IGNORED

Forget new deals for players….get Nigel signed up now!

Shauntaylor85

2 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I think the answer is possibly that the owner is open to selling the club and sees the fact that the manager’s contract is running down as something that any new owners would see as a good thing.

We were in agreement on FBC Podcast yesterday that, to quell rumours of a fractured relationship with SL due to the "without Scott" apparent change of strategy, it would send a positive signal that things aren't as bad as they seem to offer Pearson a rolling 12 month contract if we are in the top half at the turn of the year. This is tantamount to just offering him a 6 month extension on his current deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think the question we should ask ourselves is who would we swap him with because I am struggling to want anyone else at this level with the constraints we have  

Given Steve's obsession with Luton I'd be nervous if Nathan Jones is still available when the time comes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Given Steve's obsession with Luton I'd be nervous if Nathan Jones is still available when the time comes.

I’d rather have Catherine Zeta than that odious little runt. 
Him or Russell Martin, they make my skin crawl. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sadly I think it suits Lansdown to have Pearsons contract running out while looking to sell this year 

I don't agree with this. Even if Nige was on a 3 year contract now, the cost for a new owner to pay him off would be a drop in the ocean compared to the £80m - £100m it will cost to buy the club. 

I don't think it's reluctance on Nige's part either; how can it be with no contract offer on the table? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Negan said:

I’m very much let him have this season and move on. Done a great job but think it’s better, providing the club get it right (if you trust them too) to have a fresh approach and a better style of play. He’s been here a while now and imo the football is still rather poor/boring. Deserves this season but I’d like to see someone else taking charge next season, but that’s just me 

Yea I pretty much agree. See Pearson as a stabiliser not someone that will progress the club. He done his job and kept us up. Think time to look for a more progressive manager. There is risk involved for sure but NP is a safe option for me. That said, madness not to get a couple more players in after selling Scott. He doesn’t deserve to be left out to dry. 

• Like 4

He’s doing a really good job and has done phenomenal to inherit a team in financial turmoil with rock bottom morale, to steady the ship and guide us in becoming a club that’s financially stable with energy and promise throughout the squad.

He thoroughly deserves a new contract based on the job he’s done here.

Although you can also look at the success he’s had before joining us, the success at Leicester in achieving promotion, keeping them up and building the foundations for them to achieve the biggest underdog story in the history of the Premier League. He’s the best manager outside of the Premier League in my view, absolutely worth a new contract and absolutely worth backing should we wish to push on into the Premier League.

Edited by Fammyfan
  • Like 19

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea I pretty much agree. See Pearson as a stabiliser not someone that will progress the club. He done his job and kept us up. Think time to look for a more progressive manager. There is risk involved for sure but NP is a safe option for me. That said, madness not to get a couple more players in after selling Scott. He doesn’t deserve to be left out to dry. 

What is a 'progressive' manager ? Someone 'on the up'?  Like LJ was or Russell Martin or any line of bluffers we could mention.

You know our owner isn't capable of separating the wheat from the chaff in this regard?

Someone proven or safe is what he should stick to and we already have one.

• Like 16
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

What is a 'progressive' manager ? Someone 'on the up'?  Like LJ was or Russell Martin or any line of bluffers we could mention.

You know our owner isn't capable of separating the wheat from the chaff in this regard?

Someone proven or safe is what he should stick to and we already have one.

SL choosing is a good reason to not want to change from NP. I can concede that. Idk who, I think we have seen managers go to other places and do well though during NP tenure. Whether they could have been options with our finances idk.

Ryan Lowe was a good appointment and was impressed with them when they played us. Carrick struggling at the minute but think you saw a good style from him and seems he has some pull as far as recruitment. We’ll see how Eustace and Rosenior get on. 

It isn’t me having a go at NP for the job he has done. He has done his job well but he has also had help from Tinnion and Gould. Just like we always lump LJ and MA together lets put them together too. For all the good, we are still a pretty bad watch especially at home. We haven’t finished higher than 14th. And enough times I get left a bit baffled by his team selections and/or substitutions. I think on the days we have games, I still question whether he is a good fit or not. 

