IGNORED

Weeks? More like months or even years..

MartockRed

That’s my view. It’s the only kind of logical (although still insanely illogical) conclusion I can come to why NP has been given the boot.

I was amazed but absolutely over the moon when he was appointed, he was totally what we needed (and still do), but he was last person I’d thought SL would employ given our owners track record. With that, I expressed to all my footballing chums down here in sunny Yeovil, I’m going to be treading on eggshells as this could end sourly at anytime.
I’d pretty much threw the towel in hoping for any mediocrity of success for our football club after the Holden appointment debacle. Then only a few months later, SL delivered a dagger to my heart when he came out publicly to say how he was massively in favour of ‘Project Big Picture’ (link below for reference) Subjective maybe, but to me that idea would’ve eradicated any remnants of romance left in the game, and more to the point, why would you strive to play at the elite level of domestic football only to be told what to eat when you’re finally sat dining at the top table. To me this added gallons of fuel to the smouldering rumours that SL didn’t want top flight football.

The wheels were already wobbling on team performances. Shortly after they completely came off. Games after game the fans cheering a rare corner kick like we just smashed one in from 30 yards to go 4-0 up. The astonishment of having more than a few seconds of possession inside the oppositions half. We were completely and utterly rudderless. 

Then Nigel Pearson happened. I was buzzing at the appointment. Not just because he’s a top manager in my opinion, it was more to do with maybe….maybe……just maybe our owner had finally learnt to let go of the strangle hold of all things football orientated, and finally let someone with real experience in the game get on with it. 

Looking back on NP’s tenure since he took the reins two and a half years ago, and all the pre/post match interviews with the media. I’d lost count the amount of times I thought, crikey, SL isn’t going to like hearing that. The number runs into the dozens. However, week after week Nige was still here, and after each time the maybe…just maybe feeling was steadily developing into a belief that a Leopard can actually change its spots. How wrong (or duped) was I to feel that way. 

It’s taken this time for NP to get the boot purely because the hierarchy knew he was/is doing a fantastic job. We all know Mr Lansdown loves a stock, and one of the majors in his portfolio was taking a nosedive. NP was the person to not only stopped the free fall, it’s now fully recovered and on an upward trajectory making substantial gains. Good business can be the only reason why SL made himself bite his lip and keep the sheath on his dictatorship of an axe for so long. 

In my view, this decision was made a long time ago. All the signs and evidence have been there for a while. My blind love for the club I chose to ignore them, and I’ve been dreading the last few weeks as it was all coming to the fore.

The way NP has been treated is shocking. The way it’s been delivered is lower than a snakes belly. Unless the only way the Lansdowns follow the club now is a quick glance at the results whilst browsing The Sun on a Sunday, then the use of results being a reason is totally bullshit. Don’t be surprised to now see a reemergence of our egotistical owner, coupled with a light loosening of the purse strings now he’ll have more input on his hobby of footballing matters. 

Thanks for another dagger to the chest Steve. 26 years a season ticket holder. I won’t be back until you’ve sold. 

Vote with your feet people. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-lansdown-favour-project-big-4681008.amp

• Like 3
  • Flames 2