IGNORED

More advantages for relegated clubs!

cheese

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Better hope we don't go up then.

Why?

It doesn’t matter what I “hope”, we either will or won’t.

The money will be nice but I’m not sure the experience will be great.

Things seem to have changed a lot since 2008, it seemed more equal & interesting back then.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Why?

It doesn’t matter what I “hope”, we either will or won’t.

The money will be nice but I’m not sure the experience will be great.

Things seem to have changed a lot since 2008, it seemed more equal & interesting back then.

The experience would be great. At least we would actually have achieved something.

1 minute ago, Super said:

The experience would be great. At least we would actually have achieved something.

Doesn’t that depend on how the season actually went?

Say we only got 11 points in total like Derby did, by February we’d already be nailed on certs to go back down & I’d expect the vast majority would be totally hacked off & couldn’t wait for it to end?

If we were still in with a chance of survival then I think you’re right, but I don’t think it would be “great” in every potential scenario.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Say we only got 11 points in total like Derby did, by February we’d already be nailed on certs to go back down & I’d expect the vast majority would be totally hacked off & couldn’t wait for it to end?

If we were still in with a chance of survival then I think you’re right, but I don’t think it would be “great” in every potential scenario.

Well that's the worst case scenario. Of course it would be tough and a real challenge but it's not impossible. We might even lose the serial under achiever tag!

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'd love us to go up but I do suspect the reality would be watching the team lose far more often than we won and potentially not watching at all. Due to geography, it's not practical for me to have a season ticket and I get to far more away games than home games. I can very easily see a scenario where I find it impossible to get away tickets and, on the rare occasions I do, spending a lot more money to watch us lose,

Brentford and Brighton especially have bucked the trend somewhat but yes a lot who go up slump into midtable or below. Both of them are a smaller and similar profile to us historically. Albeit Bloom poured a lot in, mix of team and infrastructure.

It is incredibly difficult though and the amount of cash flowing..owner input is insane. Check Fulham Football Leisure Cash Flow and equity from 2014-15 to 2021-22 for one decent PL season, yoyoing ie top end Championship, bottom end PL and despite Parachute Payments or PL cash from 2001-02 to present.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Over an entire season, I perhaps share your view that it is probably more enjoyable to be winning in the Championship most weeks and pushing for a play off place or even promotion.

Nevertheless, in a season in which we lost more games than we won; the build up to our match away to Coventry, the actual match and, obviously, the result itself were probably one of the most exciting times of watching and supporting City I can remember - I also went to Leeds, but seem to recall I was strangely quiet during that match 😉.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

No, not bothered.

Seen us in the top flight before & no confidence we would spend money wisely in the increasingly unlikely prospect we get there in my lifetime.

Really enjoy watching Championship football, doesn’t bother me at all.

The 75/76 campaign was my first, as a 7 year-old season ticket holder, followed by the four years in the top flight.

It'd be nice to get back there again - one day.

• Robin 1

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It’s obvious they don’t really want a “contest” just the same yo yo clubs whilst those above this stay there in perpetuity.

Don’t have any interest in watching the Prem anymore, it bores me to tears, but virtually eliminating the possibility of getting there sort of defeats the point of the game.

Me neither. Haven’t watched MOTD for about three years. Just not interested….

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Over an entire season, I perhaps share your view that it is probably more enjoyable to be winning in the Championship most weeks and pushing for a play off place or even promotion.

Neverthelessin a season in which we lost more games than we won; the build up to our match away to Coventry, the actual match and, obviously, the result itself were probably one of the most exciting times of watching and supporting City I can remember - I also went to Leeds, but seem to recall I was strangely quiet during that match 😉.

Sometimes the chase is more enjoyable than the catch. 

I wonder if the Burnley fans are fed up already.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Sometimes the chase is more enjoyable than the catch. 

I wonder if the Burnley fans are fed up already.

My hunch is more like totally baffled.

They stormed our division last season but Kompany then decided for reasons best known to himself to completely rip that squad up & add at least a dozen new players.

Thus far it looks a very odd decision & their results have been terrible.

The only reason they probably aren’t fed up yet is because effectively they are now in a 4 team competition for one spot to stay up, with the 2 other promoted sides (!) & Bournemouth.

Doubt they expected to be below Luton & no better off than Sheff U though.