IGNORED

Moments silence today

Wedontplayinblue

1 hour ago, redkev said:

People will be knobs though , a few ciders and some sherbet sniffing powder will make the mind think differently, the then so say minutes silence turns into a shambolic embarrassment. 

If you're already ****** out of your mind by 3PM then you need to sort your life out.

• Like 1

Some people hit the pub by 12, away days can be earlier still for a 3pm.

I went on a mini pub crawl for a 3pm kick off with mates about 6 years ago. We met at midday or near as dammit..pretty much every City related pub form the Masonic down to those nearest Ashton Gate oh and one or two by the Natch Wall as well as it was a nice day for it.

Without condoning any interruptions, I can easily see how alcohol alone by 3pm? Definitely!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, TBW said:

The silence is for innocent people who have died. No matter what your thoughts are on Palestine/Israel, no innocent families should be dying on either side so just don't be a knob. Shut up for a minute.

But it has been going on for years and people dying on both sides but I’ve never known a minute silence for it before,Agree tho that if you can’t keep your trap shut for a minute then your a wrong un but as said above let’s keep politics out of football 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

But it has been going on for years and people dying on both sides but I’ve never known a minute silence for it before,Agree tho that if you can’t keep your trap shut for a minute then your a wrong un but as said above let’s keep politics out of football 

I assume it started as a minutes silence for the Israeli's that were killed and then as the week has unfolded they have realised that would make it look like ignoring the suffering of Palestinians so they have changed it to both sides. Then like you say it becomes an announcement that could have been made anytime in the last 2500 years.

• Like 1

I think some above may have missed the point in what I was trying to say, 

What benefit to anyone was the moments silence today? What did it actually achieve? 

Couldn’t the powers at be of done something that could have helped both sides, if they genuinely wanted to help? 

To me it very much screamed virtue signalling. At what point do you start/stop these moments of silence, the teacher in France recently, the two swedes in Belgium, the multiple ongoing conflicts in Africa? It all seems very pick and choosey on what should be deemed an issue and what shouldn’t, when really everyone is as important as each other. 

• Like 4

Divide and rule policy (Latin: divide et impera), or divide and conquer, in politics and sociology is gaining and maintaining power divisively. Historically and presently, this strategy was and is used in many different ways by empires seeking to expand their territories; however, it has been hard to distinguish between the exploitation of pre-existing divisions by opponents, and the deliberate creation or strengthening of these divisions implied by "divide and rule".

The whole minutes silence / applause for anything not football related is pointless in my opinion and needs a serious rethink by the people who run the game.

The common theme amongst the people attending games is the football itself, does anyone attend who doesn’t like football? OK perhaps some of the prawn sandwich brigade on a jolly, but only a handful at most.

In a crowd of 20K plus there will be a myriad of different opinions about everything under the sun that anyone can think of.

Bad things happen every day of our lives in one form or another across the globe, some affect people very personally, like the death of a loved one, some affect whole nations or people of a particular persuasion, religious or political, why should one of these events take precedent over any other?

If any football fan feels particularly strongly about a major issue outside of football there are other avenues to follow that might actually prove more effective for that individual.

My preference would be for a once a year acknowledgment of City fans who have died, and individual recognition of events like the passing of Sir Bobby, and the Remembrance Day event.

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry but I was at the game stone cold sober and that vid appears to back my point up that a few ********* ruined the minutes silence. 

Well yes that was my point, it was a few idiots not “wasn’t observed at all” and the ref didn’t blow early.

I didn’t mean to get so pedantic over it I just don’t think people realised the cock up by the announcer.

As I say, it’s clear as day on channel 4 (you can still view it online) the whistle goes to start the silence THEN the announcer talks over the first 30 seconds. The second whistle is a minute after the first.

I feel like I’m arguing over a minor point, sorry! I just didn’t think it was as bad as it might have been. Don’t think it helped there were Italians amongst the home ends, one group near me were one of the shouters during the silence.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure I agree with it all but it's 60 seconds not asking a lot is it? I do hope we have an applause for Sir Bobby on Weds though.

