IGNORED

England

E.G.Red

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But it's very relevant Harry because Rice is not a DM who just sits in front of the back four. He DOES press higher up the pitch and break up play when England are pressing. That is an integral part of his game. 

Anyway, I enjoyed last night's performance from a defensive and attacking perspective so will leave it there !

He does. And there’s nothing stopping him doing that as a single DM. We don’t need 2 of them. And that’s the main issue most have (and always have had) with Gareth. 

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but personally apart from the booking for Phillips which I thought was a pretty fair tackle thought the referee was very good last night . 

Take note prem / championship refs 

took no nonsense didn’t fall for any fake injuries no over talking to players and generally don’t a decent job 

6 minutes ago, redkev said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but personally apart from the booking for Phillips which I thought was a pretty fair tackle thought the referee was very good last night . 

Take note prem / championship refs 

took no nonsense didn’t fall for any fake injuries no over talking to players and generally don’t a decent job 

Very good point actually Kev. 
Yes, he was very good. 

To my mind, Maguire and Phillips not playing presents two quite different situations. Although Maguire has played well in three major tournaments, I'm not fully convinced he is a natural fit for the team. I suspect one of the reasons he struggles to get games at club level is - form aside - he is a conventional, "old school" defender and the current tactical trends call for footballers to be a bit more positionally fluid. On the other hand Phillips is barely playing at club level but - whilst he didn't necessarily play well on Wednesday - I think his selection over Henderson made the midfield more balanced helped get the best out of Rice and Bellingham. I think both Phillips playing and Maguire not playing were part of the reason we looked so much better against Scotland than against Ukraine.

I'd still find it hard to justify selecting either if they aren't playing - and both look rusty at the moment - but I think Phillips not being selected creates more of a problem as I'm not sure we've got other midfielders that would slot in with comparable attributes. 

My biggest criticism with McGuire is not his actual defending but how slow he is to distribute the ball , him & Dunk we’re painful to watch first 20 mins 2nd half along with Ramsdale passing it around amongst them . Whether it was tactical to draw the jocks onto us I don’t know but it didn’t half stifle the way we were playing up to then . Jocks get there goal with then go back to playing quick football and tore them a new arsehole and could have had at least another 2 even after the jocks had scored 

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Kane Bellingham and Rice 

Any chance of letting me know the other 3-4 

I think you could make a strong case for Kyle Walker. Bukayo Saka too…at the France game back in Qatar, the French players were visibly nervous whenever Saka got the ball. 

Stones, Foden and Alexander-Arnold not too far behind (maybe not all world class right now, but Foden and Trent A-A may still become world class). 

1 minute ago, North London Red said:

I think you could make a strong case for Kyle Walker. Bukayo Saka too…at the France game back in Qatar, the French players were visibly nervous whenever Saka got the ball. 

Stones, Foden and Alexander-Arnold not too far behind (maybe not all world class right now, but Foden and Trent A-A may still become world class). 

Trent going forward is World Class probably 2nd in the Prem behind KDB for passing.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Trent going forward is World Class probably 2nd in the Prem behind KDB for passing.

It would be great if we could accommodate Trent into the team. 

Also, KDB isn't even the best in the prem at passing, let alone in the Man City team. That accolade belongs to Rodri. 

• Hmmm 1

On 12/09/2023 at 21:14, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't have such a downer on Maguire as some do on here but why bring him on in a friendly when there's the opportunity to give Tomori game time. 

To be fair I agree with this. It was perfect opportunity to do what I didn't want us doing against Ukraine and give someone else minutes

On 12/09/2023 at 21:18, redkev said:

That own goal should go down as an England team own goal even though McGuire puts it in the whole team have fxxked about with it at the back 2nd half , they been inviting trouble all 2nd half , cocky / arrogant / mangers instructions what ever it is bloody ridiculous making them look better than they are 

I avoided posting here Tuesday because I just knew the types of comments that would be posted.

That own goal came immediately after Bellingham shanked a cross straight off the pitch. Scotland countered and none of the front 3 reacted. Robertson picked the ball up on the edge of his box, passed it through Rice and Phillips to an unmarked McCan then continued his run all the way to the edge of our box out wide with no one picking him up.

He had to try and block the cross it's just unlucky. For people to say he's "let us down" for that is ridiculous especially if you let the midfield get off without comment.

