IGNORED

Good Article on Manning - Oxford and MK Fans

Silvio Dante

Features George Elek from NTTT which is always a good sign.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/liam-mannings-lessons-mk-dons-8897745

Few notable points:

- MK point to that a player Manning signed who he wanted wasn’t  necessarily a great signing

- Echo of the press conference about going Academy first

- Appears to be viewed as adaptable depending on what he has

- Improved both old and young players

- I really want to sign McGuane based on that - @Spreadsheet Boy any data?

- Oxford fan feels we’re unlikely to get playoffs this season but positive over 18 months 

Well worth a read

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As for McGuane last season:

IMG_8979.thumb.jpeg.ad0ca96768c4fd67dda0c8ed6af9a845.jpeg

Ive added some red crosses against some of the attributes I see as important for a DM, and he generally scores very well in them compared to his Lg1 CM peers.  He also appears to have strings to his bow too.

I thought he was very good in the pre season friendly, he stood out for Oxford.

But I was on hols for the cup match.

What’s your view Silvio?

These were produced by my side-kick - Visualisation-Girl.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Ive added some red crosses against some of the attributes I see as important for a DM, and he generally scores very well in them compared to his Lg1 CM peers.  He also appears to have strings to his bow too.

What’s your view Silvio?

Contract runs out at end of the season. Although they may hold an option to renew for a year. Be very surprised if we didn’t show interest. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

What’s your view Silvio?

I’ve only seen him in that cup game, and as I’ve said prior, it wasn’t really a 5-1 game (certainly first half) and I thought Oxford looked strong in CM.

For me, he fits the profile - still relatively young, good experience at level below and then you also add in his history. I like the recommendation from Elek as well.

Will have to do some more looking but seems to make sense to me.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ve only seen him in that cup game, and as I’ve said prior, it wasn’t really a 5-1 game (certainly first half) and I thought Oxford looked strong in CM.

For me, he fits the profile - still relatively young, good experience at level below and then you also add in his history. I like the recommendation from Elek as well.

Will have to do some more looking but seems to make sense to me.

Who did George recommend?

Unless and until we keep hold of players, develop and hold for one year longer than their stand out season,  it’s all a little moot isn’t it?

You can sign all the Szmodics, Eisa’s and Mehmeti’s as possible, but unless you go and stick with them it’s a little ‘meh’. We have kissed a lot of frogs  

Albert, Nicky Maynard, Boom McCombe were a bit of a one-off in that they came in and settled. But I’m not sure our record of trying to cherry pick from below is actually that good.

If you’ve come into the academy and had a pathway we do have quite a strong record - the odd Bakinson aside - but it’s high time I think we stop looking at potential in lower leagues but look for players with Championship experience who, maybe, underperform but can fit our system and become the better for ‘sum-of-all-parts’. 

I think for a few years our focus has been too much on player trading as opposed to game ready.

Jason Knight could be one of the exceptions that makes this view bollards - although he had championship experience. But I’d rather look at players at the lower end of our own league who could do better in new surroundings (Dickie). 

Edited by 38MC

Just been catching up on a few Oxford games on ifollow. I’d already seen them vs Fleetwood a couple of weeks ago but managed to just watch the victories over Charlton & Exeter. I also watched the away win at Lincoln last week. 

One thing is for sure, midfield dominance is what it’s about. 
McGuane & Brannigan made a great partnership. 
I saw Oxford a few times last season and they were terrible. McGuane also looked very average. 
The transformation under Manning is incredible. 

These 2 CM’s work so well together. Neither of them sit deep. They work off each other - old school - if one goes one stays. But they play close together, meaning once they nick the ball they play quick short passes to each other to play themselves out. 
Both carry the ball well too. McGuane in particular - he has a bit of a gliding style when dribbling (a bit similar to Loftus Cheek). 
They are so quick about the pitch too (honestly, not gonna lie, our CM combo of James/Williams is very slow, so to see these 2 hussling and scurrying in quick time is refreshing in comparison). 

The midfield 2 though are very well complimented by 2 hard working wingers (or wide strikers if he’s playing 3 up) and by Rodrigues who plays as a 10 but drops back into CM if he sees one of McGuane or Brannigan out of position. He’s a bloody clever looking player for sure. 

Overall, the central midfield is where Oxford are getting their success. Dominance, drive, strength, energy, guile, composure, grit. Those 2 have got it and they work with each other so well too. 

Special mention though to Elliot Moore, who I’ve always liked. He’s still putting in bloody solid performances. 

Of the 4 Oxford games I’ve now seen this season, I really like how Manning had them playing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

So, might we be seeing an interesting transfer window in January?

I think so. 
We have James, Williams & King out of contract this season. That’s 3 of our 4 currently owned central midfielders (Knight the other, not counting TGH as he’s not ours yet). 

I think it’s the first place Manning will want to look at. Particularly given the way everything ticks through the midfield at his Oxford team. 

Dare I say, this position could (and perhaps should) be one that they strengthen in January (as per the comments of “if there’s anything we can bring forward from the summer”). 

• Like 1