Missing the point super, what did 22,000 people being silent at Ashton gate achieve? What positive impact did it have on the current situation?

No one has been able to answer that question so far. 

To myself, the moments silence hasn’t helped anyone in that current conflict at all.

To me it just steams virtue signalling 

the public expression of opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or social conscience or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.”

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

My thoughts are that it’s one minute of paying respect to something so nothing to get annoyed about really. If you don’t like it then suck it up for 60 seconds.  

I think that’s what people do.  My concern is that that the regular minutes of silence have devalued the whole notion of the minutes silence.  Rather like the standing ovation (not just in football) is now accorded to anyone who says or does something vaguely above average.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, redkev said:

Sick to the back teeth of moments of silence , applause , black arm bands blah blah blah , there’s something every week now , the Israeli/ Gazza / Hamas shite is far too complicated for us to understand 

as for sir Bobby Charlton it’s football related and the bloke is a World Cup winner and legend that’s worth a minutes silence / applause 

It's virtue signalling of the highest order.  

Football is a cesspit of hypocrisy. 

Especially when you consider where the last World Cup was held. 

If there's money they'll take it...but in the meantime they'll tell you, the public, how you should think. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think that’s what people do.  My concern is that that the regular minutes of silence have devalued the whole notion of the minutes silence.  Rather like the standing ovation (not just in football) is now accorded to anyone who says or does something vaguely above average.

Aye, and I have a distinct sense of de ja vous with this one - pretty sure some years back the amount of silences, applauses and other tributes across football caused a change, so they were much more limited.

2 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I think some above may have missed the point in what I was trying to say, 

What benefit to anyone was the moments silence today? What did it actually achieve? 

Couldn’t the powers at be of done something that could have helped both sides, if they genuinely wanted to help? 

To me it very much screamed virtue signalling. At what point do you start/stop these moments of silence, the teacher in France recently, the two swedes in Belgium, the multiple ongoing conflicts in Africa? It all seems very pick and choosey on what should be deemed an issue and what shouldn’t, when really everyone is as important as each other. 

Does it have to achieve anything concrete to be worth doing?

It's not like by doing it people or organisations are less able to help in other ways if they want.

I'm not sure football is the best place for a lot of these things for the record, but a moment of quiet contemplation isn't the worst thing in the world, even if it doesn't magically change anything - which nobody is expecting it to anyway.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Presumably it’ll be another minutes silence on Wednesday for Sir Bobby Charlton

Which is absolutely right & proper.

If people want to moan about showing a minute of respect for the passing of England’s greatest exponent of the game they have all come to watch, I simply can’t understand that.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

• Admin
10 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I don’t mind it, 60 seconds and it’s been collectively agreed so I see no reason why not to participate. I however don’t have a lot of time for people heckling which I heard today (believe it was from the Coventry end).

A Cov shouted "Get on with it" and then booed by a few, then a random shout in the Dolman again followed by a couple of boos 

Definitely much better respect than other games 

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Does it have to achieve anything concrete to be worth doing?

It's not like by doing it people or organisations are less able to help in other ways if they want.

I'm not sure football is the best place for a lot of these things for the record, but a moment of quiet contemplation isn't the worst thing in the world, even if it doesn't magically change anything - which nobody is expecting it to anyway.

If nobody is expecting it to achieve anything, then why do it?

8 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Are you expecting posting on this thread to do anything? Why do it then? You can apply that logic to loads of things we do.

It can have a personal effect for people even if it's not going to end a horrendous conflict thousands of miles away.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I guess it's just a gesture of respect for the many, many dead under tragic and horrific circumstances. I seem to remember we did the same the matches after 9/11 and the Tube bombings.

There will (rightly) be similar for Bobby Charlton on Wednesday and it's just about respect and remembrance. A minute's silence isn't about bringing anyone back to life or solving some political problem.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Not everything has to achieve something does it?

What does any minutes silence achieve? Nothing really, what does it allow? My answer would be that in modern busy society it allows a moments reflection of something (usually tragic) that has happened - I think we can all agree what has happened this week is tragic due to the scale?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

What's your obsession with 'achieving' something? Minute silences are to allow people to pay their respects, it's never ever been about 'achieving' anything.

