IGNORED

Kal Naismith post match

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Are we under achieving?

The league position is so volatile at this point in the season you really shouldn’t read too much into it; we’re 3 points off 6th, but 7 points clear of the relegation places. One win seperates 7th from 16th. And we’ve played the two best teams away from home.

I wouldn’t say we’re under achieving; I’d say we’re a mid-table club with a mid-table squad doing mid-table things.

If we were just those measly 3 points better off, then there would be complete silence from the same poster. Stating we are 14th is to make it sound like some huge disaster, you'd assume without looking at the table we were close to relegation and miles off the top 6, luckily the majority can see through the posters agenda.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Looking at the sides up there too it’s frustrating. However it’s been the story of NP for the past three years, improved performances, in fact really good at times, but disappointing results which at the end of the day is what football is about and is why I don’t think SL will keep him. That new contract won’t happen if we carry on like this. Same lack of stringing together results. 

I'd largely agree. 

I believe that the performances have now definitely improved under Nige but this doesn't yet translate into consistently improved results or even any suggestion of a sustained tilt at promotion.

I think Nige will eventually run out of road which is equally likely to result in him deciding to leave as it is SL deciding for him.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Are we under achieving?

The league position is so volatile at this point in the season you really shouldn’t read too much into it; we’re 3 points off 6th, but 7 points clear of the relegation places. One win seperates 7th from 16th. And we’ve played the two best teams away from home.

I wouldn’t say we’re under achieving; I’d say we’re a mid-table club with a mid-table squad doing mid-table things.

I do agree with you in respect that it’s early days. But going by Kal Naismiths interview and his comments in this interview - I’d say even the players feel like they should be doing better 

Ultimately - yesterday is not the be all and end all. The issue is our home form 

That’s what will cost us this season 

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I do agree with you in respect that it’s early days. But going by Kal Naismiths interview and his comments in this interview - I’d say even the players feel like they should be doing better 

Ultimately - yesterday is not the be all and end all. The issue is our home form 

That's what HAS cost us SO FAR this season.....

I think that will improve, you have already written it off!!

Bloody typical....

• Like 1

You’re off camera now Kal any final point you want to make in confidence? Yeah I held back there but we can’t believe we sold a payer as good as Scotty and didn’t use the money. The owner is in dreamland if he thinks we can do what my old club did with our squad and injury record but hey ho onwards and sideways 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We won't spend enough of it you mean. Our squad is alright but lacks depth.

Could we have made a play for Patino on loan e.g. what might he add post Scott.

One more CB, having to regularly rejig the defence due to absences..

Tanner and McCrorie both being out at once is unlucky.

Dembele along the front- Birmingham I doubt are markedly better off than us financially. I'm picking names out of a hat somewhat but we do lack depth over a long season. International break may come at a good time for once.

Dembele is no better than what we have , he flatters to deceive . If Zak & Atkinson were fit we’d have no room for another centre half & that’s the point of the academy as back up. I do agree with naismith , we lack belief , not just the players but us as well the fans, im including myself. We need to win a couple of the Leicester , Leeds games to believe it. If we lose narrowly  to these teams we’re ok with it. It’s the wrong mindset . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The players might “feel” like they should be doing better. But to me that’s fairly meaningless rhetoric. Ultimately the level of performance is broadly a product of the ability of the players, and I’d say we are about par for the quality we have.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Dembele is no better than what we have , he flatters to deceive . If Zak & Atkinson were fit we’d have no room for another centre half & that’s the point of the academy as back up. I do agree with naismith , we lack belief , not just the players but us as well the fans, im including myself. We need to win a couple of the Leicester , Leeds games to believe it. If we lose narrowly  to these teams we’re ok with it. It’s the wrong mindset . 

Fair on Dembele . I do think we are lacking that little bit of spark though, that something..easier said than done to go go one leg alone both of Leicester and Leeds and get something- especially Leicester, Leeds drew their first 3 home games tbh.

On the CB point I've always thought that a side should have 4 dedicated CBs, okay Naismith and then latterly Tanner, Roberts, Pring can all play there if needed. Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson felt one light to me from early on..although who drops out when all fit, if all fit of those 3 is an interesting question.

Perhaps Gardner-Hickman will offer something different in midfield as the season progresses.

58 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

You’re off camera now Kal any final point you want to make in confidence? Yeah I held back there but we can’t believe we sold a payer as good as Scotty and didn’t use the money. The owner is in dreamland if he thinks we can do what my old club did with our squad and injury record but hey ho onwards and sideways 

Yes but we'll have a Premier League ready nest egg.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair on Dembele . I do think we are lacking that little bit of spark though, that something..easier said than done to go go one leg alone both of Leicester and Leeds and get something- especially Leicester, Leeds drew their first 3 home games tbh.

