IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Do any stations have any figures that show how long it took Manning to make an impression at Oxford?

He does do a brilliant Hitler impression but that went down like a led balloon during his first press conference.

Edited by Henry
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Henry said:

Jim White ‘is the aim the play offs?’

Liam Manning ‘Doesn’t have to be…waffle waffle waffle’

So 'top end' doesn't mean top 6 then? Is this the official line or has he gone off script? Will somebody ever ask Jon in particular what the hell it does mean?

Watch this space.

A Doctor writes: Do not hold your breath waiting for an answer it may be bad for your health. Much like Bristol City.

38 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Didn't Gavin Marshall say Pearson was sacked because it looked like he couldn't deliver promotion this season.

And it's clear Manning's been told he doesn't have to. 

Double standards.

Not that we're surprised. 

Noting we couldn’t have guessed tbh. I don’t think Manning would have touched the job if promotion this season was the criteria. Why get sacked in 6 months for not delivering unrealistic criteria when he could sit at Oxford and take a different job in time? Still a few on here wanting to judge Manning on play offs this season when it’s not even his target!!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Noting we couldn’t have guessed tbh. I don’t think Manning would have touched the job if promotion this season was the criteria. Why get sacked in 6 months for not delivering unrealistic criteria when he could sit at Oxford and take a different job in time? Still a few on here wanting to judge Manning on play offs this season when it’s not even his target!!

This is where a football club will not be transparent, nor will they likely have true objectives and measures for those objectives.

It frustrates me.

The aim is promotion…yep, nice.  But what are the measures of success against that?  What constitutes Manning doing “okay” and retaining his job?  It sure ain’t “promotion”.  JL has already said something to that affect.

But of course if he comes out and says we want Liam to push us into the top-half and impose our style…then the first bit contradicts why they got rid of Pearson.  The style bit is subjective of course.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is where a football club will not be transparent, nor will they likely have true objectives and measures for those objectives.

It frustrates me.

The aim is promotion…yep, nice.  But what are the measures of success against that?  What constitutes Manning doing “okay” and retaining his job?  It sure ain’t “promotion”.  JL has already said something to that affect.

But of course if he comes out and says we want Liam to push us into the top-half and impose our style…then the first bit contradicts why they got rid of Pearson.  The style bit is subjective of course.

Maybe they wanted the end result of top half but a new style as well, ie great work and thank you for all you've done NP but we're not sure about Point 2.

Still no justification for the sacking at this time, in this way though.

I'm speculating as we all are, but their stated goals didn't seem to be to put it politely didn't seem to be aligned with where we are atm. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So the club sacked Pearson to "give us the best possible chance of promotion this season" 

Manning says play offs doesn't have to be the the objective. 

For someone that talks about alignment a hell of a lot, us and him don't seem to be aligned on this.

:facepalm:  lets hope Steve and Jon weren't listening this morning then!

LM's definitely giving off a bit of a SOD vibe whenever I hear him speak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henry said:

Jim White ‘is the aim the play offs?’

Liam Manning ‘Doesn’t have to be…waffle waffle waffle’

What was the waffle? Doesn’t have to be 🤔 Of course it should be the aim and he wouldn’t have lost any credibility by saying so. Strange. 

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

What was the waffle? Doesn’t have to be 🤔 Of course it should be the aim and he wouldn’t have lost any credibility by saying so. Strange. 

I'm quite annoyed hearing him say that. 

He's been brought in here to get us promotion so of course it should be the bloody aim. 

Or is this yet again another project we are embarking on that's going to take 2-3 years? 

I'm sorry but Pearson was clear that the play offs were the objective this season. If you're a player and you hear your boss say you don't have to meet your objectives this season then that's very unlikely to drive high standards. It allows for complacency. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But surely we have maxed out our wage budget hence Nigel not being allowed any further signings?

Surely it must be crystal clear to everyone by now that they were closing Pearson into a scenario where he didn’t meet expectations

as , at that point , he’d either upset SL , or more likely JL or BT with some straight talking or comments to them

or......

Not enamoured any more by NP , ‘someone’  at the Club had gazed starry eyes , and a ‘vision’ , at LM , and was fuelling a plan

NP was actually sacked over a period , tie his hands and legs , keep the same pressure and demands and hey presto........

The injury crisis must have been a golden egg in their eyes

• Like 9
  • Flames 5

Given all the moans I’m seeing who is going to stick their head above the parapet and say that our current squad is promotion chasing quality?

Forget what Laurel and ******* Hardy said who on here having seen us play this season genuinely thinks we’re a top 6 outfit? Fair play if you do but you haven’t been watching the same squad as I have that’s for sure.

Nobody in their right mind, with our squad, would guarantee or even suggest a play off push. Each one of the strongest sides we’ve played so far has BEATEN us. What does that tell you?

• Like 3

I don't think we are top 6 standard but maybe with a fair wind, excellent luck with injuries and a fairer share of penalties 5th or 6th place don't look that nailed down.

Would we get in? Not likely, a tilt for a period? Maybe.

The number of injured per game, mostly fully fit maybe a tilt at the lower end of the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Henry said:

Did you listen?

No. Hence the question of what was actually said?

@Numero Uno If we don’t aim for the play offs, what’s the actual point? Don’t get me wrong I don’t expect it, but bar three or four teams I think most are very competitive. I think Nige team beats QPR, and with all our injury issues that would if put us two points off them? 

None of this is a dig at LM by the way. I’m fully behind him. Just a strange comment to say it’s not the aim. ( If he in fact did say that, I missed it) 

Edited by Jose

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Given all the moans I’m seeing who is going to stick their head above the parapet and say that our current squad is promotion chasing quality?

Forget what Laurel and ******* Hardy said who on here having seen us play this season genuinely thinks we’re a top 6 outfit? Fair play if you do but you haven’t been watching the same squad as I have that’s for sure.

Nobody in their right mind, with our squad, would guarantee or even suggest a play off push. Each one of the strongest sides we’ve played so far has BEATEN us. What does that tell you?

We also have quite a thin squad that has been further hit by injury. Surely any kind of moderate tilt at 5th or 6th would be, have been subject to most of the squad remaining fit for most of the season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous