IGNORED

A brave decision or one that could backfire spectacularly for Steve Coogan?

Lanterne Rouge

Jimmy Savile: Steve Coogan on playing paedophile TV presenter in The Reckoning - BBC News

Personally I think it`s a very courageous decision - it`s a story that needs to be told and Coogan is one of the few actors around that can do it right IMO. It seems some of Savile`s victims have collaborated and in some cases appear in the film too which is an astonishingly brave thing to do.

I`m not sure if I`ll be able to watch it though - I think it will make me too angry that he got away with it and was protected for so long.

• Like 2

Some of his victims have given their blessing and contributed to the creation. Interestingly, the programmes are made by an ITV company, but are to be shown on the BBC. It gives the latter some distance in the blame game that will arise, seeing as many of those who sat on their hands were at the top of the corporation. Coogan himself has made great efforts to give the role gravitas and avoid any pantomine baddy style. It will either be a fabulously brave decision or be shot down in flames.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 11:03, Big C said:

not sure why it is a brave decision, he is an actor playing a character. The same as the actor playing Peter Sutcliffe on the other side

Beat me to it . No different to playing Hitler or Ted Bundy.  SC plays the role brilliantly and you don't see any actual assaults, it's left to ones imagination .

• Like 1

On 09/10/2023 at 22:15, Kingswood Robin said:

It's a very difficult subject. I trust Steve Coogan to treat the subject with sensitivity. Hopefully it will offer some insight into how this all happened. 

Exactly. It will be a hard watch but even if one person makes the courageous decision to seek help or speak up about any type of abuse it will be one good thing to come out of this.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Beat me to it . No different to playing Hitler or Ted Bundy.  SC plays the role brilliantly and you don't see any actual assaults, it's left to ones imagination .

I think it is a little different from playing Ted Bundy or Peter Sutcliffe because of Savile`s celebrity status for so many years - everybody knew who he was and that is why what he did (and got away with) was so shocking. I guess the only ones that come close would be Gary Glitter or Rolf Harris. No-one knew who Sutcliffe was until he got arrested, he was just a lorry driver from Bradford not someone who spent Christmas with the Royal Family and was knighted. Sutcliffe wasn`t protected by people in powerful positions either.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think it is a little different from playing Ted Bundy or Peter Sutcliffe because of Savile`s celebrity status for so many years - everybody knew who he was and that is why what he did (and got away with) was so shocking. I guess the only ones that come close would be Gary Glitter or Rolf Harris. No-one knew who Sutcliffe was until he got arrested, he was just a lorry driver from Bradford not someone who spent Christmas with the Royal Family and was knighted. Sutcliffe wasn`t protected by people in powerful positions either.

That's what IMO makes it so fascinating, how he did get away with it........ just seen the last episode, unbelievable how the high ups turned a blind eye, there's got to be people, in the BBC, Westminster and Scotland Yard watching through their fingers  !

• Like 2

I think it's a fascinating watch, very disturbing tho, I grew up watching JS and probably like many thought he was a great bloke, I know people that wrote him letters on "Jim'll fix it" and they had replies that at one time the felt honoured to receive. He would never get away with that these days. I also think Steve Coogan has done an ambribable job playing the role of that piece of shit.

• Like 1