IGNORED

Subs and Depth - nothing to do with Royal Navy

Davefevs

So, just a simple point.

Imho, City were well on top second half.  Knight and TGH starting to run the midfield, Sykes getting forward, Mehmeti finding pockets, and interchanging well with Conway, who dropped deep on several occasions, and Mehmeti went in behind (nice to see movement at a pair).  We saw Weimann starting to get involved and J.James also finding himself in their third.

Cardiff reacted by bringing on Colwill and Wintle (for Morrison and Ralls) after 57 mins and initially they couldn’t stem the “wave” of our ascendancy.

But Mehmeti has barely played, he tired.

Yeboah replaced him on 67 mins and we moved him to RW and Weimann to AM.

I think the added fresh legs of Ugbo and Tanner on 72 mins (for Meite and Bowler) coupled with the first two subs getting up to speed helped wrestle the game back to them.  James was very tired, although his sub meant a debut for Knight-Lebel and a switch of Sykes to RB, Pring to LB.

But that 5 min spell of changes from us and then them seemed to knock us out of our stride.  Sykes seemed to enjoy cutting back onto his right where him and Cornick (who had moved to LW at h-t) were causing lots of probs.

This isn’t a criticism of the subs made, but shows how the concept of starters and finishers goes out the window if we are fielding line-ups like this.  And shows how Cardiff saw the game out by having players to come on and regain territory.

+++++

in terms of the debutants:

James - full debut - played a very safe game, talked through the game by Weimann, did ok

Knight-Lendl - debut - looked assured.

Neither did themselves any harm, certainly not rabbits in the headlights.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Saw about an hour of the game via a live stream & agree.

Sykes was doing really well completely out of position at LB, strangely he didn’t seem quite the same player on his more natural side.

Young James was exactly as you say, but clearly tiring very badly in the previous 5 minutes to his substitution & simply had to come off.

Knight-Lebel did fine but was put under surprisingly little pressure by Cardiff.

We just didn’t have the numbers to make many different changes to the ones we did, Backwell & Nelson have never featured in a league game, Idehen was never coming on once Knight-Lebel did & all we had apart from this were 2 goalkeepers.

Our squad is wafer thin right now. A little bit thin even if mostly fit but right now.

Even Bell and Conway aren't fully formed, Mehmeti likewise. That is good and bad but it is tough without doubt..

Then of all those coming in, most aren't ready IMO. Only in and around it due to the injuries, perhaps Yeboah the exception?

Screenshot_20231028-210643_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Jeepers that subs bench is basically all u21s. No wonder we are struggling against other teams in this division, especially considering how teams now use their subs. (Football is going the way of rugby in that regard with South Africa being the acknowledged masters of bringing on half a new team in the second half, who are at least as good as those they replaced and fresh.) After sales of approximately £30 million in the past year, how did we end up in this situation? Yes there has been FFP, but the lack of investment and the number of injuries are already meaning that this going to be another long and difficult season. That the owner no longer seems interested is being reflected in what we are seeing on the pitch.

• Like 1

For all the injuries and basically having the U18s playing, I thought there was nothing in the game. 
Disappointing goal to concede , could Max come ( not keen on Keepers coming into traffic normally) , could we have a man on the back post ? 

I did think that TGH & Knight were very good 2nd half, Mehmeti was good too. (Young) James was steady, not sure Weimann is much help with his impression of a windmill when pointing though. Knight-Lebel looked steady and composed. I don't think Cornick (?) helped him much on the goal, his positioning just begged Cowill to go between them. Yeboah again ran around but I want to see him getting shots away when he's within 15-20 yards of goal.

Not being able to bring on experienced heads is a hinderance to changing games. Being able to bring on Williams or Roberts for legs might have made a difference, but at the moment were are stuffed until players come back . 
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a healthy , lucky week.

@Davefevs I didn't realise you were just infront of us until into the 2nd half, would have had a chat. 

• Like 1