IGNORED

Scott Laird almost signed for us in 2013

Riaz

For those who might be interested -Left back Scott Laird claims he was due to sign for us in January 2013.

This would have been the last few weeks of Derek McInnes time in charge.

Apparently, everything was virtually agreed. Fee was 2.5m. From Preston - what he calls a dream move. He picked us over Watford.

But as the january window was some weeks away, he carried on playing for Preston and unfortunately broke his leg and the move never happened.

He's now at Weston as a coach, with Scott Murray's son Jay and speaks highly of both.

• Thanks 1

I knew Scott very well (he took my younger sister to Prom) and he was actually due to sign for City before going to Preston. Everything was agreed (a 2yr deal with optional 3rd year) but Preston came in late with better contract offer (ie more money) and he openly admitted to me that although he’s a boyhood City fan, he had to make the right decision for family and as he believed it would be his final big contract he accepted Preston’s offer instead. 

As stated above City did indeed try to sign him again but injury put curse on that. City had also had him on trial whilst he was 14/15 but decided he was too small and wouldn’t make it as a footballer, an all too common theme many years ago……

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

For those who might be interested -Left back Scott Laird claims he was due to sign for us in January 2013.

This would have been the last few weeks of Derek McInnes time in charge.

Apparently, everything was virtually agreed. Fee was 2.5m. From Preston - what he calls a dream move. He picked us over Watford.

But as the january window was some weeks away, he carried on playing for Preston and unfortunately broke his leg and the move never happened.

He's now at Weston as a coach, with Scott Murray's son Jay and speaks highly of both.

My son was at WSM for a while and couldn't speak highly enough of him. Left Weston because presumably he reached the point where his career overtook the need to travel thousands of miles and hundreds of hours each year in National League South.

As good as the standard Weston play at is it does show the difference when a Left Back at pro level can go and run a game in midfield at Southern League Premier level (I appreciate they are now NLS).

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2