IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. 
I’ve watched a number of championship teams this season who are streets ahead of us in terms of their style, their quality, their pace, their technicality. We are way behind a number of teams. We are being competitive because we have players with a fair bit of grit, determination, energy. But the way some other teams play - we are way off that still. 

Watching us Saturday made me think we're just a team full of runners. There's very little guile about us which is why we don't score many goals. We'll run and run all day, we're all effort, not much quality though. Last season we at least had Alex Scott to sprinkle some quality, but without him?

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The worrying thing for me is I left Saturday's game thinking if that is what they expect to get promoted then they are in cuckoo land.

Compare the quality of Friday night's game between Leicester and Leeds and it was chalk and cheese.

Compare the quality of player in the squads of Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, WBA, and thats just four who will finish above us. Add in Ipswich who, whilst not having better players, are playing out of their skin and it realistically leaves one place for the playoffs.

And these people that purport to run this club think we should get promotion this season with this squad lacking quality and depth ? Its bullshit.

I think the Lansdowns are desperate for promotion to make a sale of the club more attractive and more lucrative and I think they'll chuck money at it in January.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

In normal situations I’d agree, but I think we’ll see the Lansdowns takiing the full wrath of the fans if this all goes tits up, due to their actions last week.

Maybe, but Steve will be in Guernsey, Jon will be in America, and the manager will be the one stood on the touchline at Ashton Gate!

I just don't think that's how it works: we've had owners make far more ridiculous statements (and just to be clear I think it was a ridiculous statement) - things like Europe in 5 years. And it’s always been the manager that's carried the can.

And one reason that's why it works that way is because OTIB isn't a true reflection of the majority of fans. I know that's been discussed elsewhere, but Saturday just confirmed that for me. I deliberately asked people I know are regular fans but not on here, I listened in on conversations in the concourse. There simply wasn't the anger, even the surprise, that there is on here. For the most part it was indifference or resignation: the strongest views I heard (twice) were support for the decision because 'the football I've been watching the last two years has been terrible'.

Most fans don't pore over spreadsheets and heat maps and tactics and FFP rules and accounts. Even if they take in statements from the club they are become yesterdays chip wrappers, or whatever the saying is! They just look at the guy on the touchline!

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. 
I’ve watched a number of championship teams this season who are streets ahead of us in terms of their style, their quality, their pace, their technicality. We are way behind a number of teams. We are being competitive because we have players with a fair bit of grit, determination, energy. But the way some other teams play - we are way off that still. 

Coaching.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Compare the quality of player in the squads of Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, WBA, and thats just four who will finish above us. Add in Ipswich who, whilst not having better players, are playing out of their skin and it realistically leaves one place for the playoffs.

And these people that purport to run this club think we should get promotion this season with this squad lacking quality and depth ? Its bullshit.

I think the Lansdowns are desperate for promotion to make a sale of the club more attractive and more lucrative and I think they'll chuck money at it in January.

Why would they want to get promoted then sell the club? It will be the most profitable period in the clubs history 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Watching us Saturday made me think we're just a team full of runners. There's very little guile about us which is why we don't score many goals. We'll run and run all day, we're all effort, not much quality though. Last season we at least had Alex Scott to sprinkle some quality, but without him?

but but but... thats Nigel's team!

I'm being flippant of course. What I will say is my views definitely started to change after the Ipswich game. Ipswich have someone in charge for 18 months to 2 years who has imprinted a style of football which is fast, exciting and attacking. 

Home performances are no different than they have been for 5 or 6 years, you have to go back to Juniors 1st two seasons for the last time we've won double figure home games and no I certainly don't want him back

5 minutes ago, prankerd said:

Why would they want to get promoted then sell the club? It will be the most profitable period in the clubs history 

Because they want out and being profitable and in the Prem, with all the associated benefits, will make us much more attractive and sellable.   

21 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Coaching

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Maybe, but Steve will be in Guernsey, Jon will be in America, and the manager will be the one stood on the touchline at Ashton Gate!

I just don't think that's how it works: we've had owners make far more ridiculous statements (and just tone clear I think it was a ridiculous statement) - things like Europe in 5 years. And its always been the manager that's carried the can.

And one reason that's why it works that way is because OTIB isn't a true reflection of the majority of fans. I know that's been discussed elsewhere, but Saturday just confirmed that for me. I deliberately asked people I know are regular fans but not on here, I listened in on conversations in the concourse. There simply wasn't the anger, even the surprise, that there is on here. For the most part it was indifference or resignation: the strongest views I heard (twice) were support for the decision because 'the football I've been watching the last two years has been terrible'.

