IGNORED

The Return

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Maybe it's just me being negative, but sleeping on it, i'd be concerned that some of the more qualified managers on the available list simply won't take the job if offered anyway.

We'll see - but if they read the clubs statement after sacking Nige (TOP 6?!) and look at the tools they'd have available....we've traditionally failed to get top, upcoming managers in anyway under SL....for some reason - I fear this trend will continue.

Hope to be wrong. Rowett, doesn't particularly inspire me...but I actually fear for worse TBH.

This is my thinking too. There are plenty of available managers with experience at this level, and their agents might look at City as a great option for their clients, but as soon as they've had the chat with the 'board' and realise the limitations they'd have to deal with, they might think better of it.

The only unlikely alternative is that the board were squirreling the Scott money for the inevitable new manager.... (hey, I said unlikely!)

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

This is my thinking too. There are plenty of available managers with experience at this level, and their agents might look at City as a great option for their clients, but as soon as they've had the chat with the 'board' and realise the limitations they'd have to deal with, they might think better of it.

The only unlikely alternative is that the board were squirreling the Scott money for the inevitable new manager.... (hey, I said unlikely!)

It wouldn't be the first time, allegedly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Maybe it's just me being negative, but sleeping on it, i'd be concerned that some of the more qualified managers on the available list simply won't take the job if offered anyway.

We'll see - but if they read the clubs statement after sacking Nige (TOP 6?!) and look at the tools they'd have available....we've traditionally failed to get top, upcoming managers in anyway under SL....for some reason - I fear this trend will continue.

Hope to be wrong. Rowett, doesn't particularly inspire me...but I actually fear for worse TBH.

Was going to post similar and ask the question how attractive are we to a new manager. Maxed out our wage budget despite a squad made up of academy players. Need to sell a £25million player every summer for the ‘nest egg’ all whilst aiming to emulate Luton, Brentford, Swansea , Reading anybody else I’ve missed? When we sacked Johnson we had our choice and were probably relatively appealing - this is a mess and if we get this wrong with the sense of negativity within the fan base and also the dressing room it could be a very costly mistake for our owner / chairman 

• Like 4

We will have loads of people interested, it's a good job and the winner will walk into a 3 year contract on good money. Many will put up with the peripheral shite with the get out, they can claim interference . 
These will not be the ones we particularly want.
Some may be put off when they are told what has gone on and what will be involved > Having players chosen for them ? having tactics questioned by someone without the foggiest clue in football ? 
These will more principled and stronger types, the ones we might want but Lansdown can't handle.

IMO it comes down to the fact that with all his wealth, his success & his 'standing in the community' , he must be a very fragile person. He doesn't like people not bowing to his way, or that's how it seems. We have spent 2 years getting back on an even keel after his recklessness go us there. Nige did a great job under incredible pressure and financhal constraints , only to be cut off at the knees the first chance SL got. 

The next man in will encounter an interesting situation (specially if its Rowett it seems) , it could be hostile and unforgiving. They could win games and still not get credit , some may not like that but I don't see it changing unless we somehow have an amazing season. Bringing in sales of about £35M and offering OOC cover ain't gonna bring that.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah I don't want to be too negative because we are, or at least very much should be, an exciting prospect for a new manager. The potential is there.

But for me, if I was a Dean Smith, Chris Wilder or John Eustace etc, i'd be left with a lot of questions about the job - the fact the owners are publicly trying to sell the club, the manner of NP's sacking, the available funds, will they have to continue to sell their best players, the current state of the squad etc etc. The management structure/board of the club would have any top coach concerned IMO - are the right people in the right places to enable them to do their job successfully?

Irony is for all the development we've seemingly made as a club, now we're looking again for a new head coach, I feel like, and SL will find out again, we're still in a position where the best calibre managers at our level would rather stay on gardening leave and hold out for a 'better offer'.  

Again, I hope i'm wrong...

• Like 4

If it's true that ' members of the board' wanted free agents brought in, and presented a list, then I'm gob smacked. 

What do members of the board know about football more than NP?

The audacity to think you can go to NP and suggest free agents...like they know more than him.

