IGNORED

Wade Elliot

Impossible situation this season. Probably smallest budget in the league (FGR's budget last season was way higher than Cheltenham) and let their best player Alfie May and others leave in the summer with no adequate replacement. He'd scored 43 goals in 2 seasons.

They were favourites for relegation this season before it started and barring a miracle they will be relegated whoever the manager is. Most of the very small clubs that they could compete with got relegated last season. 

• Like 2

On 20/09/2023 at 20:17, Davefevs said:

He’s done a great job there.  Probably raised expectations too high last season.  

Their 2nd highest ever finish apparently in what was a very big ask to even keep them in L1.

Thought his post match comments were quite apt before he went:

When arguing he was still the best person for the job, Elliott made a perfectly valid point after the defeat at Peterborough, saying: "This club at this level is always going to go through sticky periods.

"People might not want to hear that, but that is the truth, we are always swimming against the tide.

"If you think someone else is going to come in, click their fingers and all of a sudden we're going to transform into a top team in this division, then I think we're all kidding ourselves."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Really good reasons too. 

Only one I read was that he didn't want to follow Wade, as he's a mate. Not really buying that.

The cynic in me expects the truth is that he doesn't want to take over the club in L1 with the lowest budget. Cheltenham's budget is lower than Forest Green Rovers. Put another way; I expect he knows he'll get a better offer from a more viable L1 club soon enough. 

Relegation will probably do them some good, as they can rebuild and try and grow. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot