IGNORED

New 'stealth' away kit (dedicated thread)

Thomas_red

Yesterday city released their 'stealth' away kit, although if you haven't checked social media you might not know from checking the forum as the release is only being discussed alongside grievances with O'Neils as a manufacturer on another topic thread.

So, for the kit connoisseurs among you, here's a dedicated thread to evaluate the release - kit design, history and release media.

Personally I think this is one of the most successful kit designs in recent years and it's heartening to see the relationship between club and manufacturer grow. I didn't realise the 'City' in a circle was a nod to a programme from the 70's but I love this as a point of inspiration and the modern twist of 'stickerising' it (technical term) by overlaying them on one another to create a more abstract shirt pattern is a great touch.

The collar - through being less of a talking point than our home shirt - is a triumph. The purple and lime detailing appears to mimic some kind of graphic equaliser is again a nice detail that nods to Bristol's musical heritage. Most importantly it's the right size ;)

The launch and marketing - spot on. Local places. Mix of mens and womens team. Production value is high.

The negatives -  I do agree as a 'set of three' our 2023/24 line up does lack design consistency. And the bird 'splat' was a pretty big failure too. But those are the other kits/training wear so whilst overall we've not smashed it I do think this release is a winner.

So... what do we think? The site crash/out of stock messages suggests a positive sentiment is shared by other city fans but I'd love to know your thoughts.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 11.31.47.png

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 11.31.41.png

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 11.31.26.png

• Like 5

• The title was changed to New 'stealth' away kit (dedicated thread)
20 minutes ago, Thomas_red said:

Yesterday city released their 'stealth' away kit, although if you haven't checked social media you might not know from checking the forum as the release is only being discussed alongside grievances with O'Neils as a manufacturer on another topic thread.

So, for the kit connoisseurs among you, here's a dedicated thread to evaluate the release - kit design, history and release media.

Personally I think this is one of the most successful kit designs in recent years and it's heartening to see the relationship between club and manufacturer grow. I didn't realise the 'City' in a circle was a nod to a programme from the 70's but I love this as a point of inspiration and the modern twist of 'stickerising' it (technical term) by overlaying them on one another to create a more abstract shirt pattern is a great touch.

The collar - through being less of a talking point than our home shirt - is a triumph. The purple and lime detailing appears to mimic some kind of graphic equaliser is again a nice detail that nods to Bristol's musical heritage. Most importantly it's the right size ;)

The launch and marketing - spot on. Local places. Mix of mens and womens team. Production value is high.

The negatives -  I do agree as a 'set of three' our 2023/24 line up does lack design consistency. And the bird 'splat' was a pretty big failure too. But those are the other kits/training wear so whilst overall we've not smashed it I do think this release is a winner.

So... what do we think? The site crash/out of stock messages suggests a positive sentiment is shared by other city fans but I'd love to know your thoughts.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 11.31.47.png

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 11.31.41.png

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 11.31.26.png

I like the look of this kit and it appears to  have a lot more thought behind it than the others which , in fairness, came out pretty quickly by necessity. 
I do not , however , like a black or dark kit as it would seem to blend in with the shadows of a stadium and therefore be harder for a player to find a pass rapidly to his teammates. 
Sir Alex Ferguson was ridiculed when he changed his team’s grey kit at halftime for this very reason.

I am a big fan of purple and lime which not only stands out but was unique to us  when we first started wearing the kit. Now other clubs have adopted the colours it is a bit less emblematic of Bristol City . 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Personally prefer the Bristol Sport black away shirt with the red badge. As that is /was the only shirt I have ever bought I can now resurrect  it and wear to away games without looking out of place.

With the number of different colours across the range of kits and training wear, you could wear a harlequin outfit and fit in.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I really like it, I’m tempted to buy one and I haven’t bought a City shirt in years despite playing a lot of football.

First one I’ve bought on release day for a while tbf. Hope that the concerns around quality aren’t true and it feels as good as it looks

10 minutes ago, frenchred said:

A small is just that, small, a XL is quite large with med and large fitting in between. Extra small goes before the small and XXL after the XL

Hope this helps?

The Hummel kit for women was quite small, and quite confusing. Some were sent as S, M or L and some as 8, 10, 12 etc…and there was no correlation between the two. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I like the look of this kit and it appears to  have a lot more thought behind it than the others which , in fairness, came out pretty quickly by necessity. 
I do not , however , like a black or dark kit as it would seem to blend in with the shadows of a stadium and therefore be harder for a player to find a pass rapidly to his teammates. 
Sir Alex Ferguson was ridiculed when he changed his team’s grey kit at halftime for this very reason.

We'll only wear it when it's been snowing....

I hope it sells well and makes the club some money but for me i think it's awful. Hate the pattern, our (JLs) obsession with dragging retro kits and images up to re-use ran its course 3 years ago and I think it's become a lazy excuse for design inspiration. 
Please let a paid kit designer actually design the kit next year. 

2 hours ago, cideredulwich said:

Any idea on sizing? pretty normal?

I went into the shop today and tried a Medium, which was true enough to size/fit.

The sleeves and collar are a different fabric though and can feel a bit tight/snug. I don’t know why club decides this type of design, but I remember it last being a ‘thing’ on the 2015/16 home shirt and then the purple 3rd shirt from 2016/17.

I had to take the shirt off as my neck was itchy and going red within seconds! Having stubble sets it off ? Not going to bother myself…

Now all three kits are out, my son decided he wanted the black away kit this season, so I claimed a 5-6yrs shirt with his season card. My son is average in build and height etc for his size and it was too small. Same again with the shorts. So he has 7-8yrs which is a bit of a surprise!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is an observation not a criticism (because I’ve moaned enough) but have just seen this on twitter and it doesn’t look very black in daylight…?

I'm more alarmed by the sunglasses and backwards cap than how dark the shirt is!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

I hope it sells well and makes the club some money but for me i think it's awful. Hate the pattern, our (JLs) obsession with dragging retro kits and images up to re-use ran its course 3 years ago and I think it's become a lazy excuse for design inspiration. 
Please let a paid kit designer actually design the kit next year. 

It's not helped by the half water melons all over it imo.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is an observation not a criticism (because I’ve moaned enough) but have just seen this on twitter and it doesn’t look very black in daylight…?

"I'd like it in light black please."

"Certainly sir. White it is."

It looks lighter than my slate grey t-shirt. Maybe it's the camera getting confused?

1 hour ago, Kinell said:

Completely out of stock in women's fit, as is the home kit. I'm not wearing that yellow abomination so looking like I won't have a shirt this season.

Check in store if you can, as the online stock is not currently aligned with store stock.

There were loads of stock of the away kit still to be unpacked in the store today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Check in store if you can, as the online stock is not currently aligned with store stock.

There were loads of stock of the away kit still to be unpacked in the store today.

Yup. Went in there earlier and they had loads available. Wether that remains the case after opening tmrw though, who knows!

It’s easily the best of the 3 kits and whilst not as good as the grey Hummel one I can see this being a big seller. 

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

it's also back to front :ph34r:

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Yup. Went in there earlier and they had loads available. Wether that remains the case after opening tmrw though, who knows!

did you get one each for the family, Mr C?

• Haha 1