IGNORED

Moments silence today

Wedontplayinblue

Without trying to upset anyone with their personal views, what are peoples views on todays moments silence? 

I’m personally struggling to see what positive impact it had on the situation, there seems to be more and more moments of silence/applause for situations that the club are not affected by, or have any impact over. 

In the past it would had been for when a legend had passed away, a chairman etc.

It’s  absolutely dreadful what is happening on both sides of the conflict, Wouldn’t for example a bucket collection for aid for both sides, of been better? 

There were a few shouts today when it happened also, which wouldn’t help when people can have such strong differing views on the conflict. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, redkev said:

Sick to the back teeth of moments of silence , applause , black arm bands blah blah blah , there’s something every week now , the Israeli/ Gazza / Hamas shite is far too complicated for us to understand 

as for sir Bobby Charlton it’s football related and the bloke is a World Cup winner and legend that’s worth a minutes silence / applause 

I'm minded to agree. The minute's "silence" at Wembley on Tues was not observed at all and it seems even fighting in the stands broke out due to those who interupted it. 

13 minutes ago, redkev said:

Sick to the back teeth of moments of silence , applause , black arm bands blah blah blah , there’s something every week now , the Israeli/ Gazza / Hamas shite is far too complicated for us to understand 

as for sir Bobby Charlton it’s football related and the bloke is a World Cup winner and legend that’s worth a minutes silence / applause 

Been thinking this for a while. It does devalue it somewhat when it's almost every game. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

My thoughts are that it’s one minute of paying respect to something so nothing to get annoyed about really. If you don’t like it then suck it up for 60 seconds.  

The trouble is some people won’t suck it up , football is slowly becoming a political soap box 

• Like 4

I once again ask for us to do a minute silence or applause once a year like many clubs do to honour those that have passed in the previous 12 months.

Their pictures can be shown on the big screens & we can all pay our respects properly. 

Here’s an example of how Millwall do it. 

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2023/february/02/memorial-day-at-the-den-this-saturday/

I get that random world events aren’t covered by the above, but it would stop the minutes applause requests we get almost every week recently where half the people don’t know who they’re applauding anyway. 

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I once again ask for us to do a minute silence or applause once a year like many clubs do to honour those that have passed in the previous 12 months.

Their pictures can be shown on the big screens & we can all pay our respects properly. 

Here’s an example of how Millwall do it. 

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2023/february/02/memorial-day-at-the-den-this-saturday/

I get that random world events aren’t covered by the above, but it would stop the minutes applause requests we get almost every week recently where half the people don’t know who they’re applauding anyway. 

Stoke did it very well too. So much better and in my opinion more meaningful.

My daughter said she’ll ask for a minute’s applause when I pass just because she knows it winds me up. 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, MrBibs said:

Stoke did it very well too. So much better and in my opinion more meaningful.

My daughter said she’ll ask for a minute’s applause when I pass just because she knows it winds me up. 

2 black armbands and a lovely little black anklet for you then mate? 😂

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm minded to agree. The minute's "silence" at Wembley on Tues was not observed at all and it seems even fighting in the stands broke out due to those who interupted it. 

Didn’t help that the announcement was botched. It was obvious something was happening because the players gathered around the centre circle - the ref blew his whistle to start the silence then the announcer proceeded to tell us about the silence, and repeat it in Italian.

I wouldn’t say it “wasn’t observed at all” though, was only a few idiots trying to ruin it.

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Didn’t help that the announcement was botched. It was obvious something was happening because the players gathered around the centre circle - the ref blew his whistle to start the silence then the announcer proceeded to tell us about the silence, and repeat it in Italian.

I wouldn’t say it “wasn’t observed at all” though, was only a few idiots trying to ruin it.

I recall there being a very clear announcement of what was about to happen, and that's definitely one of the worst "observed" minutes silence I've heard. It got so bad the ref basically blew up early. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

I recall there being a very clear announcement of what was about to happen, and that's definitely one of the worst "observed" minutes silence I've heard. It got so bad the ref basically blew up early. 

