IGNORED

Stoke City at home match thread

57 minutes ago, tin said:

We deserved to lose that, but it’s so painfully clear we are bloody desperate for some real quality to make a tangible difference in games like these. 

When’s even a small portion of the nest egg going to be made available, Steve? You talk about PL but that will never happen if you don’t win games like that, and a bit of quality is the difference. 

Meant to say, “we didn’t deserve to lose that…”

• Like 1

Stoke fan here and i must say im not sure whether im more surprised by the views on here or the fact we won.

* The ref without giving any match defining decisions was the worst and most home biased ref I've ever seen.  There were three big decisions that could have gone differently though, one where leris shirt was pulled back whilst past the back line (could have been red with VAR or if it was a stoke player doing the pulling) and a penalty appeal for both sides (both could have been given).

* Apart from the two gifts we gave you, I dont remember any shot of threat.  To be fair the reason weve lost so many games is because of very similar mistakes weve made rather than any other reason.

* Despite winning today, it was possibly our poorest performance of the season.  Partly because of missing key players but more likely down to your football style of giving up midfield press high with the front three, whilst sitting in deep and waiting to counter attack.  

* With that lead I was surprised you didnt want to dominate the ball and control the tempo of the game.  You only created chances when hitting the ball long quickly into the channels.  That said If we had Bell i'd hit the left channel all the time too.

* Until today we've been the weakest biggest diving team in our games, but your boys dived all over the place today, which to be fair i would if the ref bought every single one of them.

* Sykes mugged off Gooch who as an injured right winger was to be expected.  Bringing on Junior (an actual defender) made it so you weren't as effective on your right.  That said I thought Yeboah looked bright, but in key moments lacked composure.

* You lifted the ball in the air alot to just press the team high rather than try and beat a team on the floor.  Something we used to do alot when Pearson was an assistant manager here.

* You are well organised, our goals apart from the last one would have been low xg chances, so you will probably keep a decent amount of clean sheets.

* You are a good championship team that with a good few results could be at the top of the table again, but might need someone with a little less graft and more craft.

* Youll end up higher than us in the league, as we have had too much change this summer and the teams too inexperienced.

* But today, cant believe you gave that lead up today and you rightly lost.

Edited by nonameface
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, 22A said:

Wednesday, City play at Rotherham. Guess what; they are on a bad run of results and are coming up against City.

Three days later City are at Leeds. Will the team stay in Yorks or come back Thursday and go up again on Friday?

Stay up I'd have thought if they have the loan of decent facilities?

Not sure how we threw that away from 2-0 up against a poor Stoke side. 

We played some good football, but our defending for their goals was terrible and we were wasteful in attack. I was surprised when NP replaced the entire front three because we’d been causing them problems. Cornick played well but we didn’t look clinical at all after the changes. 

49 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Not quite sure how you think it’s rare

That was a typical Bristol City performance under Pearson. So weak  

To be 2-0 up against a team that are very average - and to lose 2-3 - is completely unacceptable . Mentally weak 

I really look forward to the day Pearson moves on . 

Yes because none of our previous managers ever lost a game from a commanding position did they.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Edited it for accuracy 

Tbh part is that, part is cost of running a club outside the PL and especially at this level.

He hasn't half picked a bad time to go conservative however, spending and approach wise.

NP is working with one hand tied behind his back tbh and that is on SL.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
1 hour ago, Dan Robin said:

Weak for 75 minutes?!? What game did you watch?!? 🤨  Only criticism today can be defending for one or two of their goals, but for the rest we were superior: that's why it hurts.

Anyway, let's hope this missed chance will be followed by a positive reaction.

We conceded 3 goals in those 75 from a starting position of 2-0. We scored 0 goals in those 75 and conceded 3 from a low amount of attacking pressure from Stoke. I mean what do you consider to be classed as weak? We had about 7% more possession over 90 mins and 1 more shot on target over the 90, again this includes the 2-0 headstart. IMO we were weak because we lost at home to a side in terrible form from a massive winning position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, One Team said:

Quite a shock result that. We played pretty well at times but really need to put away and make more of those chances. The quadruple substitution was odd though and for me Max had a very poor game. 

Why was that a shock result?

So we've won the last five games at Stoke.

Yet they have now won four and drawn one out of the last six at Ashton Gate.

Oh well, goodbye to us being in the top six, if we lose games like that. Talk about inconsistent and unable to convert our chances and to shut out the away team.

• Like 2

We have so many fans who are so reactive to a single result it's unreal. 

We could have been out of sight, and then they score a worldie out of nothing and it gave them some confidence. Some poor individual choices at times but even when it was 2-2, we looked more likely to be the team to get the 3 points. Some of the things posted on here are laughable.

Anyone would think this was a performance like the Birmingham one, it was far from it - even if some questionable defending was on show.

A horrible result that's pretty hard to take, but it certainly wasn't some sort of relegation performance.

• Like 13
52 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Why was that a shock result?

So we've won the last five games at Stoke.

Yet they have now won four and drawn one out of the last six at Ashton Gate.

Oh well, goodbye to us being in the top six, if we lose games like that. Talk about inconsistent and unable to convert our chances and to shut out the away team.

Because we played pretty well, were two nil up but ended up losing. 

41 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

As a ST holder, who struggles to make it to away games, the biggest frustration is that under NP we have still not been able to make AG a fortress. 

To those who get the pleasure of watching us win on the road I salute you. But FFS I am pissed off that we can’t make more of our games at AG.

The new Ashton Gate is a problem. It looks great but we’ve lost something. It’s a nice day out for away sides, stick them to top of Lansdown and give us a better home advantage. 

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I hate Alex Neil. And he has flipping hex over us whoever he is managing! Plus his sides are always the same muscular sh!thousery…

I am so glad we didn’t ever appoint him. Awful to watch. At least Johnson didn’t score! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I am so glad we didn’t ever appoint him. Awful to watch. At least Johnson didn’t score! 

@Dr Balls

He's a churlish well I won't swear on an open forum but yeah- highly dislikable with a terrible football ethos covers it well.

He is a sly disingenuous tosser in short and always has been.

https://www.ireland-live.ie/news/football/1311475/i-didnt-enjoy-any-part-of-that-game-says-alex-neil-after-last-gasp-stoke-win.html

Edited by Mr Popodopolous