IGNORED

Forget new deals for players….get Nigel signed up now!

Shauntaylor85

20 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

Would hate to see Nige go but IF it happens, Mark Robbins for me

Sadly i get a feeling the ‘nest egg’ is being preserved for Robbins. Wouldn’t be a disaster to be fair, he is a decent manager at this level. Personally would love to see Pearson take us up though..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

It would be interesting to see a foreign coach here for a different perspective, nearly every other Championship club has, obviously one with a track record at this level.

It's interesting how these "keep Nige" threads pop up on OTIB after a win, whereas if we lose the next home game it will be more like "we need a change". I think he's done well in most areas but we've still never come close to finishing in the top half due to mostly poor results at home, I know that there have been financial constraints but would have thought by now we should have developed a style of play giving some better home performances, other coaches at clubs with limited resources have managed to do that. I'd certainly give him this season to prove me wrong but I'm not too optimistic, think we're heading for mid-table at best.

Wasn’t your take when Wonder Boy was in charge , though , was it 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Sadly i get a feeling the ‘nest egg’ is being preserved for Robbins. Wouldn’t be a disaster to be fair, he is a decent manager at this level. Personally would love to see Pearson take us up though..

It would be just typical of Lansdown to let our manager go in the vain hope of getting Robins, who is under a lengthy contract at Coventry. 

Robins has been high on my list of potential City managers in the past when we have had a vacancy. 

We don't have a vacancy. And nor should we in the near future.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That just sounds like a bunch of words put to gather to justify your feeling that he won’t get a contract.  That’s fine, it’s your opinion.

Well yes, it's a conclusion summarising my overall thoughts. As I say, it's as easy to rebut it as it is to write it, and so the debate extends ad nauseum.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Imho, Nige had the balls to come in and try to get us going.  I honestly believe lots would not have touched us with a barge pole!

Sure, and I agree, and if rumours are true then other men did turn us down given the constraints presented to them. But that just means that Pearson was up for it, he has then delivered, well done. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll deliver again in new circumstances.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing Devil’s advocate, what kind of things would go into planning properly to ensure success (as much as it can be ensured)?

Ensuring that, if Pearson is to leave, we keep enough of the good things he's done. Try to persuade some of the team to stay, make sure that whoever replaces him respects what he's done and builds on it rather than bins it and starts again. Treat it as a retirement and succession rather than a pivot to a different thing entirely. Ah ha! You may say, but that's easy if we just keep Pearson and he'll tweak things. In my opinion he won't. He's in his 60s, has been in the game long enough and has a stubborn streak that's seen him fall out with fans, owners, players and others rather than change. 

The man management point I sticking on. He gives chances, and that's good, and fine, but he ultimately sends people on their way rather than miraculously transforming them. Maybe not all can be saved by the gospel of Nige, but I think he's a limited man manager who works well with certain personalities rather than an inspiration pied piper who leads all.

@chinapig you and Fevs raised similar ripostes so hopefully the above largely answers you as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Superjack said:

It would be just typical of Lansdown to let our manager go in the vain hope of getting Robins, who is under a lengthy contract at Coventry. 

Robins has been high on my list of potential City managers in the past when we have had a vacancy. 

We don't have a vacancy. And nor should we in the near future.

It would be mate. We HAVE to back Pearson IMO. Would be a huge ‘what if’ i feel if we let him go without seeing what he can do with proper financial backing. Would be a huge mistake for me.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 7
  • Flames 2

On 04/09/2023 at 16:44, Bris Red said:

It would be mate. We HAVE to back Pearson IMO. Would be a huge ‘what if’ i feel if we let him go without seeing what he can do with proper financial backing. Would be a huge mistake for me.

I do agree. Complete guess is that the powers that be will take a view in Jan based on performance, and it may be that whether they chose to back NP or not at that time with a new contract, they are keeping their powder dry funds wise until that decision is made. There may appear to be some sense in that, but it feels NP is having to play that game with one hand tied behind his back.

Equally, presumably if he is not renewed then, he is sacked?  It would seem perverse to go in to the second half of the season with a manager who is clearly leaving.

14 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I do agree. Complete guess is that the powers that be will take a view in Jan based on performance, and it may be that whether they chose to back NP or not at that time with a new contract, they are keeping their powder dry funds wise until that decision is made. There may appear to be some sense in that, but it feels NP is having to play that game with one hand tied behind his back.

Equally, presumably if he is not renewed then, he is sacked?  It would seem perverse to go in to the second half of the season with a manager who is clearly leaving.

It’s at potentially uncertain times like this that you hope there is an identity both in playing style and alignment to that identity in recruitment.  Keeping a manager (I hope) or changing a manager (I hope not) should not impact on that.

Tins et all should be working towards the same / right targets regardless of manager, theoretically.

• Like 2

It could be so much worse: 

If I thought things couldn't possibly get much stranger after leaving the madness of Leeds United, I was wrong. One of the final acts of my 20-year professional football career was to grab hold of my manager in the dressing-room at halftime and attempt to fight him. To be fair, my agent at the time warned me that I wouldn't get on with Lee Johnson and tried to warn me against joining Oldham on loan from Bolton Wanderers. But I hadn't played a minute since joining Bolton and the chance was there to go and play some games.

"I'll give it a week before Johnson tells you he was on 10 grand a week at Bristol City," my agent said.

It actually took him two hours.

"Yeah, but wasn't your dad the manager?" I asked Johnson in reply. He didn't like that at all. From the first time we met, I just took a bit of a dislike to him because he really loved himself.

Edited by luke_bristol
  • Like 2

On 04/09/2023 at 16:18, Bris Red said:

Robins isn't for me unfortunately. 

