IGNORED

Over 60’s! Peter Spiring!!

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I remember him playing at Millwall in that game where we lost 3-1 and scored two own goals (Merrick and Rooks I believe), embarrassing it was on Motd but Spiring scored our goal and had a good game from memory putting City back in the game at 2-1 with ten minutes or so to go, then they scored a third walloped from about 20 yards.

Yeah I was there. Wasn’t it one of Ray Cashley’s early games. I remember being surprised Gibbo wasn’t in goal. 

Well I think I remember it! 😂 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Yeah I was there. Wasn’t it one of Ray Cashley’s early games. I remember being surprised Gibbo wasn’t in goal. 

Well I think I remember it! 😂 

On reflection I think he scored the equaliser to make it 1-1 before the second own goal after City had dominated possession following Millwall's early strike. I think Cash was in goal as you said.

• Like 1

Peter Spiring signed to Liverpool as a young prospect from AG with bags of pace and a good goal scoring ability from the wing. Shortly after he signed, he snapped his Achilles Tendon which put him out for the majority of the season. He fully recovered, but (especially back in the day with worse rehab and medial knowledge) he lost a bit of that pace, which was one of his main strengths. He settled his career at Hereford, for the first time since his early years at City. 

I found this thread since the passing yesterday of Larry Lloyd, who was a close friend of Spiring (Bristol boys who moved to Liverpool at the same time). Lloyd was the godfather to Spiring’s son who was present at the christening during Spiring’s spell at Luton. Spiring has fond memories of his short Anfield stint, but it was his Achilles that put him out of favour. 

Larry Lloyd had a brilliant career at Forest before ending up as player-manager at Wigan, where he faced Spiring’s Hereford in a 1-1 draw in 81/82. At the end of the season Lloyd attempted to sign Spiring to the promoted Wigan, however Hereford manager, Frank Lord stopped the move because of his importance.

Spiring retired aged 33 at Hereford United and became a leccy. To hear some of you spotted his van in the early 00s is amazing. 

2008 he moved to Cornwall with his wife, June Spiring. His daughter’s family also moved to Cornwall alongside them. He worked as the Premises Manager at Truro College for about 8 years before retiring. Despite a small cardiac arrest and few joint replacements, he is well and good. 

I can verify all this, because I am his grandson! I occasionally play golf with him at our favourite par 3 course, Holywell Bay. Golf has always been his second sport and he taught me to play since I was young. I’m 25 now and I still can’t bloody beat him…

This thread was great for me to read, to see my granddad’s career remembered in shards from footie fans. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 29/03/2024 at 03:00, CarlenSW said:

Peter Spiring signed to Liverpool as a young prospect from AG with bags of pace and a good goal scoring ability from the wing. Shortly after he signed, he snapped his Achilles Tendon which put him out for the majority of the season. He fully recovered, but (especially back in the day with worse rehab and medial knowledge) he lost a bit of that pace, which was one of his main strengths. He settled his career at Hereford, for the first time since his early years at City. 

I found this thread since the passing yesterday of Larry Lloyd, who was a close friend of Spiring (Bristol boys who moved to Liverpool at the same time). Lloyd was the godfather to Spiring’s son who was present at the christening during Spiring’s spell at Luton. Spiring has fond memories of his short Anfield stint, but it was his Achilles that put him out of favour. 

Larry Lloyd had a brilliant career at Forest before ending up as player-manager at Wigan, where he faced Spiring’s Hereford in a 1-1 draw in 81/82. At the end of the season Lloyd attempted to sign Spiring to the promoted Wigan, however Hereford manager, Frank Lord stopped the move because of his importance.

Spiring retired aged 33 at Hereford United and became a leccy. To hear some of you spotted his van in the early 00s is amazing. 

2008 he moved to Cornwall with his wife, June Spiring. His daughter’s family also moved to Cornwall alongside them. He worked as the Premises Manager at Truro College for about 8 years before retiring. Despite a small cardiac arrest and few joint replacements, he is well and good. 

I can verify all this, because I am his grandson! I occasionally play golf with him at our favourite par 3 course, Holywell Bay. Golf has always been his second sport and he taught me to play since I was young. I’m 25 now and I still can’t bloody beat him…

This thread was great for me to read, to see my granddad’s career remembered in shards from footie fans. 

My dad’s favorite player. Good to know this stuff!

You should really contact the Bristol City former players association and get him signed up! They do loads of stuff with the  ex players and Peter will know the likes of Tom Ritchie, Geoff Merrick and Brian Drysdale who are all members. I am sure @phantomor @Dollymarie (a couple of the mods here could hook you up)

@Nogbad the Bad he snapped his Achilles rather than broke his leg. But that did for him. Nice piece from his grandson about Peter and Larry Lloyd!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

My dad’s favorite player. Good to know this stuff!

You should really contact the Bristol City former players association and get him signed up! They do loads of stuff with the  ex players and Peter will know the likes of Tom Ritchie, Geoff Merrick and Brian Drysdale who are all members. I am sure @phantomor @Dollymarie (a couple of the mods here could hook you up)

@Nogbad the Bad he snapped his Achilles rather than broke his leg. But that did for him. Nice piece from his grandson about Peter and Larry Lloyd!

I've made them aware 👍

i was 60 in january but the name rings very strong in my memory somewhere. pretty sure my first match was 1969,would he have still been at AG then?

edit,just read first 2 pages,obvious why i remember his name now.  over 60s title threw me

Edited by redsquirrel