IGNORED

One for you gamers

Silvio Dante

I’m way too old for this kind of thing, but my son got very excited when he saw this news…

Edit: He’s assuming you can use Ashton Gate in the whole game. And if you want Rovers ground as your backdrop, apparently you just need to fire up the ZX Spectrum and it’s true to life

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m way too old for this kind of thing, but my son got very excited when he saw this news…

I remember buying FIFA 96 on the OG Playstation. My first footy game was Emlyn Hughes' Soccer (or Football) on the C64, and my favourite was Kick Off on the Amiga, although I think Sensi was more popular (I only ever played the demo).

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I remember buying FIFA 96 on the OG Playstation. My first footy game was Emlyn Hughes' Soccer (or Football) on the C64, and my favourite was Kick Off on the Amiga, although I think Sensi was more popular (I only ever played the demo).

Sensible World of Soccer on Amiga was, is, and will forever be, the GOAT.

Used to play CM on the Amiga then Pc before life (and football manager being a full time job) got in the way. I believe there is a CM01/02 that gets updated each season but I don’t even have enough time to play that!

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Match Day on the Spectrum for me. Loved Kick Off on the Amiga and Sensi was legendary. My cousin was in the World of Soccer version. Played for the Adelaide Blue Eagles!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Match Day on the Spectrum for me. Loved Kick Off on the Amiga and Sensi was legendary. My cousin was in the World of Soccer version. Played for the Adelaide Blue Eagles!

Kick was so good. It also had a couple of add ons* that in hindsight were way ahead of their time, in the case of pitch types, still not copied**.

*Kick off 2 - Return to Europe. I think it was the first game that let you play as an actual real team, with real player names.

**The other one was called Final Whistle I think. It introduced pitched types, that really impacted the play - bumpy pitches were a wild ride. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Kick was so good. It also had a couple of add ons* that in hindsight were way ahead of their time, in the case of pitch types, still not copied**.

*Kick off 2 - Return to Europe. I think it was the first game that let you play as an actual real team, with real player names.

**The other one was called Final Whistle I think. It introduced pitched types, that really impacted the play - bumpy pitches were a wild ride. 

Yep, great memories. It was a benchmark game.

It probably caused more fights with my brother than anything else growing up. That and Actua Soccer on PS1 with its almost surgically accurate, VAR like offsides. Many a controller thrown in fury with that one.

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Final whistle, that takes me back to hours of enjoyment. Remember you could then swerve the ball and the refs were all a mixed bag (Screech was a nightmare if I recall. Dished out reds for fun)

23 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

I blame Kick Off and Sensible Soccer on the Amiga for my hatred of football games… or more precisely, I blame my brother beating me at least 8-0 every game we played.

I did like Football Manager on the Spectrum and Kevin Keegan’s Championship Manager on the N64 though.

Spent hours on Football Manager, another landmark game. Kevin Toms is still making them and released a free to play management game on iOS and Android this year.

Also spent a fair bit of time on the underrated Football Director on the Spectrum.

Shout out for Footballer of the Year as well.

Edited by Gazred
  • Like 2

International Soccer on c64 was very playable.

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/International_Soccer

image.thumb.png.bdf1a3387f42cdbd2da7d16f0d0e4548.png

Better than match day on spectrum imho.

Must’ve had every Footie Manager game both Spectrum and c64 at some point.  Kevin Toms Football Manager was of course the 🐐 even with 20-min load times.

The Double on c64 was good, although whoever did the City data had loads of names wrong.  You also had to predict the attendance to ensure you had enough policing, and would get fined if you didn’t allocate enough.

Getting a PC and getting Championship Manager was many wasted hours over the years!

image.png.44a9f409c44c8b9c54de0ecd06542700.png

My first version.

Saw something the other week on twitter where they identified the person on the box, he was an actor.  Just assumed it was their dad or someone.

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Must’ve had every Footie Manager game both Spectrum and c64 at some point.  Kevin Toms Football Manager was of course the 🐐 even with 20-min load times.

The Double on c64 was good, although whoever did the City data had loads of names wrong.  You also had to predict the attendance to ensure you had enough policing, and would get fined if you didn’t allocate enough.

Getting a PC and getting Championship Manager was many wasted hours over the years!

My first version.

Saw something the other week on twitter where they identified the person on the box, he was an actor.  Just assumed it was their dad or someone.

Never owned a C64 it always had the better graphics but as per the era it was always a numbers game with the management games. Not surprised at all you've clearly loved the data from a young age!

Champ Manager...the next landmark and of course we all know what it's become these days. TBH I've found the last decade of FM games too involved bit probably showing my age. My last addiction to it was years back. Fantastic stuff though. Hats off to the Collyer bros.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Edit: He’s assuming you can use Ashton Gate in the whole game. And if you want Rovers ground as your backdrop, apparently you just need to fire up the ZX Spectrum and it’s true to life

Just to confirm Ashton Gate will not be in the game from release but will be added in an update later on in the year I believe.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My first version.

It’s not wasted hours 😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gazred said:

Never owned a C64 it always had the better graphics but as per the era it was always a numbers game with the management games. Not surprised at all you've clearly loved the data from a young age!

Champ Manager...the next landmark and of course we all know what it's become these days. TBH I've found the last decade of FM games too involved bit probably showing my age. My last addiction to it was years back. Fantastic stuff though. Hats off to the Collyer bros.

I haven’t played it for years either.

20 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

It’s not wasted hours 😡

Haha, you’re biased.

41 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Subbuteo spread out on the meal table anyone?

I bought a set for the kids as I had so many fond memories, which led to my old stuff being rescued from my parents loft.

The kids aren’t that bothered, but every so often me and some mates get a few beers in and have a few games. 

• Like 2

Don't know if anyone else will remember this (that or my memory's faulty) but there used to be a football game way back in the day on the ZX Spectum+.

I used to play it with my mate who it belonged to. What griped us about it was that every English club was featured in that game, including Rovers, except Bristol City. City was was left out, nowhere to be found. Me and my mate were convinced the developers of that pretty crappy game were Rovers fans, it was the only explanation! Can't remember the name of that game, but it was around 1986.