IGNORED

Bristol City followerJonathan Pearce allowed to commentate on our games?

When we arrive in the premier league

Gary Neville slammed by Gabby Agbonlahor after commentating on Salford City on Sky Sports

Salford co-owner Gary Neville was selected by Sky Sports as a co-commentator for the Ammies Carabao Cup tie against Leeds as Mark Wood's side progressed to the third round
Gabriel Agbonlahor has questioned Sky Sports' decision to select Gary Neville on co-commentary duty for Salford's Carabao Cup tie against Leeds.

But, despite his affiliation with the Ammies, Neville appeared on co-commentary for Salford's Carabao Cup second-round tie against United's arch rivals Leeds, alongside Michael Bridges.

"It didn't make sense for Gary Neville to be commentating on a club that he co-owns, it was a very strange decision, it didn't sound great to be honest and that upset a lot of people."

Fans were also left baffled on social media. One said: "Bit mad having Gary Neville doing the commentary for a team that he part owns :laugh:." Another added: "Just as a general principle, it is not right that Gary Neville, as a club club owner, should commentate on that game. He did OK but that's not the point. There is a clear conflict of interest. The optics are awful."
As for the game itself, Matt Smith headed Salford into a first-half lead at the Peninsula Stadium, and Neville could not contain his excitement as he could be heard cheering into the microphone. However, Salford did not hold on with Pascal Struijk equalising for the Ammies in the 76th minute.Neither side could be separated after 90 minutes, leaving penalties to decide who would progress through to round three. Salford ended up coming out on top in the shootout, with Ossama Ashley scoring the decisive spot-kick as the Ammies ran out 9-8 victors following a 1-1 draw in normal time.

Edited by Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Christ! Are people really angry about this! If this is all people are concerned about then we can fix the world by this time next week. 

Always weird when people say this. It’s possible to hold views and debate on more than one thing at a time

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

When we arrive in the premier league

Gary Neville slammed by Gabby Agbonlahor after commentating on Salford City on Sky Sports

Salford co-owner Gary Neville was selected by Sky Sports as a co-commentator for the Ammies Carabao Cup tie against Leeds as Mark Wood's side progressed to the third round
Gabriel Agbonlahor has questioned Sky Sports' decision to select Gary Neville on co-commentary duty for Salford's Carabao Cup tie against Leeds.

But, despite his affiliation with the Ammies, Neville appeared on co-commentary for Salford's Carabao Cup second-round tie against United's arch rivals Leeds, alongside Michael Bridges.

"It didn't make sense for Gary Neville to be commentating on a club that he co-owns, it was a very strange decision, it didn't sound great to be honest and that upset a lot of people."

Fans were also left baffled on social media. One said: "Bit mad having Gary Neville doing the commentary for a team that he part owns :laugh:." Another added: "Just as a general principle, it is not right that Gary Neville, as a club club owner, should commentate on that game. He did OK but that's not the point. There is a clear conflict of interest. The optics are awful."
As for the game itself, Matt Smith headed Salford into a first-half lead at the Peninsula Stadium, and Neville could not contain his excitement as he could be heard cheering into the microphone. However, Salford did not hold on with Pascal Struijk equalising for the Ammies in the 76th minute.Neither side could be separated after 90 minutes, leaving penalties to decide who would progress through to round three. Salford ended up coming out on top in the shootout, with Ossama Ashley scoring the decisive spot-kick as the Ammies ran out 9-8 victors following a 1-1 draw in normal time.

But who can forget Mr Pearce commentating on his beloved City in 1986, John?

"It's Rileyyyyyyyyyy!!!" 

We could all do with a bit more of that. 

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

Please Graham, could you refrain from reminding me of my mortality - at almost 60 I'm kidding myself I'm still 40!

I got there this month (there’s exactly a week between me & Nige) so I absolutely get where you’re coming from!

• Haha 1

I think Jonathan has already said he wouldn’t want to commentate on City in the Premier League.

He did say maybe he’d do a one off game or something like that and of course has covered our games before.

I can’t remember the podcast it was on,  it was from about 4 years ago and is a must listen if you haven’t heard it. Especially for older fans who can remember the first division days.

EDIT: Found it, I haven’t listened back yet but will do, it’s brilliant. I think Jonathan only agreed to do 45 minutes or something, it ended up one and a half hours and he could easily have gone on much longer.

https://onestreaminbristol.libsyn.com/a-cider-with-jonathan-pearce

Edited by ralphindevon