IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday

Oldland2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Selles was Ralph’s assistant at saints, but tbh I’m not sure how much the seniority of them matters too much as long as they’re delivering the sessions and absorbing the philosophy of it all. McKenna moved around from assistant to first team coach a bit at United and is flying now for example. 

But agree, I don’t think anyone could go into Sheff Wed now and keep them up. They’re a basket case and their squad is crap. 

Probably quoted the wrong post, I was really replying to the comment about a trend for German assistant managers.

The guy at Ipswich is clearly a talent, Reading are similar to Wednesday, a mess but a far smaller club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Steve Cotterill was given money he bought Kodjia for £2m and Ryan Fredericks and spent the rest of the summer chasing other Dwight Gayle, Jesse lingard, Harry Maguire and Andre Gray!
He had great backing but spent his time chasing some unrealistic targets.

They may have been ambitious targets but they were perfectly realistic for the right money, as evidenced by the facts that one or two of Gayle and Gray (terrible memory, others will know) had agreed to join us until the club tried to renegotiate the terms behind Cotts' back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

They may have been ambitious targets but they were perfectly realistic for the right money, as evidenced by the facts that one or two of Gayle and Gray (terrible memory, others will know) had agreed to join us until the club tried to renegotiate the terms behind Cotts' back.

Andre Gray, like the others mentioned (apart from Gayle who was a bit of an after thought and never a serious target) were "done deals". At least that's what Cotts believed before going on a break.

In my opinion of course 🙄

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Porto Red said:

The Andre Gray deal was the only deal the board tried to renegotiate and that was on the first try we came back to him  towards the end of the window and he choose to go to Burnley! The club messed that one up! The rest of the window though was ultimately on Cotts! 

What happened in that window wasn’t the point I was responding to it was the fact that someone said he wasn’t backed, and he was but couldn’t  sign anyone, He went from being able to sign the best players in the division from whoever he wanted and they come because we were a big fish in League 1 and assembling the best squad in the league that year by miles, to only being able to sign 2 relative unknowns. 

There was a cock up that season by both the board and Cotts!

21 hours ago, Porto Red said:

From what I heard and read, Gray came down for talks as a courtesy , didn't intend to join us. Gayle was an after thought when others fell through, he didn't fancy us. McGuire was the one, I heard it was a done deal until someone tried to renegotiate his wages and he walked away.
As you say , ambitious but completely reasonable. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Andre Gray, like the others mentioned (apart from Gayle who was a bit of an after thought and never a serious target) were "done deals". At least that's what Cotts believed before going on a break.

In my opinion of course 🙄

If you are ever lucky enough to be walking around the waterfront and see him, he is always open to a chat. In that chat he will tell you exactly that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

If you are ever lucky enough to be walking around the waterfront and see him, he is always open to a chat. In that chat he will tell you exactly that. 

I totally agree. I was fortunate to see him not that long after he was sacked. Lovely guy to talk to.

Water under the bridge of course, but I will always believe that had he been backed in the recruitment he had lined up, we would have had a great chance of progressing.

• Like 4