IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

4 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

It's comments like these that prove the point

The board suck, down with the lansdowns etc

Oh, did they hire Nige in the first place?

That's a bit awkward then if they hired a manager some are calling the best ever, but are in the same breadth , useless

Can’t see any contradiction tbh.  Yes, the Lansdowns did hire NP, whether by good luck, or good judgement.

They then show that his appointment was probably by good luck, as they then proceed to **** it all up by sacking him for actually doing the job he was hired to do.

That shows how inept they are at running a football club and that’s got nothing to do with what supporters say

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

This is a great tactic you have used on this thread, presumably you will end up in a situation where you have blocked everyone who has disagreed with you, at that point you will be able to say "well I posted this and no one argued because they all knew I was right". Genius.

My tactic in life is to not debate with people who can't do so without getting personal. 

We all have differing opinions. I hope that my opinion will be completely wrong. 

I don't support my football club with the hope that I'll be proven right.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

My tactic in life is to not debate with people who can't do so without getting personal. 

We all have differing opinions. I hope that my opinion will be completely wrong. 

I don't support my football club with the hope that I'll be proven right.

May I ask, as I don't think I have seen you offer one, what names were you hoping for that would have made you happier?

• Like 1

Just now, mozo said:

I think one of the obvious positives is that Manning has done a lot of work with young players and so would be able to use those skills with our many academy graduates.

Yep, my worry (albeit no problem with it being him, particularly vs some of the names bandied around), is who does the manager role? Seems to have disappeared in the structure, but can’t see BT doing it. Maybe LM has that as well as the coaching, but thought it was key to what NP brought, with CF and JY leading on the coaching. 

34 minutes ago, BarneyCity said:

Much as we can all see how class less our owners have behaved, I’d hazard a guess that not only did they not like having a knowledgeable but challenging manager in post, they’ll be over the moon to have saved another half mill per year by appointing a league one coach. Always gone for the cheapest option - with one exception Nigel Pearson (and surprise surprise he did the job he was asked!

Buy cheap...buy twice....

NP effectively became that monthly subscription that, whilst good quality, seemingly became unpalatable as the progression through the episodes moved too slowly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Yep, my worry (albeit no problem with it being him, particularly vs some of the names bandied around), is who does the manager role? Seems to have disappeared in the structure, but can’t see BT doing it. Maybe LM has that as well as the coaching, but thought it was key to what NP brought, with CF and JY leading on the coaching. 

BT LM NP CF JY

You'd be screwed on Countdown.

20 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

That's a bit awkward then if they hired a manager some are calling the best ever, but are in the same breadth , useless

They hired him to sort out the mess made by their previous shit appointments . A mess which was financial and also on the pitch.

once he’d done all the heavy lifting and got us on an even keel the shithouses sacked him,  denying him the chance to push on.

so yes they do suck.

• Like 16
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Same chair hired Nige and GJ, universally adored.

But a lot of bad appointments as well? Hardly an unbroken record of great recruitment, think fair for people to be sceptical. Still can’t imagine any but the most churlish/stubborn not getting behind LM given he’s leading the team we most want to win. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Did I say the board suck, down with the lansdowns, etc? Don’t think so. What I said is that the Lansdowns with one or two eceptions have not made  good recruitment decisions. They have flip flopped in their recruitment style which has seen us stagnate so many times. They have often made reactive appointments including Pearson, who was basically brought in at times to firefight and steady the ship.

For all the money invested which any fan would agree is admirable and yes grateful, they have essentially failed in their goal. Hence why as fans we feel the frustration when so called smaller teams have leap frogged us over the years. Those teams have often had a good recruitment and planning strategy. SL has struggled to get in the right football people to help him get to the promised land. Bad luck, or bad decision making. You tell me. 

Now, I’m not taking sides here, as I said in an earlier post I really hope that this appointment is a blinding success and would go some way to vindicating the recent decisions and prove that the board have at last started to build and execute a longer term plan. We’ve got no divine right to be successful, we all no it’s a difficult league to get promoted from. But as fans we would love to see our club build a strategy for success in the way that the usual suspects Brighton, Brentford, etc. have done. Okay, not copy them - do it a Bristol City way - but just show us that plan.

I actually think Manning sounds an interesting appointment and will be good to see his take on the squad. End of the day, I want BCFC to get this right. So no this isn’t about anti Lansdown or pro Nige. It’s a genuine observation that despite SL’s huge and much appreciated investment for the club’s infrastructure, however well intended his football management recruitment has often left a lot to be desired. Just maybe and the board might be getting it right with this guy and we all get a successful team and club that we can all get together again.  

• Like 9
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

No one is perfect

If every team picked perfect managers then everyone would win every game

Football means that's impossible, so things change.

Even with the best will it can still eff up. 

No guarantees 

Agree, but that doesn’t equate to pick whoever you fancy and expect to be free from all criticism/challenge. Hindsight is wonderful, but without it LM looks a reasonable appointment, some previous appointments didn’t need hindsight to call them as odd at the time. 

