IGNORED

Why recreational drug use needs to stop now.

Major Isewater

18 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I would like to share this article from a journalist who explains what the consequences of recreational drug use are to thousands of people across the globe. 

IMG_7212.jpeg

Absolutely. Organised crime in general but particularly the drug gangs are the main reason for all the stabbings/shooting/killings we sadly hear about all too often. County lines gangs using kids hardly out of primary school to peddle this shit FFS. Anyone who takes part in this shit has blood on their hands. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Why would you want to legalise cocaine?

Because you will never stop the demand for illegal drugs.If it is legalised,the quality can be assured, it can be taxed and some of that money can be used to support addicts,it will cripple the income of criminal gangs.The authorities can not and never will be able to stop the illegal trade of drugs, and the profits made by criminal gangs unless it is legalised. Sadly it is a war the authorities can't win and only ignorance and stubbornness has prevented them from taking radical measures years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2

It is well worth watching on C4player/hub thingy last month's Guy Martin 2 parter Our Guy In Colombia. 

As well as pedal bike racing without pedals, Guy investigates how drugs are made and talks to those who know a lot about Cocaine plus a certain drug lord. He gets to see a smuggling submarine as well. 

Colombia looks like an incredible country and Guy Martin wants to go back there and maybe one day without all the security arrangements.

1 hour ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Valid point, but it has gone badly in Oregon, with a sharp rise in deaths from OD'ing!

So they aren't controlling it properly or educating people, it will be a learning process. Usually the problem with ODing is that they aren't used to that quality of drug.

1 hour ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Valid point, but it has gone badly in Oregon, with a sharp rise in deaths from OD'ing!

That'll be opioids though right?

Drug policy just needs a complete revamp from top to bottom doesn't it? But a big problem is that none of us know what the end point really looks like. Complete bans clearly aren't working, complete legalisation across the board would be inevitably dangerous, and anything in between is tricky because we are already so poor at categorising them, and they impact different people in different ways.

In my opinion, and of course many will disagree, the actual act of taking some party drugs occasionally probably isn't too bad. If all you're doing is creating a bit of euphoria at a festival or a gig a few times a year, the health issue is probably far less compared to something like alcoholism. But how on earth would you facilitate something like that without inducing addiction and of course causing these crime issues?

Similarly, more and more research is coming out and has been for years, to suggest that some of the more natural drugs are beneficial in their own way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that a shroom trip is particularly dangerous at all, and yet it's a Class A and could theoretically land you 7 years in prison for possession. Where's the sense in that? On the psychedelic front, some of the greatest minds of the past few decades took acid, and at least a couple attribute their skill and success to that.

The opening poster makes a great point about the morality of it but it's naive to think that we could guilt-trip people into stopping on that front. It needs to be either banned, or legalised to an extent that the power is taken from the dealers. But is that even possible?

I'm not backing a blanket legalisation at all - I'm just trying to demonstrate that there are a million different perspectives here and it's almost impossible to legislate fairly for all. All I know is, the current system is not working.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Probably isn't too bad. If all you're doing is creating a bit of euphoria at a festival or a gig a few times a year, the health issue is probably far less compared to something like alcoholism. But how on earth would you facilitate something like that without inducing addiction and of course causing these crime issues?

The crime is linked to the illegality and consequent cost of the drugs concerned.

Alcohol is an addictive drug, but no one has to burgle houses or go on the game to afford it. The fact it can be legally produced in vast quantities and sold in a large number of everyday outlets means even unemployable alcoholics have enough money in benefits to achieve their "fix". 

The Portuguese experiment with decriminalisation seems to suggest you do not create more addicts, although you have to use the money saved on pointless enforcement and incarceration programmes, with programmes that offer genuine help and support for those who do develop addiction issues. 

43 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The crime is linked to the illegality and consequent cost of the drugs concerned.

Alcohol is an addictive drug, but no one has to burgle houses or go on the game to afford it. The fact it can be legally produced in vast quantities and sold in a large number of everyday outlets means even unemployable alcoholics have enough money in benefits to achieve their "fix". 

The Portuguese experiment with decriminalisation seems to suggest you do not create more addicts, although you have to use the money saved on pointless enforcement and incarceration programmes, with programmes that offer genuine help and support for those who do develop addiction issues. 

Yeah exactly. That was literally the point of my post, how would you even legalise it to an extent that it is recreationally 'suitable', without creating future addicts (your Portugal point is noted) and just as importantly without the subsequent crime surrounding it. Though probably my fault for not being clear!

Edited by nebristolred
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Slacker said:

Why the confusion major?What part/s do you disagree with?

It’s a ‘thought provoking ‘ emoji I believe ? 
I understand the logic of legalising drugs. 
I think we need to be looking at educating users. Tobacco and alcohol sales are down globally , I believe, due to pressure from the gouvernment , health lobbies etc People have , reluctantly , changed their habits . Anyone who uses Cocaine should look at how it’s made , it is terrifying what people  are putting into their bodies. 
I don’t have all the answers but for all the suffering that drugs cause it can’t be worth the ‘high ‘ .