IGNORED

Christmas Markets

Markman

Never done one abroad - retired now so have the chance to take Mrs Markman - not loads of money stuff - prob easy jet from Bristol - any good ideas - was thinking Prague but bit worried we will meet hens and stags and looking for a quietish sort of place - Hotel near wherever the Markets are!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Markman said:

Know a nice Hotel? Vienna sounds good

1 hour ago, East Londoner said:

I’m doing the one in Vienna in a couple of weeks 

Vienna is an absolutely wonderful city and, Christmas market or not, you are sure to have a wonderful time.

If you can find a flight, however, and should a Christmas market be your main criterion, try to get to Nuremburg in Bavaria (think flight to Munich or even Frankfurt) or even Dresden, in what was formerly East Germany.

I have been to both, and they are truly excellent - Dresden was extremely cold, however, so a few Schnapps were necessary, whilst in Nuremburg you will be able to enjoy their wonderful Lebkuchen amongst other delights.

Oblaten Lebkuchen, Chocolate-coated & Glazed, Organic, AS Premium (200g)

• Like 2

Did Bruges a few years back . 
Went on the Eurostar, so one change at Brussels.  Lot of Tat in the market obviously, but lovely City when you get off the main Square.

Croatia was recommended to us by an Eastern European guy when we were on holiday. Just seen it's been voted best Market for the 3rd year running. Not sure if you can fly to Zagreb direct from Bristol though.

• Admin
2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Of the localish ones in the UK I've always found Exeter to be the best one, really nice vibe to it next to the cathedral.

I was going to ask where people thought around the area

Was thinking of a day out from Weston (by train), was looking at Bath, Cardiff or Exeter

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was thinking of a day out from Weston (by train), was looking at Bath, Cardiff or Exeter

Not been to the Cardiff one, but Bath is horrendous at certain times/days. 

Shoulder to shoulder literally struggling to move when I've been previously, just pointless.

• Thanks 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Not been to the Cardiff one, but Bath is horrendous at certain times/days. 

Shoulder to shoulder literally struggling to move when I've been previously, just pointless.

I had heard Bath was a nightmare at the station afterwards

• Like 1

Bath is FAR too crowded. Would avoid on weekends. Winchester has a nice market next to the Cathedral, and it's not full of the normal crap you get (if I see black bomber at one more market...). 

I'm off to Milan Christmas Market in a couple of weeks, and seeing AC Milan at same time.

@Markman I'd not worry about stag do's in Prague, they will be in Irish bars, not Christmas markets. Gorgeous City, similar to Budapest.

• Like 1

One place I would certainly recommend to avoid is Paris, at the lower end of the Champs Élysées, just up from Place de la Concorde.

It is full of stalls run by the same people who operate the fairgrounds in the summer, selling overpriced candy floss, sugar coated and plastic wrapped lollipops and the like together with cheap to manufacture plastic toys and general crap.

Probably the worst and most disappointing Christmas market I have ever had the misfortune to visit.

Oh, and also rife with pickpockets.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

One place I would certainly recommend to avoid is Paris, at the lower end of the Champs Élysées, just up from Place de la Concorde.

It is full of stalls run by the same people who operate the fairgrounds in the summer, selling overpriced candy floss, sugar coated and plastic wrapped lollipops and the like together with cheap to manufacture plastic toys and general crap.

Probably the worst and most disappointing Christmas market I have ever had the misfortune to visit.

Oh, and also rife with pickpockets.

I wouldn't advise any of the French "Christmas markets". Most are as PHILINFRANCE states above!

The general consensus appears to be that that the Germanic markets are better, and they are certainy taken more seriously in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and even Luxembourg, as witnessed by the genuine products on sale, both food/drinks and gifts.

I have visited markets in three of the countries mentioned, the exception being Switzerland, and they are all quite quaint, with obviously some being better than others.

By chance, I shall be off to Alsace (which still retains many links to Germany) for a long weekend in a couple of weeks time, and shall very likely take the opportunity to visit the Christmas market in Srasbourg once more, but also Obernai. 

On 08/11/2023 at 10:47, phantom said:

Bath markets are OK but go in the week, weekends are horrendous, bit like a Rovers away game...thousands there.

On 08/11/2023 at 08:42, OneTeamInBristol said:

Of the localish ones in the UK I've always found Exeter to be the best one, really nice vibe to it next to the cathedral.

I like the Exeter one but it always gets a bit rammed on busy days and you can`t really stop to look at anything due to the crush behind you. The walkways need to be wider IMO.

• Like 1