Most fans don't pore over spreadsheets and heat maps and tactics and FFP rules and accounts. Even if they take in statements from the club they are become yesterdays chip wrappers, or whatever the saying is! They just look at the guy on the touchline!

Fair play and could well be right, but it just feels different to me this time.

It’s a fair point about the difference between the general support and the people on this board though.  I think forum members are more interested and generally better informed on what’s happening within the club, whilst some supporters only care about what’s happening on the pitch and take no further interest in the club in general.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, 2015 said:

A very simple, but very effective summary.  I’d add that at times we are young / inexperienced / not “game-mature”, which when you look at Alex Scott, he had all three, probably from the moment he made his debut.

FWIW, one of the attributes Nige wanted was runners because he identified that to play in the PL you need to be able to run.  It’s one of the key parts of the recruitment plan, hence Sykes, Knight, McCrorie types coming in.  Once you’ve got that, you can start adding “guile” (to use your word).  Shame we haven’t seen McCrorie.

Whether he was naive to think Scott might stay is open to debate, but he is a big loss, and has not been replaced.

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

Coaching.

We will get to find out won’t we?  Another week til QPR with Hines, Cisse, Ball, King (?) and Mountain, maybe Fleming (?) doing their stuff.  Hope to see just small percentages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

A very simple, but very effective summary.  I’d add that at times we are young / inexperienced / not “game-mature”, which when you look at Alex Scott, he had all three, probably from the moment he made his debut.

FWIW, one of the attributes Nige wanted was runners because he identified that to play in the PL you need to be able to run.  It’s one of the key parts of the recruitment plan, hence Sykes, Knight, McCrorie types coming in.  Once you’ve got that, you can start adding “guile” (to use your word).  Shame we haven’t seen McCrorie.

Whether he was naive to think Scott might stay is open to debate, but he is a big loss, and has not been replaced.

We will get to find out won’t we?  Another week til QPR with Hines, Cisse, Ball, King (?) and Mountain, maybe Fleming (?) doing their stuff.  Hope to see just small percentages.

I think Saturday showed just how much we miss Scott, we desperately need a player in there who can push forward quickly, and spot an early forward pass. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

Despite the noises coming from Oxford, I've got a really bad feeling this bloke is going to get the job. 

From NP to someone who got sacked from MK Dons and manages a team in League one. How depressing. The boys will be doing cartwheels of joy up at the HPC when they get told.

I'm personally not against Mannning getting the job - I'm going to back him, if its him.

But if we struggle, this season or next, Its the Lansdowns fault and i'll be calling for their head, not the managers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If it was just this forum I think it would hold water.

The general reaction on wider social media is unlike any I've seen since I started supporting. It's new ground for us, the next appointment needs to be excellent and or a clear and obvious upgrade IMO.

Of course you are right Mr P.

Nobody and I mean nobody is going to convince me that Liam Manning is the right man for the job or anywhere near being an upgrade.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I think Saturday showed just how much we miss Scott, we desperately need a player in there who can push forward quickly, and spot an early forward pass. 

Scott is missed in so many ways.

Passing- ✅

Speed of thought- ✅

Ability to carry- ✅

Ability to win free kicks in either half, thereby relieving some pressure in our half or helping to build some in the opposition half- ✅

Think he may have added a few goals too this season.

Some of our players have some of these traits but he had them all.

Midfield and side as a whole would look rather different with a fit and firing Scott and Naismith in it IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

Just now, Ghost Rider said:

Did he actually say that? Where? Wasn’t it a rumour that BT said that? 

No he didn't say that but someone said he did and everyone was only too happy to believe it.

Both BT& JLK stated that they believe that BCFC should be fighting at the top end of the table with the this squad but did not go as far as they "expected/demanded " promotion as has been falsely reported as fact on here.

JL did say that " Promotion is the aim or what's the point" but he didn't say this season specifically. Nige also said promotion was the aim. What else should they say ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, there were some obvious (and not so) tweaks on Saturday, definitely liked the more box/square midfield shape and more proactive approach. The sending off affected that though, it seemed to me ?

I do think someone in Mannings mould could affect positive changes quite quickly.

• Like 1

Just now, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The only person who's said inspiring or exciting? appointment is our resident manager himself Ian Gay.

Didn't a poster come on here and write that they'd spoken to him at the game and Tins wouldn't give any names but just said it's an exciting one

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, 2015 said:

That was what NP and Dave Rennie wanted, a team that could out run everyone.