IGNORED

Questions for Nigel maybe fans can answer?

BS2Boy

Hi I am a long term observer and have signed up as I have some questions that fans may have the answer to, and it revolves around Pearson and some inconsistencies in his comments/approach.

Firstly, when we had Bentley and Max Pearson made it very clear that having 2 competing goalkeepers is essential as it keeps players on their toes and ensures they need to be at their best at all times. Since Bentley has gone (and understandable with his wages)Pearson has gone suspiciously quiet on this. To put it bluntly, why didn’t we sign another keeper to challenge Max? You could argue he should’ve done better for the Rotherham goal, the Piroe goal, and definitely the Broadhead goal on Wednesday. 3 mistakes from our last 4 goals. Why isn’t their competition? Why didn’t we strengthen in the summer, we went and signed Hayden Roberts who was never going to replace Pring, could the money have been spent better on a more urgent position….people can fill in at left back, they can’t in goal.

Secondly, Nigel has stated we have to use money wisely, so why did we offer Nahki Wells a new deal? Yes he works hard and has been a good servant but he has never been a consistent goalscorer for us. The reasoning I heard was that he is a good role model and support for our young players - isn’t that the job of Jason Euell? 
Is it due to being tight and not having the money to sign someone? Surely that can’t be the case as while he took a cut he would still be one of the highest paid players in the club, does he merit it? Did we jump the gun? His record since signing the new deal has been poor.

Thirdly, how much money did we make from the Semenyo and Scott deals have how much have we reinvested? I have no idea so would be interested to know the numbers, I’m assuming a big healthy profit?

A key point you have missed is that Steve is not prepared to spend any of the Scott money as he wants to build a 'nest egg' so we can compete at some unspecified point in the future.

Why none of that can be used to help us compete now is a mystery but since Steve only talks to a friendly little Guernsey radio station we may never know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

A key point you have missed is that Steve is not prepared to spend any of the Scott money as he wants to build a 'nest egg' so we can compete at some unspecified point in the future.

Why none of that can be used to help us compete now is a mystery but since Steve only talks to a friendly little Guernsey radio station we may never know.

Is the best egg for Steve personally, I.e withdrawing funds for him and his family, or is he waiting to spend it? I haven’t seen anything concrete if there is anything. 

2 minutes ago, BS2Boy said:

Is the best egg for Steve personally, I.e withdrawing funds for him and his family, or is he waiting to spend it? I haven’t seen anything concrete if there is anything. 

I have no idea but potentially it could be used to pay off the third party debt incurred in rebuilding the ground and this would mean a permanent improvement to the annual result, helping with FFP and if course making the club more valuable if it was to be sold.

Pure guess, the Lansdowns could well have entirely different intentions.

4 minutes ago, BS2Boy said:

Nest egg was his own term and he explicitly said he wanted to build one so we can compete. Though he didn't say how big the nest egg has to be before we can spend any of it he does seem to think we can bring in Scott type money every year, which is at best naive.

1 hour ago, BS2Boy said:

Hi I am a long term observer and have signed up as I have some questions that fans may have the answer to, and it revolves around Pearson and some inconsistencies in his comments/approach.

Firstly, when we had Bentley and Max Pearson made it very clear that having 2 competing goalkeepers is essential as it keeps players on their toes and ensures they need to be at their best at all times. Since Bentley has gone (and understandable with his wages)Pearson has gone suspiciously quiet on this. To put it bluntly, why didn’t we sign another keeper to challenge Max? You could argue he should’ve done better for the Rotherham goal, the Piroe goal, and definitely the Broadhead goal on Wednesday. 3 mistakes from our last 4 goals. Why isn’t their competition? Why didn’t we strengthen in the summer, we went and signed Hayden Roberts who was never going to replace Pring, could the money have been spent better on a more urgent position….people can fill in at left back, they can’t in goal.

Secondly, Nigel has stated we have to use money wisely, so why did we offer Nahki Wells a new deal? Yes he works hard and has been a good servant but he has never been a consistent goalscorer for us. The reasoning I heard was that he is a good role model and support for our young players - isn’t that the job of Jason Euell? 
Is it due to being tight and not having the money to sign someone? Surely that can’t be the case as while he took a cut he would still be one of the highest paid players in the club, does he merit it? Did we jump the gun? His record since signing the new deal has been poor.

