IGNORED

Penalties- PGMOL

Mr Popodopolous

Didn't realise until it was mentioned afterwards that he's the clown from the Hull game last season, but it makes total sense when you see his performance. He ignored a rugby tackle in the box on one of ours (Atkinson?) that day too, of course that was shortly after giving them one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen.

A total incompetent, and he got no help from his assistants either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Didn't realise until it was mentioned afterwards that he's the clown from the Hull game last season, but it makes total sense when you see his performance. He ignored a rugby tackle in the box on one of ours (Atkinson?) that day too, of course that was shortly after giving them one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen.

Genuine question - what are their roles in the modern game?

Aside from off-sides, you rarely see them actually get involved with any type of indication to the ref. Throw-ins, Corners, Fouls - they stand their with the flag and wait for the ref to make the decision and then use the flag to reaffirm the decision the ref makes - even when they are next to the situation, having a far better view than a ref that is 20+ yards away. 

Are others seeing the same as me? 

Edited by Sandhurst Red
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We ought to be receiving yet another letter from PGMOL for that clown's performance but as we won I don't suppose we will. 

We should absolutely make a point of complaining about his performance. Don’t let them use the excuse of sour grapes by only complaining after defeats.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We ought to be receiving yet another letter from PGMOL for that clown's performance but as we won I don't suppose we will. 

Shouldn't make any difference, infact it should be easier to moan on the back of a win, you don't appear simply bitter.

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He ignored a rugby tackle in the box on one of ours (Atkinson?) that day too, of course that was shortly after giving them one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen.

I wasn't just one rugby tackle on Atkinson , it was pretty much every corner. 

Totally incompetent 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yes not only did we recieve an apology for giving them that bizarre penalty, we also recieved an apology for us not being awarded one that day. 

Didn't realise last night's ref was him and that just makes it even more laughable. That ref gives pens that aren't pens and doesn't give pens that are pens. 

Last night a Rotherham player bumped into his own keeper and a free kick was given to our bewilderment and that just sums that guy up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes not only did we recieve an apology for giving them that bizarre penalty, we also recieved an apology for us not being awarded one that day. 

Didn't realise last night's ref was him and that just makes it even more laughable. That ref gives pens that aren't pens and doesn't give pens that are pens. 

Last night a Rotherham player bumped into his own keeper and a free kick was given to our bewilderment and that just sums that guy up.

That was the worst decision of the lot. The only surprise is that he didn't book Bell for complaining about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Last night a Rotherham player bumped into his own keeper and a free kick was given to our bewilderment and that just sums that guy up

That one did top the lot. Defender V Keeper given as a foul against the attacker.  

I would love to see the assessors report . 

2 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

The rugby tackle on Dickie was more clear cut than the one on Bell!!

Both clear pens........

...if they played for anyone but Bristol City.:grr:

34 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We could paper the manager's office with the apology letters we've had from PGMOL.

Some of the most baffling and infuriating officiating I have ever seen. Sky pointed out that Wells was booked for dissent after TC's first goal I presume he went up to the ref and gave him a piece of his mind (probably along the lines of "try and chalk that one off you f'ing cheat!")

Last nights ref (and his assistants) looked like people with zero interest in football had won a "be a championship match official for the day" competition. Absolutely clucking flueless.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Genuine question - what are their roles in the modern game?

Aside from off-sides, you rarely see them actually get involved with any type of indication to the ref. Throw-ins, Corners, Fouls - they stand their with the flag and wait for the ref to make the decision and then use the flag to reaffirm the decision the ref makes - even when they are next to the situation, having a far better view than a ref that is 20+ yards away. 

Are others seeing the same as me? 

In the prem definitely.

Officials abdicate responsibility for contentious decisions because they know VAR will step in.

Perhaps this attitude is trickling down to championship officials. It does seem as though linesmen do diddly squat these days and when they do, when we are involved, all too often they appear to get it wrong.

All refs spend ages before a corner or free kick lecturing players about pulling  blocking etc, and then once he let's the kick be taken, suddenly goes completely blind and ignores everything. The arm wrap around Bell would have been applauded in a rugby match.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, marmite said:

All refs spend ages before a corner or free kick lecturing players about pulling  blocking etc, and then once he let's the kick be taken, suddenly goes completely blind and ignores everything. The arm wrap around Bell would have been applauded in a rugby match.

Ironically is not a foul in rugby too? - tackling a player without the ball

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

And while they are at it, the Begovic sending off at Leeds tonight needs to be rescinded. No evidence he ever touched Bamford, who instead should be banned for simulation. But you know it won’t happen…

Will probably be banned for simulation after he has scored/assisted vs us! 🙄

Not conspiracy just that the FA will get round to looking at the weeks decisions on Monday basically.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The law does say fast track , so Tuesday fortnight :yes:

When this happened with Bailey Wright I seem to recall that he was banned for the weekend game.

I suspect this to follow the same path....

Bailey's current club in Singapore are preparing for his absence

• Haha 1
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

That one did top the lot. Defender V Keeper given as a foul against the attacker.  

I would love to see the assessors report . 

Totally agree. 

Sam Bell basically went out of his way to not collide with the keeper. The defender collides with the keeper. Keeper rolls around with his hand in the air like he's been shot. Keeper gets the free kick and miraculously recovers in 2.3 seconds.

The look on Sam's face tells you everything you need to know. 

There were many decisions last night that were quite literally mind blowing.

• Like 1

Here is a worked example..Penalties to Shots from the last 3 full seasons.

Now granted our attacking output for 2020-21 was below even a minimal baseline in terms of chances created.

Think we were bottom for a host of metrics however.

Reading FC- 3 year cumulative shots ie total, although there is a question as to whether the stats include penalties in total shots.

1,427 across 3 seasons.

We had 1,284 across 4 seasons.

Reading FC- 21 penalties awarded.

Bristol City FC- 5 penalties awarded

Reading FC- 1 penalty per 67.952 shots.

Bristol City FC- 1 penalty per 256.8 shots.

Oh the irony given Saturday and some of Neil's shithouse football. Stoke supposedly should have had 6 penalties this season.

I believe Guardiola and other top coaches, even lower down Maresca and Kompany are going to Alex Neil and the training ground of Stoke for lessons! Spalletti another, he will be reexamining his Napoli approach where they thrilled for most of last season and requesting input from Neil for the Italy job.

Some of the world's top and middling coaches really need to go to Stoke for lessons on the Beautiful game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here is a worked example..Penalties to Shots from the last 3 full seasons.

Now granted our attacking output for 2020-21 was below even a minimal baseline in terms of chances created.

Think we were bottom for a host of metrics however.

Reading FC- 3 year cumulative shots ie total, although there is a question as to whether the stats include penalties in total shots.

1,427 across 3 seasons.

We had 1,284 across 4 seasons.

Reading FC- 21 penalties awarded.

Bristol City FC- 5 penalties awarded

Reading FC- 1 penalty per 67.952 shots.

Bristol City FC- 1 penalty per 256.8 shots.

Impressive post Mr P. 

On a side note. You really need to get out more. 🙃