IGNORED

It is what it is (FoxPunter)

Davefevs

Some of you may have seen this guy on twitter before, profiling managers and being pretty spot on.

But he just posted this today.

IMG_8649.thumb.jpeg.fdbc721696bf8ab3df66b7656077c706.jpeg

I don’t profess to understand it all, but thought I’d share.

If anyone can summarise, it would be good to get your thoughts.

Heres his recent one of Nige:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some of you may have seen this guy on twitter before, profiling managers and being pretty spot on.

Excellent summary re LJ! #gungho

And Nige… makes the thought of SL not supporting him/wanting to replace him seem even more absurd.

Is the top one "running towards adversity" ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for sharing Dave. Always interesting to hear outsiders perspective on the club. 

I agree with his assessment of LJ vs Pearson as tactician vs man manager/culture developer.

My view and one that he misses altogether is that we're all content with NP because he's also maintained stability in league table position whilst selling major assets, moving on players who harmed our financial fair play obligations through high wages and brought through youth.

I believe NP as sporting director with a tactician manager would be a great evolution of his time with the club, but at 60 nowadays he probably still has a decade of managerial tenure left to spend (should he want to) and I don't know if this directions aligns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

image.png.7c1169e6f8dbaf4d54b2d4492b4daa6c.png

Pretty sure the Rolling Stones sang about this... 

I think you'll find it was Coldplay.

'When you try your best, but you don't succeed.

When you get what you want, but not what you need'

Pretty sure the Rolling Stones sang about this... 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It is what it is .

Edited by slartibartfast

I’m pretty sure there are several billion people in the world who would argue that sentence is a load of airy fairy bollox.

Summary of original post - the world is what it is - it might be shit for you. It might not. Luck of the draw.

You can work to improve your chances, but you have to have been generally lucky to start with.

Those people who are more lucky tell people who are less lucky, just roll with, **** all you can do about it anyway. 

(My interpretation as one of the luckily generally lucky ones)

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’m pretty sure there are several billion people in the world who would argue that sentence is a load of airy fairy bollox.

Summary of original post - the world is what it is - it might be shit for you. It might not. Luck of the draw.

You can work to improve your chances, but you have to have been generally lucky to start with.

Those people who are more lucky tell people who are less lucky, just roll with, **** all you can do about it anyway. 

(My interpretation as one of the luckily generally lucky ones)

Yes, generally people underplay the significance luck has had in their lives. Good and bad.

Then there is determinism. A school of thought (and one increasingly backed by science) that you actually have very little impact on how your life plays out. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, generally people underplay the significance luck has had in their lives. Good and bad.

Then there is determinism. A school of thought (and one increasingly backed by science) that you actually have very little impact on how your life plays out. 

Yes, the idea that we all get the cards we are dealt with on day one, but we do have the option to play them at different times.

I think I was pretty much a bum, until I was in mid 30's, I was married and had a daughter but I was always waiting for something or someone to come along and show me what I should be doing with myself. 

This quote was instrumental in me changing that. Yes I was still reliant on others and external forces to some extent, but I made the choice to go with the flow and make the best of where the route took me, rather than bemoaning my luck.

That positivity made me more optimistic and I think made me a more engaging person, someone people wanted to employ and work with.  

I did enough in the last 25 years that I was able to take COVID and the offer of redundancy as an opportunity to retire 7 years early. I am not rich, but I am comfortable and most of all I am happier than I have been in my whole life. 

Thanks to Charles........

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.  It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.  It will make or break a company... a church... a home.  The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes”

Charles R Swindoll

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.  It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.  It will make or break a company... a church... a home.  The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

Charles R Swindoll

That's next weeks team talk sorted then, @Silvio Dante!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, the idea that we all get the cards we are dealt with on day one, but we do have the option to play them at different times.

I think I was pretty much a bum, until I was in mid 30's, I was married and had a daughter but I was always waiting for something or someone to come along and show me what I should be doing with myself. 

This quote was instrumental in me changing that. Yes I was still reliant on others and external forces to some extent, but I made the choice to go with the flow and make the best of where the route took me, rather than bemoaning my luck.

That positivity made me more optimistic and I think made me a more engaging person, someone people wanted to employ and work with.  

I did enough in the last 25 years that I was able to take COVID and the offer of redundancy as an opportunity to retire 7 years early. I am not rich, but I am comfortable and most of all I am happier than I have been in my whole life. 

Charles R Swindoll

The great rock n roll Swindoll. 

• Hmmm 1

20 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Charles R Swindoll

Very true.

Certainly, chasing money as an endorsement of success doesn't bring happiness. 

You need enough to be able to live free of debt and be relatively comfortable, but if you get caught in the aspirational lifestyle/envy mindset you'll be forever chasing your tail and never satisfied.

I earn less than I did a decade ago, but am much happier which boils down to being in charge of my own destiny, being in a nice environment and a loving relationship. 

I could earn more if I took fewer holidays, was away from my family more, was more ruthless, paid employees less.  But I don't want to do those things. Why live for work, when you can live AND work?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you need"

23 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Isn't the Mike Holden message a little different though? That quote points out that we consistently get what we need, rather than might get what you need or might find the wrong thing.

Does he mean basic needs here, like air, water, food etc etc?

I personally find the phrase a bit odd. It's very stoic, and suggestive of accepting of things out of our control, but I'm not sure it encourages reflection? It's more a shrug and move on kind of phrase.

21 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Charles R Swindoll

There's still room and opportunity in the world of work, at least, for people with a great attitude, employers will always want employees that turn up, on time, and those that can bring a bit of can-do cheerful positivity (like LJ!) That’s what I tell my eldest, anyway. Pity I wasn't like that at her age. I was more like Cotts when he didn't get Andre Gray and refused to fill his bench. 

I also tell her that she can put money aside and save for her future, or a deposit on a small, dingy place somewhere horrible that not many others want. If, next time Harry Styles puts on a show, she goes once not twice, and does not upgrade from a £100 ticket to a £300 VIP inner circle/right at the front bleedin' ticket.

Saving is a bit of an attitude thing too, I reckon. My attitude would be: I'll be darned if I'm giving Harry Styles £400 plus quid. 

• Haha 1