• Like 1

It’s up to Nige now to force SLs hand by pushing us towards the upper parts of the league during the season. He has no choice if NP does well really.

Its quite clever on SLs part because if we finish lower mid table, SL can sit back and say I was right not to back him with funds.

It is all very strange though as the job he’s done under the circumstances I would imagine any other champ club would have offered a new contract by now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't think it's reluctance on Nige's part either; how can it be with no contract offer on the table? 

Because he’s already told them he intends to retire?

I’m just playing devils advocate, and not saying that’s the case, or even that I think it is. But it’s a possibility, and fact is none of us know. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

It’s just possible that the reluctance to commit comes from him, not from the club?

I do think he would want certain assurances on investment to continue. I can’t see him wanting to undertake another two years of consolidation with the issues that brings having done three and knowing that fan frustration will only increase (that’s assuming we are in the midst of another consolidation season obviously!!). I wouldn’t blame him for that at all.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Honest answer is “don’t know”.

My hunch? He’d sign on for another year or two if offered.

He’s definitely frustrated about the money available to spend post Scott but thinks he’s building something.

Those who reckon his interests outside the game mean he’s slowing down or losing focus, have completely got the wrong end of the stick for me.

My hunch too. But maybe not as strongly as yours!

And not sure whether it’s other interests as much as just realising that there’s more to life than football - and he’s at retirement age. 

7 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

ts quite clever on SLs part because if we finish lower mid table, SL can sit back and say I was right not to back him with funds.

Albeit that could be challenged reasonably easily on the basis of not backing him resulting in the lower mid table finish. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

It’s up to Nige now to force SLs hand by pushing us towards the upper parts of the league during the season. He has no choice if NP does well really.

Its quite clever on SLs part because if we finish lower mid table, SL can sit back and say I was right not to back him with funds.

It is all very strange though as the job he’s done under the circumstances I would imagine any other champ club would have offered a new contract by now.

Steve can say “I was right” in his own echo chamber. The majority of fans know the score however. He would only be right in reality if the next Manager took the same group of players and did significantly better.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Honest answer is “don’t know”.

My hunch? He’d sign on for another year or two if offered.

He’s definitely frustrated about the money available to spend post Scott but thinks he’s building something.

Those who reckon his interests outside the game mean he’s slowing down or losing focus, have completely got the wrong end of the stick for me.

Agree Graham 

Clearly frustrated at times , but I think he’s enjoying the build , working with some decent young players and their personalities - (Heard or read somewhere that he enjoys the dressing room banter , especially amongst the younger lads)

We seem to have a good group who he has a bond with and may find it difficult to Chuck it in

I pray he doesn’t , Hes the quality and style of manager I’ve always wanted in our similar watching years

I don’t think he will end with a legacy of a promotion like Dicks , Cooper , Jordan , Ward , GJ , Cotts 

But, considering the job required , at this level ,  hes right up there in the conversation for the best manager we’ve had in my time IMHO

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

SL choosing is a good reason to not want to change from NP. I can concede that. Idk who, I think we have seen managers go to other places and do well though during NP tenure. Whether they could have been options with our finances idk.

Ryan Lowe was a good appointment and was impressed with them when they played us. Carrick struggling at the minute but think you saw a good style from him and seems he has some pull as far as recruitment. We’ll see how Eustace and Rosenior get on. 

It isn’t me having a go at NP for the job he has done. He has done his job well but he has also had help from Tinnion and Gould. Just like we always lump LJ and MA together lets put them together too. For all the good, we are still a pretty bad watch especially at home. We haven’t finished higher than 14th. And enough times I get left a bit baffled by his team selections and/or substitutions. I think on the days we have games, I still question whether he is a good fit or not. 

I fully agree that home form is a painful work in progress. Pearson tells us that in interviews including yesterday. However the fact we can at least go away from home and have significant spells of games on top is chalk and cheese to where we were when he took over and other Managers were calling us the worst side in the league after we’d scabbed a result off them. The laughable thing about that is our wage bill was at its highest during that period (£35m was what @Mr Popodopolous quoted the other day).