IGNORED

Stoke City at home match thread

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Don't think they like you very much either Mr P

Yes I suspect so, but there we go...Aston Villa fans, Derby fans also weren't keen based on their forums but reading social media I don't much care for Stoke fans.

Watching the extended highlights those who ran forward in the Atyeo when they equalised, I do hope they got ejected.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

I thought we played really well , I also was impressed by Harry Cornick when him came on , far better in the centre 

Agree that Cornick is far better through the middle. Not sure that he still carries a huge goal threat but he certainly creates chances. And as gangly and awkward as he appears most of the time, the ball so often seems to stick to him. He must be a bit of a nightmare to defend against. Whether he could play in a pair with Conway is something to consider for the rest of the season.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes I suspect so, but there we go...Aston Villa fans, Derby fans also weren't keen based on their forums but reading social media I don't much care for Stoke fans.

Three that I also don't like as well.

All from roughly the same part of the country.

💩💩💩

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m talking about the way we played, not the way the result / scoreline changed!

It wasn’t as if their first goal went in and you saw the players shrink into themselves, hide from the ball, etc.  not like Reading a few season ago, 2-0 up at home, they score, and you see the players basically accept they are gonna lose…which we did 3-2.  Every pass goes astray, can’t get out if our half, etc.

Yesterday only one side looked like getting the winner yesterday…us.

The fact we didn’t and they did was a travesty really, and isolated errors cost us.

Mate, just give it up.

You are not debating a poster with a valid footballing opinion/argument, you are responding to a poster who has an agenda. Better off putting him on ignore as it's the same in any game when there is a chance of his usual moan. Just a very sad individual who needs some attention from somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Officiating aside, some of the chances we missed.

The Naismith one at 2-2. The Yeboah one fair enough the Stoke defender got back best well but by the same token had we shown that desire for at least one of the Stoke goals we wouldn't have lost. Their 1st and 3rd were relatively soft to concede even if the 1st was a great strike.

Couldn't work out how Naismith missed, maybe awkward height ?

Yeboah seemed to be waiting for it to come onto his right foot, more experience ( Nahki or TC ) I think take it with your left. 

Not sure who TGH thought he was, Van Basten would have thought twice about hitting that shot that nearly smashed into the KFC.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

That aside, I thought he did well when he came on. 

Last week at Leicester, I thought he was very good & used the ball well but yesterday I thought he was really poor & wasteful.  Also could have done better to stop cross for third goal.  Whilst he can cover RB, I thinks it’s clear that he’s a CM.  All about opinions and maybe I’m being harsh but his two recent performances were like chalk & cheese.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I could be wrong, I can could check, but to my recollection one vs Norwich at home 31st October 2020 and then subsequently the only one was vs Hull in February this year. 

If anyone can remember any others in the League at home in the League in that period.. but I can't..

Just checked and someone has edited Wikipedia wrongly..claimed that James goal v Plymouth was a penalty which it certainly was not.

I believe the record of HOME penalties for previous 5 seasons is :

--------------------------------------------

Season 2018/19  07/10/18 v Sheffield Wednesday - Matty Taylor

Season 2018/19  12/02/19 v QPR - Famara Diedhiou

Season 2019/20  29/12/19 v Luton Town  Famara Diedhiou

Season 2020/21  24/10/20 v Swansea City - Nahki Wells

Season 2021/22 ----- NONE -----

Season 2022/23  25/02/23 v Hull City - Nahki Wells

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, FForbes said:

I believe the record of HOME penalties for previous 5 seasons is :

Season 2018/19  07/10/18 v Sheffield Wednesday - Matty Taylor

Season 2018/19  12/02/19 v QPR - Famara Diedhiou

Season 2019/20  29/12/19 v Luton Town  Famara Diedhiou

Season 2020/21  24/10/20 v Swansea City - Nahki Wells

Season 2021/22 ----- NONE -----

Season 2022/23  25/02/23 v Hull City - Nahki Wells

We got one v Norwich but missed it too in 2020-21, was Wells iirc.

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not nice pointing fingers but Pring needed to be stronger for their first goal. How he’s let the attacker get the ball so easy and, in fairness to to guy, smash one top bins like that I do not know. Pring was great going forward yesterday but was definitely caught out for their first.

If we hung on to that 2-0 lead for longer we more likely would have seen the game out.

My view as it happened was that the Stoke player did something that they were successfully doing all afternoon, giving Pring a nudge as he was about to jump which gave him the opportunity to lean on him. Of course you can also say that Pring is experienced enough to see that coming but getting outmuscled at home is what we seem to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

My view as it happened was that the Stoke player did something that they were successfully doing all afternoon, giving Pring a nudge as he was about to jump which gave him the opportunity to lean on him. Of course you can also say that Pring is experienced enough to see that coming but getting outmuscled at home is what we seem to do.

Shouldn't that be called a as foul more often than not?

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m talking about the way we played, not the way the result / scoreline changed!

It wasn’t as if their first goal went in and you saw the players shrink into themselves, hide from the ball, etc.  not like Reading a few season ago, 2-0 up at home, they score, and you see the players basically accept they are gonna lose…which we did 3-2.  Every pass goes astray, can’t get out if our half, etc.

Yesterday only one side looked like getting the winner yesterday…us.

The fact we didn’t and they did was a travesty really, and isolated errors cost us.

The trouble is that these isolated errors happen too frequently. Our home form is so erratic that it's expected by many that we cannot hold on to a lead. Several around me, and myself included, were saying that they thought we would not defend the 2-0 lead for the next 80 minutes. And do it proved correct.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The trouble is that these isolated errors happen too frequently. Our home form is so erratic that it's expected by many that we cannot hold on to a lead. Several around me, and myself included, were saying that they thought we would not defend the 2-0 lead for the next 80 minutes. And do it proved correct.

We’ve generally been pretty solid defensively for a good while, stretching back into last season (imho).

Now while I have no axe to grind with Stoke, fans running to the front can cause a risk of wider issues.

It's caused issues in the past.

What on earth are the police paid for by us..if you are allocated the top block and you run down the front to celebrate a goal?

Out- should the police be keeping them in? Or am I just sour about Saturday?

Screenshot_20231001-232423_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6a1c1372fdfb2ff21438f2a31df5b30a.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous