IGNORED

How Do They Turn This Around?

Silvio Dante

How Do They Turn This Around?  

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think I’ve seen enough now, especially with Tinnion’s interview posted earlier.

We’re basically a club that will be run with the academy providing players to the first team and as soon as an offer comes in for those players they will be sold.

No big investments in the market, just kids.

The new coach won’t be able to question those above at all and will be sacked if the kids aren’t in the top 6.

I’m now officially done until the Lansdown’s are gone. Just a bunch of complete head’s gone’s!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Yes, its not our problem and we should be an attractive proposition to potential investors. In that case, why aren't they coming forward?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We’re not privy to these conversations but think @Merrick's Marvels hit the nail on the head.

Rugby is a loss making minority interest sport, basketball even more so. Our women’s team might be top flight but in name only, no quality or investment.

Who on earth wants to buy all this as well as a football club?

That’s my take.

Any idea what SL is asking for the club/whole package? I've read Everton available for 500 million, 220 million for Sheffield United, and 170 million for Wednesday. There seems to be a lot of clubs for sale and none look like good business propositions. The Bristol Sport thing doesn't really add any value.... if anything it adds costs that need to be covered, (maybe some possibilities for short term gains with the residential/hotel packages in the sporting quarter). I presume the addition to the asking price for the BS add-on stuff puts us in a similar price bracket to the Sheffield teams who both have a higher stature. Lots of clubs for sale, some are more attractive, a sale isn't imminent, is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Nige is gone now and isn’t coming back. Not many supported this but it happened anyway. As fans we worry about the direction of the club but we are essentially all just passengers - to pretend otherwise is laughable. This isn’t just a Lansdown thing though - it’s a ‘football’ thing and has been for many years. I get that at a time like this we might be thinking that ‘any’ owners have got be be better than these but is this really the case? Any owner coming forward who isn’t a fan or who has no local ties is by definition an investor. Whist there is an argument that BCFC is already a rich man’s plaything at least there’s some sort of ‘legacy’ in place (stadium) and no-one could ever suggest that BCFC has ever been a ‘cash cow’ for the Lansdown family. There are far too many narcissistic, idiot owners in football. The odds on us getting shot of the Lansdowns and then somehow picking up some sort of generous and benevolent billionaire are zero I’m afraid. Be careful what you wish for.

We are frequently advised to this end, but does anyone ever say this to Steve? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

But given that renowned football experts Steve and Jon believe the squad is good enough, once they appoint the new head coach shouldn't it be pretty much a given that we will make the top 6 because Nigel was the only impediment that?

Well they do clearly think the squad is good enough - as I was told they believed it was two years ago by Gould btw - so yes you're presumably correct.

But my post was just to say that they'll only "turn it around", at least in terms of getting the majority of fans back in board, if they (the board and new coach) can get us to win games. That's it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Not for me. I’m back on my annual visit to the UK in December, and I’m looking at other games to go to instead.

I’ve been to games that City are not playing - it’s never the same!! I’m as annoyed as the next man with the situation, but it’s not going to change anything. I just hope the frustration is not taken out on the next manager, whoever it is

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

I dont care who they get in. I want them out.

Years ago I shouted down this Bristol Sport thing, the dilution of the Football Club and a rebuilt stadium that is no longer a football ground for Bristol City FC.

And now add the ridiculous sacking of a Manager, who we all started to understand how and what he could work with.

It's all been a Lansdown Legacy and I have nothing to be grateful for. His debt, his stadium and I don't get to watch my team for free.

Get them OUT!!

When was it free to watch city? I missed that!

I guess the biggest issue is,  no one wants to buy us, so can he sell? Posted elsewhere that it would help find investors if we didn’t have such a random organisational structure and various other underperforming sports teams all tied up in the BS BS. Let’s hope it can be disentangled somehow. 

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Option 5 - Win football matches.

Win games and sadly most will forget about things like corporate governance, fan communication, and principles of good management.

My plea is to please not forget about those things if by some miracle we ever find ourselves in the top 6.

Totally agree with this, something we haven't been doing very often.  It pretty simple to make people move on, win and keep winning.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s clear the decision and the management of the response has gone down like a cup of cold sick. So, the question now becomes if the current regime (Lansdowns and Tinnion) can ever regain the faith of the fanbase, and if so, how. 

All options are fraught. If they sell, it’s likely to be a protracted process and they won’t be giving due care to the club while ongoing. If they give a new manager cash it’ll be sullied by the fact they wouldn’t do it for Nige, and if they ever reappointed Nige it’d render them neutered.

So, is there now any way back, and how?

They should reinstate NP, and then sell up. Dolts.

3 hours ago, cheese said:

Appoint Sarina Wiegman  😉

FFS. Don't give them ideas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We’re not privy to these conversations but think @Merrick's Marvels hit the nail on the head.

Rugby is a loss making minority interest sport, basketball even more so. Our women’s team might be top flight but in name only, no quality or investment.

Who on earth wants to buy all this as well as a football club?

That’s my take.

I don't think the rugby loses much money at all Graham.  Staff costs are pretty much fixed by the salary cap and there is decent revenue.  Lansdown has recently been complaining he can't spend more on wages.  It probably makes a loss just like City do on the books though. The complex structure of the companies hides revenues from the sports teams (ie all beer/pasties sold at matches be they football or rugby go to Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd).  Long suspected our financial situation was made to look worse by the structure too.  Only one of the companies will make money and that would be the one based in Guernsey..

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I don't think the rugby loses much money at all Graham.  Staff costs are pretty much fixed by the salary cap and there is decent revenue.  Lansdown has recently been complaining he can't spend more on wages.  It probably makes a loss just like City do on the books though. The complex structure of the companies hides revenues from the sports teams (ie all beer/pasties sold at matches be they football or rugby go to Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd).  Long suspected our financial situation was made to look worse by the structure too.  Only one of the companies will make money and that would be the one based in Guernsey..

Mostly agree with tbis analysis, up to the last bit- AGL sits under Bristol City Holdings which by and large consolidated Bristol City FC and Bristol City Holdings. A bit goes to the rugby but the bulk appears in the consolidator.

Convoluted for sure but unless we are claiming the audited accounts are and have been wrong for years...albeit with the Pula structure we will never be certain.

This is the straw that broke the camels back for most our fans.

I personally had enough of SL a while a go. There was no coming back from the Holden fiasco. 

He's done a couple of good things for this club but the negatives far outweigh the positives for me. 

He's had plenty of time to change but his ego clearly gets in the way. If the next appointment ends up any good it will be more luck than judgement.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

The funny thing is, if we win both of our next two games, which are perfectly winnable, many would calm down. (Don’t get me wrong I’d have Pearson back in a heartbeat) 

However if we don’t win on Saturday and then god forbid get beaten by an awful QPR side with a sold out away following there will be an even greater meltdown !

Who on earth would want to become manager here? Most new managers come into a situation where the supporters have had enough of the previous manager not this. 

The new bloke has his back up against the wall from day one, particularly if it comes out that discussions started while Pearson was still here!!

ugh 

• Like 1

Ultimately if their next appointment gets us to the playoffs nearly all will be forgiven... or at least temporarily forgotten so I've voted for appoint big name and spend money.

As it stands, I can't see that happening with their track record so I'm leaning towards they can't, sell up. But, there's definitely worse owners out there.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm honestly not sure how they can

I actually feel a bit sorry for the new Manager, as apart from Osman and Pulis I can't remember such a negative vibe around a potential new Manager

The club could probably be wise and not appoint before Saturday

There is clearly going to be some kind of backlash on Saturday and if we go behind etc the fans are only going to get more vociferous 

A new Manager doesn't deserve to be walking into that

We have two win able games on the horizon - convenient timing for the new person to start?