On the CB point I've always thought that a side should have 4 dedicated CBs, okay Naismith and then latterly Tanner, Roberts, Pring can all play there if needed. Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson felt one light to me from early on..although who drops out when all fit, if all fit of those 3 is an interesting question.

Perhaps Gardner-Hickman will offer something different in midfield as the season progresses.

All fit we got four very good centre halves. I don’t like TGH at full back but needs must. I do think he’ll be a decent midfielder. I also enjoyed seeing williams pissed off at getting dragged yesterday . He’s obviously enjoying his football . On the spark side of things. I hope we have that in mehmeti . He needs to have more to his game as he’s too predictable at the moment . Dembelle is a show pony with no end product imo 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Our home form has not improved in the 2 and a half years Pearson has been in charge 

I’m not holding my breath 

IF, you actually are a Bristol City fan, have you not seen an improvement in team spirit, style of play since NP has been manager?

Despite having to change the squad, get rid of highly paid dross and at the same time introducing many young academy players?

Just as a matter of interest, do you have a season ticket? Mine is in the lower Lansdown having moved from the SS having moved from the Atyeo.

Just asking for a friend.....

• Like 5

Naismith's interview is pretty much bang on as an analysis of what we did well and what we did less well yesterday. I think the two big positives are that the players don't see a narrow defeat at a recently relegated club with much greater resources than us as anywhere near "good enough" and that they seem to know themselves where they need to improve. 

Ultimately we all want to finish a lot higher than 14th but it's small margins - both in terms of the gap in points between us and the play-off places and the difference between the games we've lost or drawn and the games we've won. It wouldn't take much improvement for us to suddenly find ourselves winning games and shooting up the table. That's not to say there is any guarantees that will happen but we're not a million miles from where we need to be. At the same time, that sort of makes it even more frustrating on a day like yesterday where we do okay but don't put our opponents under enough pressure and concede from minor lapses. 

16 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's interesting how he says we conceded the first goal "and that's fine". May e not what you'd expect, but on reflection I kind of like that. It's a "we've gone behind, but it's not the ene of the world" vibe. Interesting that it's probably not how most of us feel.

Big Rob and Zak said that if Kal makes a mistake, it doesn’t affect, he just gets on with it.  It’s a mentality he’s trying to pass on…and I think it’s “believe you are good enough”.  You’ve only got to hear Kal in the banter stuff on video that he is supremely confident.  He never hides.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

IF, you actually are a Bristol City fan, have you not seen an improvement in team spirit, style of play since NP has been manager?

Despite having to change the squad, get rid of highly paid dross and at the same time introducing many young academy players?

Just as a matter of interest, do you have a season ticket? Mine is in the lower Lansdown having moved from the SS having moved from the Atyeo.

I think it’s that kinda comment, “we haven’t improved in 2.5 years” or similar, that bugs me too.  The squad has had to go backwards to move forwards, and it’s really only this summer Nige and Tins have really had scope to try and do that.  And when you sell Semenyo and Scott is it any wonder progress is so hard?  When you get a few injuries (every team does I accept) it hurts us a bit more because we are having to operate a thin squad.

This is not a case of:

length of time in the job must equal continued improvement/progress

Of course we can have continued progress, but then some fans might see it as a shock that we post £38m and £28m losses!!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

I see Kal being a successful manager in the future with his teams mirroring his personality and playing confident, attacking football.  There are a couple more seasons in him as a player first though.  I don't doubt that Luton going up to the Premiership adds an extra motivation for him to do likewise here.

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Tell your friend yes I do, 26 years and counting……..

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

We, the fans, in various levels of belief and disbelief, think that we can ever get back to the top league. In the last ten to fifteen years, we have shown some promise but ultimately we fade away from achieving the big prize for a variety of reasons.

56 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Very pleased to hear that.

No comment on my first two paragraphs?

Perhaps when you have been going for as long as me ( 62 years and counting) you might appreciate improvement when you see it....

I think 26 years as a season ticket holder is ample time to appreciate or not appreciate improvement . 

Regards improvement - granted, there clearly has been improvement in team spirit and morale. So I take my comment back and rephrase it 

I just don’t believe the improvement overall  has been good enough 2.5 years. 

Our form now is very consistent with our form of last season - we really should be kicking on this year. This next run of games in the lead up to Christmas will really see the league take shape - and I’d like to think we will be in the top half.  I just have little faith that by the time we hit December , we will be any higher than we are now .

For me, that’s simply not good enough (but that’s just me - and we are all entitled to our opinions 

Oh and P.S 

….I still miss sitting in the Atyeo. Had a season ticket there from the age of 15 or so . Moved to the SS, but never really liked it in there if I’m honest 

Edited by Andy082005