9 minutes ago, ray savino said:

Did I say the board suck, down with the lansdowns, etc? Don’t think so. What I said is that the Lansdowns with one or two eceptions have not made  good recruitment decisions. They have flip flopped in their recruitment style which has seen us stagnate so many times. They have often made reactive appointments including Pearson, who was basically brought in at times to firefight and steady the ship.

For all the money invested which any fan would agree is admirable and yes grateful, they have essentially failed in their goal. Hence why as fans we feel the frustration when so called smaller teams have leap frogged us over the years. Those teams have often had a good recruitment and planning strategy. SL has struggled to get in the right football people to help him get to the promised land. Bad luck, or bad decision making. You tell me. 

Now, I’m not taking sides here, as I said in an earlier post I really hope that this appointment is a blinding success and would go some way to vindicating the recent decisions and prove that the board have at last started to build and execute a longer term plan. We’ve got no divine right to be successful, we all no it’s a difficult league to get promoted from. But as fans we would love to see our club build a strategy for success in the way that the usual suspects Brighton, Brentford, etc. have done. Okay, not copy them - do it a Bristol City way - but just show us that plan.

I actually think Manning sounds an interesting appointment and will be good to see his take on the squad. End of the day, I want BCFC to get this right. So no this isn’t about anti Lansdown or pro Nige. It’s a genuine observation that despite SL’s huge and much appreciated investment for the club’s infrastructure, however well intended his football management recruitment has often left a lot to be desired. Just maybe and the board might be getting it right with this guy and we all get a successful team and club that we can all get together again.  

We know what his take on the squad will be, as we have been here so many times under SL, ie the squad isn’t fit enough, some of the squad are not pulling their weight, the squad is lacking a style of play and round we go again

14 minutes ago, The Coach said:

At least he’s experienced League One. We might be there sooner than we thought…

Sign enough players from there and a management team, plus the fact Tinnion played one season at Champ level for us then yes, we are set up well for it. I hope Manning does well, but what a bad taste the past week or so has been. Club have lost some really good football people, such a waste.  Cost of change could have better spent in the August window. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Well I’m slightly concerned on hearing he favours playing with 3 CB’s given we have four and three of them were injured this time last week 🤣

I thought he favours 4 at the back but has played 3 on occasion ?

Could be wrong.

Listening to several media items on him, he doesn't seem stuck on a formation tbf.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

In fairness, if some of the things said are meant to be taken figuratively, there’s very little point them saying anything. 

What I mean is . It was said by a bloke under pressure that’s not good at public speaking . He’ll soon backtrack on it if anyone ever asks which they won’t on North Korea tv 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Well I’m slightly concerned on hearing he favours playing with 3 CB’s given we have four and three of them were injured this time last week 🤣

Thankfully he’s managed most of his Oxford games with a back four!

16 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We know what his take on the squad will be, as we have been here so many times under SL, ie the squad isn’t fit enough, some of the squad are not pulling their weight, the squad is lacking a style of play and round we go again

Two weeks ago I wrote that there’s one thing a new manager wouldn’t be able to claim and that’s poor fitness on the squad.  It’s the often trotted out new manager claim - “well, I had to get them fit first”.

😮😮😮😮😮

This side was fit, there is no doubt of that.

But both Chairman and Technical Director have sewn those seeds, which is pretty disrespectful to Rennie, but also all the medical / physio / sports science team that remain.  To hear JL talk about it I found as crass as his dad’s recent repertoire of crass statements.  I’m glad Fleming used his pre-match interview to say they’ve been taking that approach to the last 5-6 international breaks.

There is a big difference between fitness and injuries, and in particular the types we’ve had.

A low blow, one taken after bell had sounded.

Don’t let me down Liam!

• Like 4

I didn’t want Pearson to go but as others have said he had gone now so we have to move on. I hadn’t heard of Manning until a couple of days ago but having read/watched some of the stuff on here and elsewhere, he clearly fits the bill in terms of what the Lansdowns are looking for so at least they are being consistent (for once). I’ve quite liked the look of what I have seen so far. To be honest none of the other names floating around in the betting have floated my boat particularly. So I’m happy to wish him all the best and I hope it goes well - could be exciting if it does. And just because he happens to be young doesn’t mean he is another McInnes or LJ or Holden. He is Liam Manning with a completely different background and experience. I also don’t buy the view that bringing in a league one head coach is beneath us - if he’s a good coach, he’s a good coach. I see it no different to bringing in a young league one (or lower) player and we’ve seen what they can do - they are not beneath us either.

• Like 10

As others have said, all Bristol City fans will want Manning to be a great success. I have to say I have my doubts and I was very disappointed and frustrated when Pearson was dismissed. I will back Manning 100%, but I fear that the fans will turn quickly if we start to drop down the division as the wounds of letting Nigel go will take a long time to heal. For his and Lansdown's sake, I hope we get positive results and quickly.

• Like 4