IGNORED

All Irish now aren’t we?

Silvio Dante

51 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Knight, Sykes and O’Leary all in the ROI squad.

Have we ever had three players all called up at once by a national team??

Don't think so. Nearest examples are;1974 Gillies & Gow for Scotland U23s. 1958 England World Cup qualifier v Ireland; City provided the centre forward for both teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve reassessed my Irish support. I cheer for The Republic of Ireland with my Irish mates, who never reciprocate and in fact actively cheer against England. 

However if the lads get games I’ll be hoping they do well. 

I normally cheer for ROI and NI, I know the feeling isn't reciprocated towards England, but makes them look a bit silly when you don't feel the same towards them.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve reassessed my Irish support. I cheer for The Republic of Ireland with my Irish mates, who never reciprocate and in fact actively cheer against England. 

However if the lads get games I’ll be hoping they do well. 

I don't think they are all like that. There's a lady from County Galway who is as Irish as they come, but is a regular visitor to my village. During the World Cup, she actually bought an England shirt to watch our matches. Admittedly, she may not have done that if she was back in Tuam. Another old Irish fella I knew in Shepton Mallet, would cheer on England against anyone - providing they aren't playing the Republic.  They aren't exactly England supporters but have no particular antipathy to us and, in both cases, they watch a lot of PL and so have their favourite English teams/players etc. 

Only bloke I know around my neck of the woods who regularly goes out of the way to cheer for anyone who is playing against England is a Frenchman. But TBH I think this is a bit of a comedy pose, because he's often said how he prefers living here to France. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think they are all like that. There's a lady from County Galway who is as Irish as they come, but is a regular visitor to my village. During the World Cup, she actually bought an England shirt to watch our matches. Admittedly, she may not have done that if she was back in Tuam. Another old Irish fella I knew in Shepton Mallet, would cheer on England against anyone - providing they aren't playing the Republic.  They aren't exactly England supporters but have no particular antipathy to us and, in both cases, they watch a lot of PL and so have their favourite English teams/players etc. 

Only bloke I know around my neck of the woods who regularly goes out of the way to cheer for anyone who is playing against England is a Frenchman. But TBH I think this is a bit of a comedy pose, because he's often said how he prefers living here to France. 

I live largely in the USA. It’s by and large a thing here.  Sometimes worse. In one incident I was with an Irish guy who got shit from another Irish guy for sitting with me because I’m English, while we were all watching Manchester City v Chelsea. I know the irony is delicious!!

In England there are a lot of Anglo Irish for a variety of reasons and people care less so I guess it’s not quite as prominent. 

• Like 1

Realistically Max is very much the third choice keeper in that squad with very little prospect of being involved.

Knight is a first choice, Mark Sykes seems to have been given very few chances by Ireland’s coach, would be great to see him involved at some point & with respect, if he gets pitch time v Gibraltar he has a decent chance of his first international goal.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Realistically Max is very much the third choice keeper in that squad with very little prospect of being involved.

Knight is a first choice, Mark Sykes seems to have been given very few chances by Ireland’s coach, would be great to see him involved at some point & with respect, if he gets pitch time v Gibraltar he has a decent chance of his first international goal.

Maybe training with the international set up will make him better ☺️

That's O'Leary 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril

11 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Maybe training with the international set up will make him better ☺️

That's O'Leary 

I like Max & think he’s plenty good enough for us but he’s only in the squad because Kelleher of Liverpool isn’t available.

Bazunu of Southampton is the first choice, Travers (who was excellent for Stoke against us last week) on loan from Bournemouth, is also in front of him.

It will do him absolutely no harm to train with international players but realistically he’s their 4th choice goalkeeper & I’ll be surprised if he earns many (if any) caps at all.