As a fanbase, we have to get behind the new manager.

As you say, none of this is their fault - and the new manager failing doesn't suit anyone.

I think I agree, get the first game out of the way before appointing someone so they don't walk into a backlash.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Honestly I think they need to sell up, I just can't see how they can come back from this, I will never trust them again to have the best interests of the club at heart,

I think they do  have the club's best interests at heart.

They just don't have a fekin clue how to achieve it though!

They're useless, not malign.  

• Like 2

You can search through my posts and see how much I've defended them but they've finally gone too far and made it clear that the fans mean nothing to them. 

They're beyond redemption at this point short of rehiring Pearson which we all know isn't going to happen. 

I've had enough of them at this point, Jon's statement was straight up insulting and felt like he was taking the fans for mugs, saying how we can hate him but we'll still be at the match cheering the squad on meaning he doesn't care how we feel so long as we do what he wants. 

Even Tinnion sounds like a shill now, he's getting his promotions, he's kissing the right arses and so he's happy. 

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

52 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Fair enough, don’t follow it.

My point Nick is really this;

If you’re Hank Kingsley from Moose Jaw Utah & you’re now looking to buy an English “soccer” club, you don’t want the complication of purchasing a multi sport organisation, especially if one of them (“what the hell is rugby”) is completely alien to you, do you?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, don’t follow it.

My point Nick is really this;

If you’re Hank Kingsley from Moose Jaw Utah & you’re now looking to buy an English “soccer” club, you don’t want the complication of purchasing a multi sport organisation, especially if one of them (“what the hell is rugby”) is completely alien to you, do you?

Isn’t it the case though that if you’re from Moose Jaw Utah then you’re much more familiar with the concept of a multi-sport concern like Bristol Sport?

And that genuinely is a question: I’m not sure, but just have a feeling I’ve read that in the past. (Jon Lansdown will know!) 

29 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The funny thing is, if we win both of our next two games, which are perfectly winnable, many would calm down. (Don’t get me wrong I’d have Pearson back in a heartbeat) 

However if we don’t win on Saturday and then god forbid get beaten by an awful QPR side with a sold out away following there will be an even greater meltdown !

Who on earth would want to become manager here? Most new managers come into a situation where the supporters have had enough of the previous manager not this. 

The new bloke has his back up against the wall from day one, particularly if it comes out that discussions started while Pearson was still here!!

ugh 

Do you know what?  I don’t want any of this - appoint them on Friday night, watch from the stands on Saturday, whilst Fleming has to take control.  I never understand this approach.

If you’re appointed on Friday, get in the effing “dugout” (tech area) and start to influence.  Put your cock on the block from day one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Option 5 - Win football matches.

Win games and sadly most will forget about things like corporate governance, fan communication, and principles of good management.

My plea is to please not forget about those things if by some miracle we ever find ourselves in the top 6.

This is one of my concerns/frustrations.

We win a few games against easier opposition (as we have coming up) and get a few players back from injury. We climb the table slightly in doing so. Suddenly it's - "In fairness, we've looked better since Manager X has come in". "Well, we were 15th when Pearson was fired, and now we're 12th, so maybe the board made the right decision".

I can already see Ryan Dilks saying "I told you so" re Nige because we manage to pick up 6 points against Sheffield Wednesday and QPR.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

17 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Isn’t it the case though that if you’re from Moose Jaw Utah then you’re much more familiar with the concept of a multi-sport concern like Bristol Sport?

And that genuinely is a question: I’m not sure, but just have a feeling I’ve read that in the past. (Jon Lansdown will know!) 

Genuine question.

Is this a thing in the States?

Aren’t Basketball, American Football & Baseball (their 3 major sports) kept pretty distinct from an ownership perspective?

The point I was making re rugby is it really isn’t a “thing” over there, so might be part of the reason SL seemingly can’t sell.