By your reasoning we shouldn't do anything for Sir Bobby on Wednesday as that won't achieve anything either. 

52 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

What's your obsession with 'achieving' something? Minute silences are to allow people to pay their respects, it's never ever been about 'achieving' anything.

By your reasoning we shouldn't do anything for Sir Bobby on Wednesday as that won't achieve anything either. 

As if the powers at be cared that much, they could do something active and positive for the situation, the amount of money in football is insane and a minutes silence doesn’t help anyone.

Like the other poster just said, a QR code to donate for aid etc. 

Clubs donating 50p for every pie sold to Aid Charities etc .

To me it just seems virtue signalling. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

As if the powers at be cared that much, they could do something active and positive for the situation, the amount of money in football is insane and a minutes silence doesn’t help anyone.

Like the other poster just said, a QR code to donate for aid etc. 

Clubs donating 50p for every pie sold to Aid Charities etc .

To me it just seems virtue signalling. 

Will you think the silence for Sir Bobby or at Remembrance Day is "virtue signalling" or is it just when we remember foreign dead that it is?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TBW said:

The silence is for innocent people who have died. No matter what your thoughts are on Palestine/Israel, no innocent families should be dying on either side so just don't be a knob. Shut up for a minute.

Don't disagree with giving respect to/honouring all the innocent people who died in most recent Israel/Palestine conflict.

But, let's be honest, hundreds of thousands of innocent people are dying every day, due to wars/conflicts instigated by corrupt, power-hungry politicians and "world leaders" and the industrial miliary complex that funds and benefits from such wars.

Every person's life is of equal value and precious. So, one might argue that we ought to have a minute's silence for all the innocent victims, killed or maimed in every conflict. Where do we draw the line?

A pertinent question is, who decides which of the innocent victims worldwide warrant a minute's silence, how and why?

Another question concerning doing this at football and other sporting occasions. Is there a better, more appropriate way and place to pay respects to the innocent casualties of conflict?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Don't disagree with giving respect to/honouring all the innocent people who died in most recent Israel/Palestine conflict.

But, let's be honest, hundreds of thousands of innocent people are dying every day, due to wars/conflicts instigated by corrupt, power-hungry politicians and "world leaders" and the industrial miliary complex that funds and benefits from such wars.

Every person's life is of equal value and precious. So, one might argue that we ought to have a minute's silence for all the innocent victims, killed or maimed in every conflict. Where do we draw the line?

A pertinent question is, who decides which of the innocent victims worldwide warrant a minute's silence, how and why?

Another question concerning doing this at football and other sporting occasions. Is there a better, more appropriate way and place to pay respects to the innocent casualties of conflict?

Thanks Joe, put much better than I have put and hopefully gets what I meant across better. 

11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

It's pretty unprecedented though. When else in recent years have we had 1400 people, many children, brutally tortured and murdered on a single day and then thousands more dying while trapped without hope of escape in an enclave bombarded with the latest weapons of war? Even the Ukrainians had places to flee to.

It's such an awful thing that I think (as with 9/11) 60 seconds reflection to respect the victims is not unreasonable.

I can't recall anyone banging on about "virtue signalling" when there were minute's silences after 9/11, but then, in those days, social media hadn't persuaded some that signalling virtue was a bad thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Are you expecting posting on this thread to do anything? Why do it then? You can apply that logic to loads of things we do.

It can have a personal effect for people even if it's not going to end a horrendous conflict thousands of miles away.

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's pretty unprecedented though. When else in recent years have we had 1400 people, many children, brutally tortured and murdered on a single day and then thousands more dying while trapped without hope of escape in an enclave bombarded with the latest weapons of war? Even the Ukrainians had places to flee to.

It's such an awful thing that I think (as with 9/11) 60 seconds reflection to respect the victims is not unreasonable.

I can't recall anyone banging on about "virtue signalling" when there were minute's silences after 9/11, but then, in those days, social media hadn't persuaded some that signalling virtue was a bad thing.

Quite right , it’s simply about paying respect , those 60 seconds of silence actually give a good chance to reflect, for those that look to

• Like 4