IGNORED

Is Tottenham going to be deducted points?

Coombsy

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

You're going to need to edit this first before we've any idea what you are on about 

Something dodgy regarding the agent and Defoe's transfer 20 odd years ago.

Edited by downendcity

Remember when Alan Sugar was Chairman of Spurs? They were deducted 24 points(!) for some infringement.

Good old Alan appealed against this and the punishment was reduced to 12 points. This wasn't good enough for him, so he appealed again and those points were reinstated.

Important chairman and being a big club helped I suppose. I say that because in the 60's Peterborough, then in Div 3, had committed some offence and the League decided that regardless of their position at the end of the season, 9th, they would be relegated to Div 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No, @Coombsy is spot on there. A football club is a single corporate body.

People however so often make the mistake of treating them as a plural that it is widely regarded as being the correct form.

I gave him a like for his grammatical excellence.

Except he referred to Tottenham only. Had he said Tottenham Hotspur I concur with your post...but he could be referring to The area of Tottenham, Tottenham Council, anything with Tottenham as it's name.

Thus the Major and Basil, quote.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No, @Coombsy is spot on there. A football club is a single corporate body.

People however so often make the mistake of treating them as a plural that it is widely regarded as being the correct form.

I gave him a like for his grammatical excellence.

19 minutes ago, 22A said:

And now Barnsley has been thrown out of the FA Cup for fielding an illegible player in the replay with Horsham and Horsham now advance to the 2nd round.

If a top Prem side made the same error, would they be thrown out?

I gave Eddie a like earlier, as I believe he is correct technically.

Nevertheless, would he not agree that it would ‘sound better’, were 22A to have written that Barnsley ‘have’ been thrown out of the FA Cup?

Incidentally, I make no comment on the choice of the phrase ‘thrown out’, which is only marginally better than the ‘kicked out’ chosen by the BBC 😉.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Nevertheless, would he not agree that it would ‘sound better’, were 22A to have written that Barnsley ‘have’ been thrown out of the FA Cup?

Barnsley FC is a single item, therefore I used has rather than have.

Thanks for checking grammar though. It annoys me when on Mastermind or University challenge the contestants are asked "What group of sub atomic particles..." when it should be asked "Which group".

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 22A said:

Thanks for checking grammar though. It annoys me when on Mastermind or University challenge the contestants are asked "What group of sub atomic particles..." when it should be asked "Which group".

As I said, I agree that both you and Eddie are correct technically, but I just feel more comfortable saying ‘they’ when referring to, e.g. a football team.

Were somebody to ask me how City played today, I am sure I would reply (hopefully) ‘They were fantastic’, rather than ‘he, she or it’ played etc.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

You are right, but in my mind it is both a single entity and a group of people, a Club if you will. 

That's in my mind, which can be a strange place , ask my Wife.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I said, I agree that both you and Eddie are correct technically, but I just feel more comfortable saying ‘they’ when referring to, e.g. a football team.

Were somebody to ask me how City played today, I am sure I would reply (hopefully) ‘They were fantastic’, rather than ‘he, she or it’ played etc.

That's because they're non-binary and so their pronouns are they/them

• Like 1

It remains to be seen whether the FA will decide to review the case and if any action will be brought against Tottenham. Spurs have already seen Everton handed a 10-point deduction for breaking Premier League Profitability and Sustainability Rulesthis season, while Manchester City could also be sanctioned after being charged with breaching over 100 financial rules.

2 hours ago, Coombsy said:

It remains to be seen whether the FA will decide to review the case and if any action will be brought against Tottenham. Spurs have already seen Everton handed a 10-point deduction for breaking Premier League Profitability and Sustainability Rulesthis season, while Manchester City could also be sanctioned after being charged with breaching over 100 financial rules.

Worth crediting your source here - https://www.goal.com/en-cm/lists/tottenham-points-deduction-investigation-finds-spurs-broke-agent-rule-jermain-defoe-transfer-portsmouth/blt3ea726edcc077f9d

Now I know how it feels to be a teacher who suspects a child has plagiarised something because it was too well written. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Worth crediting your source here - https://www.goal.com/en-cm/lists/tottenham-points-deduction-investigation-finds-spurs-broke-agent-rule-jermain-defoe-transfer-portsmouth/blt3ea726edcc077f9d

Now I know how it feels to be a teacher who suspects a child has plagiarised something because it was too well written. 

Try AI 😂