He's very streaky like LJ. 1 win in 5 for them so far this season (against a very poor Boro) and also a loss to Wimbledon in the cup. 

Play very defensive and direct football at times. Our fans wouldn't have the patience for that. They often concede 3 or 4. 

But then it's possible they could go and win the next 5. 

With Nige, by and large our performances are quite consistent. The results maybe not so but we don't tend to go on losing or winning streaks.

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why on earth would Robins leave Coventry for us?

Blimey I'm the first one to rail against the 'Bristol City are small brigade' but they are getting similar crowds and splashing much more cash

Because he's applied for the job numerous times? Clearly he is fond of the club/area following his time here as a player and I'm assuming he has some sort of friendship with SL. 

Coventrys crowds are around the same die to recent successes. Before then it was very poor. They'd not be getting similar crowds if they were in our recent positions.

It wasn't that long ago that they were getting 6k at home in Coventry for league games. 

Coventry don't own their own stadium so that limits them and there isn't a long term deal to play there. 

Their training facilities are also lightyears behind ours. Their academy too. 

They've splashed the cash this summer and unless they go up then they will soon have to find themselves cost cutting.

• Hmmm 1

On 03/09/2023 at 12:14, italian dave said:

Because he’s already told them he intends to retire?

I’m just playing devils advocate, and not saying that’s the case, or even that I think it is. But it’s a possibility, and fact is none of us know. 

He hasn't, and he'd be happy to sign another contract if he was offered one

From the horse's mouth!

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

On 03/09/2023 at 11:37, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't agree with this. Even if Nige was on a 3 year contract now, the cost for a new owner to pay him off would be a drop in the ocean compared to the £80m - £100m it will cost to buy the club. 

I don't think it's reluctance on Nige's part either; how can it be with no contract offer on the table? 

I really wonder how you would go about marketing BCFC to potential buyers. Firstly the deal is complex due to the Bristol Sport situation. If BCFC was separated I guess Bristol Sport would still own the stadium and we would effectively ground share with Bears. Most owners like to own the ground because it gives them fixed costs, additional income and an asset to use to secure finance.

So lets review, on the plus side: a mid table Championship team with a very good academy, excellent training facilities, reasonably young team on fair wages good fan base with potential to grow. On the negative side, very complex structure to unravel. Hasn't made a profit for ever and relies on selling best young players to stay on the right side of FFP, no CEO in place, pricing probably does not reflect the product on offer and is based more on its potential.

For me the biggest negatives are the complexity of Bristol Sport and an owner who seems happy to wait whilst the club ticks over.

I reiterate what I said often, a 2-3 year deal ie from 2024 onwards and backing to add a bit of craft, a crucial 4th CB would be richly deserved and to our continued benefit. IMO anyway.

You can also wonder if budget for another definitive number one or someone to push O'Leary is required- as a big worrier on FFP we are well clear of it now, this policy of austerity even post Scott is very counterproductive.

Similarly a bit of that windfall could be used to frontload some business, to bring it forward.

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I really wonder how you would go about marketing BCFC to potential buyers. Firstly the deal is complex due to the Bristol Sport situation. If BCFC was separated I guess Bristol Sport would still own the stadium and we would effectively ground share with Bears. Most owners like to own the ground because it gives them fixed costs, additional income and an asset to use to secure finance.

So lets review, on the plus side: a mid table Championship team with a very good academy, excellent training facilities, reasonably young team on fair wages good fan base with potential to grow. On the negative side, very complex structure to unravel. Hasn't made a profit for ever and relies on selling best young players to stay on the right side of FFP, no CEO in place, pricing probably does not reflect the product on offer and is based more on its potential.

For me the biggest negatives are the complexity of Bristol Sport and an owner who seems happy to wait whilst the club ticks over.

Bristol sport do not own Ashton Gate, however, it would be very complex with regards to how integrated the football rugby basketball etc are becoming 

Edited by BS3_RED

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Ignoring the Stadium ownership , and not being Bristol Sport, lets look at it another way with a little optimism .

City + Bears + Flyers + Stadium + Arena. For an investor that could be an interesting set up.
Instead of one home game and the odd midweek fixture, to build a side and cover stadium costs, you have 3 or 4 games a fortnight and still have the flyers to add. Crowds in 2/3/4 times a week could boost income nicely. Then add say a Gig a month ?
Successful Rugby team that offsets Stadium costs and raises profile in different financial areas. Future World Cup games ?
Flyers & Arena ads interest, and if they were to become a top team, Basketball could be very big. Plus the Arena and Gigs could be another decent income stream. American touring teams ?
Hotel & parking ? Could bring more income . 

When you look at it in a different way, for the people that are likely to be targeted could be looking at that sort of set up.  Only takes one hugely rich man or corporation that gets Steve Lansdown's original vision and Bingo !

• Like 1

On 06/09/2023 at 19:52, luke_bristol said:

It could be so much worse: 

If I thought things couldn't possibly get much stranger after leaving the madness of Leeds United, I was wrong. One of the final acts of my 20-year professional football career was to grab hold of my manager in the dressing-room at halftime and attempt to fight him. To be fair, my agent at the time warned me that I wouldn't get on with Lee Johnson and tried to warn me against joining Oldham on loan from Bolton Wanderers. But I hadn't played a minute since joining Bolton and the chance was there to go and play some games.

"I'll give it a week before Johnson tells you he was on 10 grand a week at Bristol City," my agent said.

It actually took him two hours.

"Yeah, but wasn't your dad the manager?" I asked Johnson in reply. He didn't like that at all. From the first time we met, I just took a bit of a dislike to him because he really loved himself.

Please enlighten me.

I have considered (and ruled out) Paul Kitson and Steve Claridge, but can’t for the life of me work out who this was.