IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What is there to be amazed by? If you asked 22k city fans a week ago who would be able to come and lead this team to promotion this season I bet not one person would have said Manning! The decision to appoint him seems to be based on him being young. He has no track record to warrant this job. 

It had all the makings of LJ mark 2!

What you say is simply not true. On 29th I posted this topic and said who I’d be happy with. Manning is a good choice 

IMG_3969.png

21 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

So to deconstruct

We're not Man U and a 34 year old comparison doesn't hold sway.

On the pitch until this season, no signs of progression. I've not seen much this season to comment 

What on earth does not being Man Utd have to do with it? It's quite clear what the point was. And I think everyone has seen progression in certain ways on the pitch, so if you haven't, well I don't know what you've been watching.

21 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

There's a myriad of things

Manager not hitting board kpis

Not great on pitch.

Home form shocking

There's a million and one other metrics

So your 'myriad of things' essentially is not hitting board kpi's (which we are all in agreement were ludicrous), and the other ones are basically the same thing. So you don't really have a 'myriad' do you.

As for psychic powers, no I don't, I don't have a gut hunch either. I have an educated guess. In the same way that I could make an educated guess that Guardiola would probably do a better job than I could!

I think you need to rethink your 'myriad of things' and take a step back from how far in you've gone without nuance, because, as everyone else has already realised, the only 'thing' was not being liked by the board.

For what it's worth I'm not complaining that we chose Manning. I'm complaining that we sacked Pearson only to end up with Manning.

All things considered, taking away the fact that we should have Pearson, it's an ok signing. But the fact that we had a decent proven manager before is what causes the underwhelming-ness!

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Red Homer said:

Speaking with "someone" tonight who knows Manning and Hogg very well, said that it looks a done deal (said it was between Manning and Mousinho) and that Manning is exactly what City need at the moment. Couldn't praise his coaching attributes or the job he did/has done at MK and Oxford highly enough. 

Yep. They were the two upcoming rising stars in the English system, if you like, that were possibly attainable. We've managed to get one, not sure who else people were expecting once it was clear we weren't interested in a Rowett, Lampard type.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Seems like this is done with an announcement tomorrow morning likely. 

I'm surprised so many are dismissing Manning. I think given the position we are in and what we are specifically looking for he's a very good fit. He's been coaching since he was 21 and has a decent amount of L1 experience.

Mousinho wasn't going to leave Pompey so Manning made next most sense.

People bemoaning lack of experience should take a look at who Millwall have just appointed. Gotta start somewhere...

It's City, and the structure behind him still gives me a lot of concern, but Manning is a good appointment I reckon and about as good as we could've hoped for. 

Nutshell

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Wage structure, recruitment policy and making use of academy I think is something that pearson helped implement and would be shocked to see the club abandon that 

What did you think of the Holden recruitment out of interest?

42 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But isn't that down to Alex Scott being sold and a replacement not being brought in? 

Also Conway and Wells have been injured. 

Sykes has had to be moved around the team to cover positions. 

We've then had injuries in midfield too.

So with all that in consideration you can understand why we may have not been as attacking.

Partly & that is why the timing surprised me - but we weren't really much better last season, with all those available.

I wasn't in any rush to get rid of NP & appreciated that he was doing dirty work behind the scenes - but I'm not bothered that he has gone either.

I think, on the pitch, we have been utterly underwhelming since he came.

Of course it's a gamble & will be interesting to see what the change will do.

We could go backwards or we could thrive - who knows yet.?!

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep. They were the two upcoming rising stars in the English system, if you like, that were possibly attainable. We've managed to get one, not sure who else people were expecting once it was clear we weren't interested in a Rowett, Lampard type.

Have strong reasons to believe he was spoken to but it was obvious it was going to be Manning or Williams. The point here is we shouldn’t have been expecting anyone, Nigel Pearson should never have been sacked. This is Lansdown and Tinnion last chance saloon! I’ll give the guy a chance but it feels like we are going back in time to 2016 at the Valley. 

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Screenshot_20231106_162025_Samsung Internet.jpg

You use this guy with 85 followers on X to substantiate your blinkered view that MK were correct in sacking the guy we may be recruiting? I think you’ll need to do better than that!

All day you’ve been talking yourself into a hole from which you may never escape. I too was far from happy with the sacking of NP et al, but he’s gone now and he ain’t coming back. If Manning is to be the new appointee then he’ll get my full support because  I support Bristol City - whoever comprises that in that moment of time.

Not that you’ll take my advice but I think that you should to do the same. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 3

23 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What is there to be amazed by? If you asked 22k city fans a week ago who would be able to come and lead this team to promotion this season I bet not one person would have said Manning! The decision to appoint him seems to be based on him being young. He has no track record to warrant this job. 

It had all the makings of LJ mark 2!

The last people to be picking a new Head Coach/Manager for their team is the fans !

Will back him of course but this all feels a little familiar. 

If we had a disaster of a manger before I could be a bit more excited about this.. but all of this for Liam Manning seems very Lansdown.. felt like we’ve been here before and fully expect this to be another chapter of the merry go round .. hope this post get quoted by loads of people when we finish 10 points clear next season of course. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, One Team said:

Indeed and on that basis the decision was made to sack Pearson. 

No it wasn't.  It was done to get control of aspects of the club that they'd ceded to Pearson.  The family wanted their trusted set up of inexperienced head coach with malleable CEO type person who can take the shit for them. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Seems like this is done with an announcement tomorrow morning likely. 

I'm surprised so many are dismissing Manning. I think given the position we are in and what we are specifically looking for he's a very good fit. He's been coaching since he was 21 and has a decent amount of L1 experience.

Mousinho wasn't going to leave Pompey so Manning made next most sense.

People bemoaning lack of experience should take a look at who Millwall have just appointed. Gotta start somewhere...

It's City, and the structure behind him still gives me a lot of concern, but Manning is a good appointment I reckon and about as good as we could've hoped for. 

Clap Applause GIF - Clap Applause - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I don't know why everyone is saying he needs to get promoted this season, John Landsdown will absolutley 100% backtrack on that with more guff about projects and processes and pillars and long term vision 😴😴

And people will lap it up. 

Exactly. And the cycle repeats. Nothing will ever change until the Lansdowns go.

• Like 2