IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If you watched the Rotherham game and thought we did okay then I’m astounded!

Just adding to the debate that sometimes it can be useful to look at City’s performance relative to the opposition on the day.

E.g. We weren’t good v Rotherham, but “our bad” was better than “their bad”.  In the same way we played well in parts v Ipswich but not quite good enough against their well.

If that makes sense?

There will be games where both teams “slug” it out in a game lacking in quality, and the opposite too where both teams play well.

Just another way of looking at it…and it’s all subjective anyway.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just adding to the debate that sometimes it can be useful to look at City’s performance relative to the opposition on the day.

E.g. We weren’t good v Rotherham, but “our bad” was better than “their bad”.  In the same way we played well in parts v Ipswich but not quite good enough against their well.

If that makes sense?

There will be games where both teams “slug” it out in a game lacking in quality, and the opposite too where both teams play well.

Just another way of looking at it…and it’s all subjective anyway.

I don’t think one can excuse a performance like that just because the opposition was awful.  We could barely string 3 passes together 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t think one can excuse a performance like that just because the opposition was awful.  We could barely string 3 passes together 

Yet we’ve seen that sometimes there is cause and effect, opposition playing frantically with and without the ball, etc.  

Its not an excuse per se, just that different opponents mean different types of games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

The beauty of football is you never really know.  Under Pearson we weren’t good enough for top six. Will we be under Manning?  Doubtful but nobody can know.  Sometimes a new manager can drastically change results….for better or worse.  Nobody had Ipswich as a top 3 side really. Their fans didn’t either.  On paper they are a mid table side at best.  

Not arguing with that and like you say Manning could take us on run we aren’t expecting BUT if Manning came out and said he “expected” a top 6 finish I would judge him the same level of delusion as the two running it.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I think I got Ipswich and Coventry mixed up!  Play off form (as in performances) certainly doesn’t mean playing badly for 6 games out of 16. We clearly are never going to agree on what constitutes playing badly.  If you watched the Rotherham game and thought we did okay then I’m astounded!

But we got the win and that's what matters. 

The point I'm trying to make is that the teams that secure 5th and 6th, have most likely won games they shouldn't have, played badly at times and have been inconsistent. Coventry lost 4 nil at home to Stoke towards the end of last season for example. In the past two years I don't think we've been that bad? 

In 2007/2008 when we got to the final, I certainly remember us not playing well at times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I think I got Ipswich and Coventry mixed up!  Play off form (as in performances) certainly doesn’t mean playing badly for 6 games out of 16. We clearly are never going to agree on what constitutes playing badly.  If you watched the Rotherham game and thought we did okay then I’m astounded!

If you swap out Cov for Ipswich we still picked up seven points in those six games which suggests we’ll be ok overall because we don’t need to play particularly well to pick up points but certainly not anything to suggest we’ll worry the top 6.