IGNORED

Cardiff City strengths & style

mightyreds89

Cardiff aren’t a side I’ve really watched this season, but have a load of familiar names….including a few who’ve caused us problems in the past - Meite, Bowler, Robinson.

IMG_8884.thumb.jpeg.d83dc3010943c06162c16ebdf140a9ef.jpeg

Their fans have been impressed with Goutas the CB, and Collins at LB looked good early last season until he got a bad injury.

They aren't a side we should be fearing though…but our injuries are really gonna make this tough.  They are outperforming their numbers a bit, and are the lowest pressing team in the league.  But I can’t comment too much on whether that’s poor execution or they generally sit deep.

Sorry, I can’t add much more.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Cardiff aren’t a side I’ve really watched this season, but have a load of familiar names….including a few who’ve caused us problems in the past - Meite, Bowler, Robinson.

IMG_8884.thumb.jpeg.d83dc3010943c06162c16ebdf140a9ef.jpeg

Their fans have been impressed with Goutas the CB, and Collins at LB looked good early last season until he got a bad injury.

They aren't a side we should be fearing though…but our injuries are really gonna make this tough.  They are outperforming their numbers a bit, and are the lowest pressing team in the league.  But I can’t comment too much on whether that’s poor execution or they generally sit deep.

Sorry, I can’t add much more.

Thanks Fevs informative as always. 

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

Am I right in saying that losing to Cardiff was the last straw for LJ? 

I'm genuinely concerned that history could repeat itself.

LJ was the C'ship's longest serving manager at the time. Nige currently the second longest serving.

Also, the last time the manager of a Bristol club lost their job (Tisdale at Rovers) the other one lost theirs 7 days later (Holden). 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ was the C'ship's longest serving manager at the time. Nige currently the second longest serving.

Also, the last time the manager of a Bristol club lost their job (Tisdale at Rovers) the other one lost theirs 7 days later (Holden). 

I don't think Cardiff is necessarily must win for Nige, but lose this (would be 5 defeats in 7) would make the Shef Wednesday game must win. 

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I don't think Cardiff is necessarily must win for Nige, but lose this (would be 5 defeats in 7) would make the Shef Wednesday game must win. 

Sheffield Wednesday could be heading to Ashton looking for their first win of the season, we all know how kind City are to sides that need to break a winless run.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Montpelierblue said:

For the first time in years we have a proper midfield dynamo…..a little Greek god he is. Let’s hope young Tanner can come on and do what he did in the last derby……

You will not get to see Tanner, along with Vyner, Naismith, Williams and Wells, which are injured players that would be 1st choice starters, we have others injured who would be subs, so you are getting to play us at a good time, where we are having to put out a make shift side of players who would not be 1st choice, coming back from injury or youth 

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And then Pearson and Barton were appointed very close together as well...possibly even the same day if I remember correctly?

Are their fates intertwined like some kind of horrendously twisted Voodoo?

13 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You will not get to see Tanner, along with Vyner, Naismith, Williams and Wells, which are injured players that would be 1st choice starters, we have others injured who would be subs, so you are getting to play us at a good time, where we are having to put out a make shift side of players who would not be 1st choice, coming back from injury or youth 

He’s referring to Ollie Tanner, the Cardiff winger.

Not going to lie, they have surprised me by doing so well.

Despite an alleged transfer embargo they have (again) recruited heavily & brought in a couple that the coach clearly knows.

Say this about virtually every away game but would take the draw now, absolutely no idea who will partner Dickie at CB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not going to lie, they have surprised me by doing so well.

Despite an alleged transfer embargo they have (again) recruited heavily & brought in a couple that the coach clearly knows.

Say this about virtually every away game but would take the draw now, absolutely no idea who will partner Dickie at CB.

Totally agree. I think 4 points from the next two games would do nicely and I'd be happy with a dull draw in this one for a change. 

I'd either go Dickie and Pring, or just bring a U21 player in. They might not be ready but at least it's their preferred position and they'd have Dickie to organise them. Even if it's Idehen 🫣

14 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

Looking at who might be available I’d probably go with something like this argument you could put Bell or Cornick up top with Tommy (if he isn’t rested). 

Skye’s has been good at RB but we have missed his forward threat the last 2 games think this would give us more of an outlet/balance. 

IMG_1699.png

I'd think that Mehmeti getting any minutes is highly unlikely - let alone getting a starting place.

Absolute waste of a squad place whilst NP outright refuses to give him any minutes. 

He surely has to be a more effective option than Yeboah, at this stage, but just seems so way off getting any game time that it's pointless him even taking up one of the half time orange segments..!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mozo said:

Totally agree. I think 4 points from the next two games would do nicely and I'd be happy with a dull draw in this one for a change. 

I'd either go Dickie and Pring, or just bring a U21 player in. They might not be ready but at least it's their preferred position and they'd have Dickie to organise them. Even if it's Idehen 🫣

I know he fell out of favour and has been in the wilderness since, but towards the end of the 21-22 season I thought Idehen looked decent. Admittedly in some dead rubber fixtures but certainly loved a challenge iirc

1 minute ago, devoncider said:

I know he fell out of favour and has been in the wilderness since, but towards the end of the 21-22 season I thought Idehen looked decent. Admittedly in some dead rubber fixtures but certainly loved a challenge iirc

What better chance of redemption?!

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

What better chance of redemption?!

Don’t think it will happen, but agree.

We basically have 2 natural senior defenders fit in Pring & Dickie, so Sykes who would give us so much more if played further up the pitch, sadly has to stay at RB.

Looking at the other defensive options it is then one from a number of the U21s or shuffling another midfielder (probably TGH) to go back there.

Idehen is older at 21 than Knight-Lebel, Araoye or Joseph James & although it is all relative, does have some league experience from his time at Grimsby & his couple of sub appearances for us. He is also both a proper centre back (as opposed to playing someone else out of position) & a physical type.

I’d start him tomorrow but I don’t expect Nige will.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t think it will happen, but agree.

We basically have 2 natural senior defenders fit in Pring & Dickie, so Sykes who would give us so much more if played further up the pitch, sadly has to stay at RB.

Looking at the other defensive options it is then one from a number of the U21s or shuffling another midfielder (probably TGH) to go back there.

Idehen is older at 21 than Knight-Lebel, Araoye or Joseph James & although it is all relative, does have some league experience from his time at Grimsby & his couple of sub appearances for us. He is also both a proper centre back (as opposed to playing someone else out of position) & a physical type.

I’d start him tomorrow but I don’t expect Nige will.

Idehen has been playing well for the u21s so it would make sense for him to come in.

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Idehen has been playing well for the u21s so it would make sense for him to come in.

Was told by someone whose view I respect that he consistently did all last season, reckoned for him he was in the top two for their player of the season, but he never got a chance then..

Just now, GrahamC said:

Was told by someone whose view I respect that he consistently did all last season, reckoned for him he was in the top two for their player of the season, but he never got a chance then..

True, but with circumstances as they are, he is surely the best option. No matter what off-field issues Nige may have with him, it's time to be pragmatic, surely. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True, but with circumstances as they are, he is surely the best option. No matter what off-field issues Nige may have with him, it's time to be pragmatic, surely. 

And in fairness to Nige he does give more than one chance.  I hope he takes it if it’s offered.  Could be a sliding doors moment in his career, whether that’s staying here or shop window for elsewhere.

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You know we have a Tanner right? :laugh: