IGNORED

WARNING : GRAPHIC CONTENT.. Chris Basham

phantom

• Admin

Have to feel for any sports person who suffers a potentially career ending injury. 

Chris Basham suffered a horrendous break to his left ankle against Fulham, it looks very similar to the injury David Buust had (fortunately without the blood this time) 

Wish him well in his recovery, but will be amazed if he plays again 

Screenshot_20231008_021855_TikTok.jpg

• Sad 5

Ouch!! 

Part of Busst's issue was the number of infections he had following the operations IIRC. Regardless of infections or not, that was in all likelihood always going to be the end of his career though, was a truly nasty collision.

That's a career ending injury at the best of times, so at the age of 35, that's definitely going to be the last time we'll see Basham on a pitch. You just hope that he doesn't have to endure the trauma and issues that Busst had back in the 90's.

Good luck in the recovery.

• Like 3

The worst thing about that Basham injury for me is how innocuous it was. This wasn’t a tackle or foul, his standing foot just went under him. Horrible watch.

I always think the breaks that happen with little contact are the scariest, Cisse’s for Liverpool always sticks with me (I think there was slight contact?).

We all know the dangers of a big tackle, it’s awful to think it can happen just by misplacing your footing or while running along

• Like 3

Ouch!!!

The only plus point would be that bony injuries usually heal quicker than ligament injuries, especially as Basham’s injury is likely to need extensive metal work to fix. However given how bad that looks, it wouldn’t surprise me if he also has extensive ankle ligament damage, which would likely mean at least 6 months on the sidelines if not longer. On that basis, that’s probably the end of his season right now.

Tough on Sheff Utd too as he is probably their most experienced defender, and you have to say their prospects look pretty bleak for Premier League survival. But then again, I don’t think that they were that good last season despite getting promoted, had quite a few lucky results (think about both their games against us) plus they were reliant on either loanees who have since left or Billy Sharp for most of their goals.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

The worst thing about that Basham injury for me is how innocuous it was. This wasn’t a tackle or foul, his standing foot just went under him. Horrible watch.

I always think the breaks that happen with little contact are the scariest, Cisse’s for Liverpool always sticks with me (I think there was slight contact?).

We all know the dangers of a big tackle, it’s awful to think it can happen just by misplacing your footing or while running along

The one I always think of is Alan Smith playing for Man Utd, stuck his leg out to block a shot and the impact of the ball caused his body weight to shift to his standing leg which crumpled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Horrible that was. You could hear the snap all round the ground.

Scott Brown when playing for Cheltenham against us is another!

Pretty sure he collided with his own teammate (Odejayi?) as he was shooting and got the full force of it and he was a big boy.

I wasn't very old and can remember saying 'did you hear his shin pad break then!' Sadly it obviously wasn't the shin pad

Edit - Just googled, it was Damian Spencer he collided with not Odejayi. 

Edited by hinsleburg
Mistaken identity

15 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Scott Brown when playing for Cheltenham against us is another!

Pretty sure he collided with his own teammate (Odejayi?) as he was shooting and got the full force of it and he was a big boy.

I wasn't very old and can remember saying 'did you hear his shin pad break then!' Sadly it obviously wasn't the shin pad

Edit - Just googled, it was Damian Spencer he collided with not Odejayi. 

Elokobi was the same. The incident took place in front of the Atyeo and I could clearly hear the snap from midway down the Dolman. The horrified faces of the players, from both teams, who surrounded him told me that would be the last we saw of him.

Amazingly, he recovered in time to play a game for his parent club (Wolves) by the end of the season, and went on to have an injury blighted but 10-year long professional career, playing mainly at non-league level. 

• Like 1

Terrible injury for Basham, hope it's not so bad as some are fearing.

Reminds me of Stan Collymore's break live on telly playing for Leicester: he was unmarked in the middle of the park, swivelled to fire a pass out to the wing, dropped onto his own ankle and cracked it. Often the case when there's no-one else involved that the injury is worse.

From that image it looks similar to an injury I sustained playing football. I'd guess he's dislocated his ankle, broken his fib and tib and badly damaged ligaments. I was playing cricket 4 months later..

George Elokobi, Graeme Le Saux and Alan Smith all had the same injury and made comebacks so hopefully Chris Basham will too

• Like 1

Shocking injury for one of my favourite players of the last 20 years and I wish him a speedy recovery for him and his family, even if it's not be on the football field. I say favourite player, in fact if I could have made one affordable signing in the last 20 years it would have been him. 

All the best Chris. 

1 hour ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Stood at the Open End that day, heard the crack as his leg went.

I was in the Enclosure that day and also heard the crack. I almost turned away when they brought him on the stretcher to the tunnel as the misshapen leg was evident and the bone had apparently broken through the skin. 

23 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Seen it happen, right in front of me. Lad all on his own put his foot on a ball to trap it, went over the top on it, broke tib and fib. Scaffolding in his leg, and no more impact sports for the rest of his life. He was in his early 20s. 

Best wishes to Basham.

22 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Terrible injury for Basham, hope it's not so bad as some are fearing.

Reminds me of Stan Collymore's break live on telly playing for Leicester: he was unmarked in the middle of the park, swivelled to fire a pass out to the wing, dropped onto his own ankle and cracked it. Often the case when there's no-one else involved that the injury is worse.

Game we played in a couple of Saturday's back had similar. This big lad turned in the box and our defender nipped in and poked the ball through his legs and cleared it.

Next thing you know he's on the floor absolutely convinced that the defender booted him in his achilles. Had to be carried off almost in tears. Despite his complaints (and threats to find where our defender lives and "do him in") I'm convinced he's done it under his own weight and if he has torn his achilles it will feel like someone kicked him.

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Seen it happen, right in front of me. Lad all on his own put his foot on a ball to trap it, went over the top on it, broke tib and fib. Scaffolding in his leg, and no more impact sports for the rest of his life. He was in his early 20s. 

Best wishes to Basham.

That sounds horrible. Luckily I've never witnessed a proper serious injury, been on the receiving end though but didn't know much about it 😂

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Game we played in a couple of Saturday's back had similar. This big lad turned in the box and our defender nipped in and poked the ball through his legs and cleared it.

Next thing you know he's on the floor absolutely convinced that the defender booted him in his achilles. Had to be carried off almost in tears. Despite his complaints (and threats to find where our defender lives and "do him in") I'm convinced he's done it under his own weight and if he has torn his achilles it will feel like someone kicked him.

That sounds horrible. Luckily I've never witnessed a proper serious injury, been on the receiving end though but didn't know much about it 😂

that sounds exactly what happened to my brother playing squash,he swore at his mate who he thought had smashed him across the ankle with his bat when his mate was nowhere near him

Not entirely the same but I was at Twerton Park last season at the game where Alex Fletcher (Who has made one of the most remarkable sporting comebacks i've ever seen) absolutely smashed into the concrete surrounding wall head first.. And i'll never forget the sound it made you could hear it clear as day in the opposite corner of the ground. With the reaction from the opponent and medical staff it was clear something was seriously wrong but to be honest from the thump before hand you already knew.