It was made clear over the tannoy but only after the ref had blown his whistle. The ref didn’t blow it early, the announcer talked through half the minutes silence. Then a few idiots decided to shout out and it felt like the boos were aimed at those people shouting not the silence.

This video kinda proves my point, the announcement in English and then Italian says it will start on the referees whistle - then there’s no whistle because he’d already blown.

And if you watch the game back on channel 4 you’ll see there’s exactly a minute from first whistle (before announcement) to second whistle.

11 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It was made clear over the tannoy but only after the ref had blown his whistle. The ref didn’t blow it early, the announcer talked through half the minutes silence. Then a few idiots decided to shout out and it felt like the boos were aimed at those people shouting not the silence.

This video kinda proves my point, the announcement in English and then Italian says it will start on the referees whistle - then there’s no whistle because he’d already blown.

And if you watch the game back on channel 4 you’ll see there’s exactly a minute from first whistle (before announcement) to second whistle.

Sorry but I was at the game stone cold sober and that vid appears to back my point up that a few ********* ruined the minutes silence. 

15 minutes ago, TBW said:

The silence is for innocent people who have died. No matter what your thoughts are on Palestine/Israel, no innocent families should be dying on either side so just don't be a knob. Shut up for a minute.

People will be knobs though , a few ciders and some sherbet sniffing powder will make the mind think differently, the then so say minutes silence turns into a shambolic embarrassment. 

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry but I was at the game stone cold sober and that vid appears to back my point up that a few ********* ruined the minutes silence. 

The UEFA announcement of it, I wasn't at Wembley so can't comment on how the PA announcer mentioned it, initially specified the Israeli victims of it and solely the Israeli victims. Well Israeli and Swedish of course.

Should never have been interrupted.

FA, EFL, PL and indeed rugby took a safer announcement such as what we heard today.

Screenshot_20231022-001747_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e0a8b65d32a12a2337f95c4277cde41f.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The UEFA announcement of it, I wasn't at Wembley so can't comment on how the PA announcer mentioned it, initially specified the Israeli victims of it and solely the Israeli victims. Well Israeli and Swedish of course.

Should never have been interrupted.

FA, EFL, PL and indeed rugby took a safer announcement such as what we heard today.

Screenshot_20231022-001747_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e0a8b65d32a12a2337f95c4277cde41f.jpg

The message changed between the Australia game (where the scoreboard and PA announcement made reference to victims on both sides of the conflict - pic below) and the Italy game, where Sweden and Israel were mentioned but not Palestine. 

For what it’s worth the silence was much more ‘silent’ at the Australia game than at the Italy game. 

IMG_2385.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, North London Red said:

The message changed between the Australia game (where the scoreboard and PA announcement made reference to victims on both sides of the conflict - pic below) and the Italy game, where Sweden and Israel were mentioned but not Palestine. 

For what it’s worth the silence was much more ‘silent’ at the Australia game than at the Italy game. 

IMG_2385.jpeg

Ah yes, thanks.

Something in the Times Friday I think said that this also helped Australia as they play Palestine and Lebanon in 2 upcoming WC qualifiers. Will try and find it.Screenshot_20231022-003549_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5bc537e332b0a391738533d254c0fe94.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Without trying to upset anyone with their personal views, what are peoples views on todays moments silence? 

I’m personally struggling to see what positive impact it had on the situation, there seems to be more and more moments of silence/applause for situations that the club are not affected by, or have any impact over. 

In the past it would had been for when a legend had passed away, a chairman etc.

It’s  absolutely dreadful what is happening on both sides of the conflict, Wouldn’t for example a bucket collection for aid for both sides, of been better? 

There were a few shouts today when it happened also, which wouldn’t help when people can have such strong differing views on the conflict. 

I don’t mind it, 60 seconds and it’s been collectively agreed so I see no reason why not to participate. I however don’t have a lot of time for people heckling which I heard today (believe it was from the Coventry end).

• Like 2