Thirdly, how much money did we make from the Semenyo and Scott deals have how much have we reinvested? I have no idea so would be interested to know the numbers, I’m assuming a big healthy profit?

If you can't see what Nahki Wells brings to this team, you are quite frankly deluded. He MAY not score shedloads, but he is completely unselfish. He has helped the likes of Conway and Bell flourish, he is often a nuisance for defenders, and he is very consistent. The fact is, when Nahki is in the team, we are a better team going forward and there are goals. When Nahki is not in the team, we struggle to produce end product. I can think of at least 5-10 times, Nahki could have scored, or had a crack but layed it off for another player, or saw a better option. The fact he brings out the best in a number of our younger players, is a good influence and helps keeps them grounded, and plays to benefit them, is why he got a new deal, which he took a hefty pay cut to sign. Nahki Wells has contributed in being involved in at least 20 goals when he is on the pitch, just because he hasn't put it away, doesn't mean anyone with half a brain cell can appreciate what he brings to the club. The other night against Ipswich, we were crying out for Nahki on the pitch!

• Like 11
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't get blaming Max for Wednesday's goal, Broadhead had the freedom of Ashton Gate and the time to pick any spot he wanted, Max was a sitting duck really. 

He made three or four excellent saves when they were on top and another in the 2nd half.

I don’t think there’s any doubt he could and should have been closed down quicker but it was an xG of 0.05 and straight at Max. Had Broadhead wanted to pick his spot, it wouldn’t have been there. We should call it what it is - a save that should have been made and although Max was fine overall, trying to absolve him of blame for the goal is stretching a point a bit.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt he could and should have been closed down quicker but it was an xG of 0.05 and straight at Max. Had Broadhead wanted to pick his spot, it wouldn’t have been there. We should call it what it is - a save that should have been made and although Max was fine overall, trying to absolve him of blame for the goal is stretching a point a bit.

Yep, totally happy to say he should’ve saved it, but he shouldn’t get blame for result like I saw some saying “Nax, that result is on you” type stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He can be blamed for the goal but not the loss.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

The haters don’t remember the saves 

It is like Mike Gibson all over again.  Good saves but a mistake per game which often resulted in a goal

Answer

1 score more at the other end.  A problem this season because we failed to sign a striker

2 replace the goalie.  We failed to sign one

5 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

If you can't see what Nahki Wells brings to this team, you are quite frankly deluded. He MAY not score shedloads, but he is completely unselfish. He has helped the likes of Conway and Bell flourish, he is often a nuisance for defenders, and he is very consistent. The fact is, when Nahki is in the team, we are a better team going forward and there are goals. When Nahki is not in the team, we struggle to produce end product. I can think of at least 5-10 times, Nahki could have scored, or had a crack but layed it off for another player, or saw a better option. The fact he brings out the best in a number of our younger players, is a good influence and helps keeps them grounded, and plays to benefit them, is why he got a new deal, which he took a hefty pay cut to sign. Nahki Wells has contributed in being involved in at least 20 goals when he is on the pitch, just because he hasn't put it away, doesn't mean anyone with half a brain cell can appreciate what he brings to the club. The other night against Ipswich, we were crying out for Nahki on the pitch!

Absolutely this. We are massively missing Wells.

2 hours ago, Cidre Monita said:

There’s nothing to work out. He made some saves but ultimately let in a very saveable goal which led to the defeat. Doesn’t really matter what he did before or after the goal I’m afraid that was the key moment. 

So basically he can’t win?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

So basically he can’t win?

He could have made the save Dave and no one would have been questioning his ability. Very fine margins in football, as you know. I’ve thought for a long time that he has technical flaws in his game. A bit like Vyner who was very raw but improved with proper coaching. Hopefully the same will happen with Max. 

12 hours ago, BS2Boy said:

Are you a journalist or something? I mean the AS and AS deals have been discussed over many threads since January. 

12 hours ago, BS2Boy said:

Q1 We did Bajic WHO was on the bench today  

Q2 Wells is a good forward that brings others into play providing energy to our attack 

Q3 Yes a profit on two sales. A massive loss for years. Some of this can be hung on SL who supported LJ.