If NP wanted any free agents, he would have known who was available and asked for them...not the other way round. 🤷🤦

Perhaps Tinnion was involved in this ' presentation' ?

Edited by spudski
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Phil White said:

Welcome back Shags. In the short time I’ve been here I’ve really enjoyed your insights & hopefully for a long time to come.

NP was 💩 from a great height but moving forward I really hope it won’t be Rowett, personally of those available I would prefer Eustace or Beale. My personal choice would be Corboran but doubt that is achievable.

Rowett really is the cherry on the turd 💩🍒

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, spudski said:

If it's true that ' members of the board' wanted free agents brought in, and presented a list, then I'm gob smacked. 

The audacity to think you can go to NP and suggest free agents...like they know more than him.

If NP wanted any free agents, he would have known who was available and asked for them...not the other way round. 🤷🤦

Perhaps.......I doubt he was sat at home on his arse doing nothing yesterday.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Seems he’s been very much involved in all of it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Managers out of work want to be in work.

Rowett is the name I keep hearing.

He seems to be in pole position, the question is why though?

Over 500 games as a manager, no promotions, won nothing. His CV is worse than Lee Johnson's. 

All 3 of the front runners Jones, Rowett, Eustace, have a worse CV than Nige. Crazy isn't it.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Managers out of work are out of work for a reason. 

Personally I'd be trying to poach an in work manager from L1. More expensive, but I'd say it has a better chance of success.

Whether or not Pearson should have had his contract extended - i's ridiculous that the board (of two people, I'll never stop saying that) have managed to create a crisis off the back of progressively climbing the table and banking £35m in a calendar year.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I thought that there was a problem with the total wage bill and that would mean that the bean counters were willing to increase this to allow for free agents. They would need a few weeks to get up to speed, by which time the regular injured players may have recovered and we would be then able to recruit permanent players in the January window. None of this seems to make much sense apart from Nigel's response.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

He seems to be in pole position, the question is why though?

Over 500 games as a manager, no promotions, won nothing. His CV is worse than Lee Johnson's. 

All 3 of the front runners Jones, Rowett, Eustace, have a worse CV than Nige. Crazy isn't it.

I could stomach Eustace given we have to accept Nige is gone now. Rowett is as uninspiring as it gets and if they appoint Jones then I seriously consider whether it's worth giving any more time to the club whilst the current circus are running it. I will pretty pissed off if that odious dwarf is given the privilege of attending an interview let alone appointed.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

He’ll probably do as they say. Nothing more to it than that.

Oh indeed, they just want some sort of patsy. 

But in the context of a club that wants to push young players through as fast as possible (so they can be flogged for profit), whilst also buying a high percentage of unproven lower league players with potential (so they can be flogged for profit), one of the most important parts of the job is surely man-management skills, the ability to build a culture that allows talent to bloom - Pearson is brilliant at this. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Quite. There will only be a limited number (who think they will imminently have better offers) who wound say no. It always has been and always will be a market where there are numerous candidates for a small number of positions, regardless of owners. Or else Reading, for example, wouldn’t have a manager thus season!

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It would figure;

experience in the Championship working on a budget and no real danger of getting promoted. 
Go get him Stevie boy. 

Just pointing out that Rowetts net spend over the last 16months was £9m out the door and nothing back in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Quite. There will only be a limited number (who think they will imminently have better offers) who wound say no. It always has been and always will be a market where there are numerous candidates for a small number of positions, regardless of owners. Or else Reading, for example, wouldn’t have a manager thus season!

Yes, I'm sure they'll have had at least 100* emails, and calls from people wanting the job. No doubt SL's ego is off the scale this morning as he reads all the big names from the past crawling out of the woodwork desperate to work for him.

(*Ok 95 of them are from Ian Gay 😀)

Edited by CodeRed
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mate, I would mainly feel relief if we got someone experienced like Rowett. My fear is we end up with Robbie Fowler or the Guernsey assistant manager.

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

I’m told that Tinnion was up at the training ground yesterday watching the academy so it’s very possible he was present. 

• Like 1