IGNORED

Manning first Pre game

Mr Popodopolous

On 24/11/2023 at 07:26, One Team said:

Just watched his pre match interview. As someone who has been critical so far I have to say it was easily his best interview yet. It’s a low bar but there was something different to it, although the Johnsonisms are jarring.

Disappointing to see the injury curse persists with Atkinson and Benarous, but hopefully Wells is back soon at least. 

Obviously it’s all about tomorrow though and seeing an improvement. 

I hope that any manager using jargon isn’t lazily tarred as a ‘Johnsonism’. Pearson was the exception really, most younger British managers speak like this. It’s clearly ingrained during their badges.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I hope that any manager using jargon isn’t lazily tarred as a ‘Johnsonism’. Pearson was the exception really, most younger British managers speak like this. It’s clearly ingrained during their badges.

Pearson also regularly spoke about “being the best version of yourself” etc which was pretty cliche, if you wanted to see it as so. As you say, it’s pretty standard in any line of work. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Every job has its jargon and football is no different. We need to look beyond it to see if we like the underlying message or not.

• Flames 1

I've never been overly worried about how a manager speaks, it's what he gets the team doing that matters, he could talk absolute waffle if he knows what he's doing. At the moment all I see is the club pushing how Manning is this tactical man and a top class coach. The lines on the training pitch look great, the videos of training looks great, Mannings talks of being a perfectionist sounds great but it all means nothing if you don't see it on the pitch. 

I think my concern is with him coming in half way through the season there will always be this scapegoat of "it's not his team yet" whereas with Pearson it finally was his team and that's why the lads would fight for him, it's going to take time for Manning to get that unity that the players had with Pearson so we're not really going to see what Manning can do until he's got the players he wants playing his style, until then I'm expecting repetitive cliches as all he can do is his coaching with a bunch of players that may not be capable of playing the way he wants.

I honestly hope Manning can coach as well as he seems to think he can, he's certainly confident but I can't see this squad suiting the previous set ups he's created without some change in the players and as we saw with Nigel that takes a lot of time and our board are wiling to sell players regardless of what the manager wants if the price is right.