IGNORED

Robins Reunited - Martin Scott & Andy Leaning

3 Peaps In A PodCast

Podcast coming soon… it will take a while to edit this - it is currently well over 2 hours… 3 Robins Reviews this week too… big thanks to all of those who recognise the efforts and time commitment that goes into producing these podcasts especially the Robins Reunited’s… it is a labour of love and like many that have reached out to say so it also helps with our mental fitness to talk through games and celebrate former players contributions…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Loved Martin Scott, solely as a defender I would argue that he was actually the best of that very long line of excellent left backs (Barnard, Brennan & Bell).

Leaning was a decent keeper who didn’t cope too well with the new back pass rule, but purely as a goalkeeper he was pretty good & of course he saved that Holloway penalty..

No surprise to listen to them here where they come across as decent blokes, which I am sure they are.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Loved Martin Scott, solely as a defender I would argue that he was actually the best of that very long line of excellent left backs (Barnard, Brennan & Bell).

Leaning was a decent keeper who didn’t cope too well with the new back pass rule, but purely as a goalkeeper he was pretty good & of course he saved that Holloway penalty..

No surprise to listen to them here where they come across as decent blokes, which I am sure they are.

To be honest Scott aslo put most wingers to shame with his crossing.. that wasn't half bad, and his pens were pretty good. I'd have him as our best left back, if defending was the main concern for the past 40 years

Leaning, well it was all there for him but a squirt called Sinclair took it off him in the most important season then neither really to be seen again after Welch's arrival, the original ball playing keeper, prone to the od 30 to 40 yard howler!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRL said:

To be honest Scott aslo put most wingers to shame with his crossing.. that wasn't half bad, and his pens were pretty good. I'd have him as our best left back, if defending was the main concern for the past 40 years

Leaning, well it was all there for him but a squirt called Sinclair took it off him in the most important season then neither really to be seen again after Welch's arrival, the original ball playing keeper, prone to the od 30 to 40 yard howler!

Fair summary.

Scott also played in an era when hard tackles were seen as fair game & he was excellent at them. Good in the air, too.

Always rated Leaning above Sinclair, who was too short & more prone to letting in a shot that he should have saved than Andy, for me.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Fair summary.

Scott also played in an era when hard tackles were seen as fair game & he was excellent at them. Good in the air, too.

Always rated Leaning above Sinclair, who was too short & more prone to letting in a shot that he should have saved than Andy, for me.

Agree with all of that, sinclair came in did the job and was hard to drop on form  but I think leaning was better 

Scott a class above and that is saying something with out left backs over the years. Top drawer 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Scott my fave City LB of all-time (my time)….and we’ve had some good-uns 

Mine is still Matty Hill, left or left centre back. Shit technique, covered all our centre backs at the time and made them look better than they were. Gave his all with a smile on his face. Top man for me

But with favouritism aside, it would be Scott all day

Thank you, looking forward to this.

Whilst I don’t particularly like the post match podcasts the Robins Reunited ones have been very good. I’ve said before but the host does a great job in letting the guests talk and reveal some good insights.

If you haven’t already listened to them they are really worth checking out. 

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Scott my fave City LB of all-time (my time)….and we’ve had some good-uns 

Not wrong there Fevs, it is interesting how blessed we’ve been over the years in that position. What with Scott, Bell, Barnard, Brennan we’ve had some crackers. I’ve loved them all but Bell just takes it for me. 

• Like 1

Great to hear from Andy L!

From 1988-1992 I was a young(11-14 year old) Goalkeeper, and I was lucky enough to attend the England goalkeeper coaching school. It was a national thing, but moved around the country. When it was held in Bristol (at St Brendan's College) Andy Leaning, and in later years Keith Welch, coached us.

I remember Andy was very inspirational, his level of technical detail when it came to positioning and anticipation of where I needed to be positioned, was amazing.

Somewhere in my parent's attic I think I still have my attendance certificates, which I got signed by Andy and Keith. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 3 Peaps In A PodCast said:

Podcast coming soon… it will take a while to edit this - it is currently well over 2 hours… 3 Robins Reviews this week too… big thanks to all of those who recognise the efforts and time commitment that goes into producing these podcasts especially the Robins Reunited’s… it is a labour of love and like many that have reached out to say so it also helps with our mental fitness to talk through games and celebrate former players contributions…

Its much appreciated!

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, 3 Peaps In A PodCast said:

As a teenager i was invited to attend a physio course with buster back in the day, and martin scott would come in on his evenings off and observe,,, buster would point out muscle groups on scotts legs,, they were huge! He was a top player. I was obviously star struck being around him as a lad.

i was also caught out in a john bailey wind up too,,, he was sat with his leg in a bucket of water with an electric pulse running through it to aid muscle recovery,,, buster invited us to put our hand in the bucket to see if we could feel the pulse, and cause i was closest i went first…. Old john is sat there looking at me like a lion eyeing up a gazelle,,, soon as my finger tips touch the water he shouts “bang” in my ear, i jump a mile, everyone has a good laugh!

• Haha 3

Knew Martin from Saturday nights with Tins and Welshy in the Queen's Head, good guy would chat alot, the last time I saw Andy was either celebrating with the fans on the fence in the East End after we beat Rovers in what was dubbed the Louie Donowa game.. or in May News in Nailsea with two Somerfield bags..

😀

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Totally agree Graham , as an overall package , still have him as the best in my years 

Good athlete , great tackler , great attitude / determination , decent in the air , decent going forward - As I said , other than fancy tricks he wasn’t missing much 

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

As a teenager i was invited to attend a physio course with buster back in the day, and martin scott would come in on his evenings off and observe,,, buster would point out muscle groups on scotts legs,, they were huge! He was a top player. I was obviously star struck being around him as a lad.

i was also caught out in a john bailey wind up too,,, he was sat with his leg in a bucket of water with an electric pulse running through it to aid muscle recovery,,, buster invited us to put our hand in the bucket to see if we could feel the pulse, and cause i was closest i went first…. Old john is sat there looking at me like a lion eyeing up a gazelle,,, soon as my finger tips touch the water he shouts “bang” in my ear, i jump a mile, everyone has a good laugh!

I think IIRC he was doing a physio study / qualification

I did an on pitch emergency treatment course with him at AG, and he was funny , humble and a really top lad

• Like 1