On the rest of the game, almost a flawless performance really. Dunk looked good too.

A lot is said about how "boring" we can be at times, like the Ukraine game but you see why teams setup so defensively against us. We destroy teams who open up and try and come at us.

If we could master unlocking the 10 men behind the ball sides, we'd be favourites for the Euros in my view.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2023 at 22:02, Harry said:

Exactly this. 
But I’d also point out that it wasn’t necessarily all down to the front players not reacting. 
Because of the stupid 2xDM system that we play, we did actually have both Rice & Phillips behind the ball and in our own half as they broke away. With 2xCB’s and Walker & Tripper also back too. 
The error comes from the 2 DM’s both ball watching and not cutting the passing lane to their AM and then Trippier not continuing the run with their midfielder who ends up crossing it. 
I’d also suggest that Ramsdale wasn’t going to reach that cross so I don’t know why he was coming out. If he stays then Maguires attempt to stop the cross just rolls nicely into the keepers hands. 

Maguire will get a load of shit for it, but there were 4 other errors that led to the goal. 

Glad someone else saw this, spot on.

23 hours ago, redkev said:

My biggest criticism with McGuire is not his actual defending but how slow he is to distribute the ball , him & Dunk we’re painful to watch first 20 mins 2nd half along with Ramsdale passing it around amongst them . Whether it was tactical to draw the jocks onto us I don’t know but it didn’t half stifle the way we were playing up to then . Jocks get there goal with then go back to playing quick football and tore them a new arsehole and could have had at least another 2 even after the jocks had scored 

Why do you keep spelling his name wrong? He's not Scottish?

It is exactly that, Dunk (and others) do this at Brighton as a delibarate style to draw in the press.

Here's a video of Pep talking about Brighton's style: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ca9bnUNFNtk

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Why do you keep spelling his name wrong? He's not Scottish?

It is exactly that, Dunk (and others) do this at Brighton as a delibarate style to draw in the press.

Here's a video of Pep talking about Brighton's style: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ca9bnUNFNtk

He was Scottish for a bit the other night ??

risky game to play if it goes wrong , whilst we were doing that for those 20 mins on Tuesday night Scotland had there best spell of the match ,

god imagine city doing that , think I’d have a heart attack 

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Watching United on MOTD, and they are absolutely crap at defending.

Perhaps Maguire isn’t the problem there! Probably better for his confidence that he isn’t playing at the moment.

He should have left in the summer.

Not sure the new keeper looks any better than De Gea.

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Watching United on MOTD, and they are absolutely crap at defending.

Perhaps Maguire isn’t the problem there! Probably better for his confidence that he isn’t playing at the moment.

He should have left in the summer.

Problem at Utd is simple

When things are going well their star players look good

When things get tough like likes of Bruno Rashford Shaw Sancho plus 3 or 4 others hide as quick as possible Some of the most spineless players going 

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure the new keeper looks any better than De Gea.

Not looking good, stat I saw was he’s faced 10 shots and conceded 7?

Also worth noting Ramsdale has been replaced today, another that people were keen to see in the England side.

Generally I just think some players suit different styles/systems/environments and as fans we’ll never have all the facts about selection.

21 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Problem at Utd is simple

When things are going well their star players look good

When things get tough like likes of Bruno Rashford Shaw Sancho plus 3 or 4 others hide as quick as possible Some of the most spineless players going 

Totally agree bit of the Harlem globetrotters about them ,

old school Utd had there flair star players who could win a game on there own but they had one hell of a work ethic 

Cole York Hughes Van Persie ( not Berbatov ?) would lead from the front and work the no nads off behind that you had ince Keane Robson Giggs Beckham Scholes Butt , they could score goals but worked so hard in front of the defence that teams would have to work hard to get at Utds back four  and if you did get at there back four you had the small matter of either pallister & Bruce or Rio & Vidic then ? Schemichel . 
This Utd team you can at there back four with a scuffed clearance big big problems for them 

56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Baffling that Henderson and Phillips keep getting picked. I just don’t understand the rationale.. surely the principle you set as manager is that the best players, in form, who are playing regularly deservedly get awarded places.

It is Conor Gallagher which baffles me

Just dont get the hype 

Shocked that he even gets into the Chelsea team 

• Like 1