) Type of new owners, strategy etc?

Ie Keep with a wage cap but increase the top earner to £20k a week max rather than say £15k.

Gotta think of squad harmony too.

Be more flexible on loans but offer a larger loan fee in lieu of full wage contribution e.g. 

Maybe bigger signing on fees in order to still pay a base rate that fits the wage structure.

More performance related pay ie easier to hit yet larger bonuses but only if players excel.

Etc.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I may as well ask and it is kinda two fold this.

1) New owner in by 2024-25 just for example, how big a transfer and wage budget increase to be handed down? Some concrete numbers. By way of example although Webster and Brownhill predominantly for the £25m profit on Disposal we threw £26m in additions at it and the wage bill also rose by £3m. That was 2019-20.

Additions will cover fees, loan fees and agents fees- Signing on fees are surely remuneration tbh.

2) Type of new owners, strategy etc?

Ie Keep with a wage cap but increase the top earner to £20k a week max rather than say £15k.

Gotta think of squad harmony too.

Be more flexible on loans but offer a larger loan fee in lieu of full wage contribution e.g. 

Maybe bigger signing on fees in order to still pay a base rate that fits the wage structure.

More performance related pay ie easier to hit yet larger bonuses but only if players excel.

Etc.

And what of Bristol Sport in such a scenario. I see that as the biggest drag on City being sold to positive investors

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

And what of Bristol Sport in such a scenario. I see that as the biggest drag on City being sold to positive investors

Interesting although the rugby requires negligible input from the ownership.

Dunno the finances of the Flyers.

The infrastructure on the stadium footprint should be really looking go tin at a profit shouldn't it. Certainly in cash terms.

Would definitely add to the acquisition cost however.