IGNORED

Selection Policy - Some Thoughts

Davefevs

Interesting to see how a player can be either nailed on for selection or just not a managers cup of tea.

Whereas I think Nige was very much a player first manager I think Liam is going to be a system first coach.

Weimann was often praised by Nige, and after one game finds himself on the bench for Liam.

His style of play doesn’t fit into the keep the ball system Liam prefers (from what I’ve seen so far), so I think it unlikely Weimann will get much match time going forward, although he could be played as a CF if needed.

I don’t see a lot of changes from game to game with most players nailed on, simply due to the lack of availability.

Both full backs and CBs have only Naismith who isn’t in the team to challenge for their positions.

Max is the only goalkeeper worth a place and it would take a series of monumental errors to see him being replaced.

In midfield James, Knight and TGH have only Williams to challenge them.

The forwards even without Wells is the only area with a bit of competition, Bell, Sykes, Weimann, Conway, Cornick and Mehmeti contesting three positions.

Sykes and possibly Conway are pretty much nailed on leaving just one starting position up for grabs.

The talk of looking at the Academy first for players is just that, talk, I think the likes of Yeboah and JKL while useful in the squad for training are unlikely to get any game time at all, Yeboah for me is very much in the Weimann type of player.

I don’t think the Academy is going to produce any regular first team players this season or next, so going into the loan market is a distinct possibility in January if it’s too expensive to buy players outright.

We are very thin on the ground both defensively and in midfield, and I know I’m stating the obvious. 😃

10 hours ago, redkev said:

Wonder if he did go either Jan or end of season would he end up with Martin & hunt north of the river , very settled in Portishead , kids settled at schools his young lad plays in local football and Andi has made it no secret how much he likes Bristol - could tempt him 

I believe his kids and wife still live in derby, so doubt he will stay in Bristol with there being enough teams around the midlands he can play for maybe even a return to derby!! 

58 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Interesting to see how a player can be either nailed on for selection or just not a managers cup of tea.

Whereas I think Nige was very much a player first manager I think Liam is going to be a system first coach.

Weimann was often praised by Nige, and after one game finds himself on the bench for Liam.

His style of play doesn’t fit into the keep the ball system Liam prefers (from what I’ve seen so far), so I think it unlikely Weimann will get much match time going forward, although he could be played as a CF if needed.

I don’t see a lot of changes from game to game with most players nailed on, simply due to the lack of availability.

Both full backs and CBs have only Naismith who isn’t in the team to challenge for their positions.

Max is the only goalkeeper worth a place and it would take a series of monumental errors to see him being replaced.

In midfield James, Knight and TGH have only Williams to challenge them.

The forwards even without Wells is the only area with a bit of competition, Bell, Sykes, Weimann, Conway, Cornick and Mehmeti contesting three positions.

Sykes and possibly Conway are pretty much nailed on leaving just one starting position up for grabs.

The talk of looking at the Academy first for players is just that, talk, I think the likes of Yeboah and JKL while useful in the squad for training are unlikely to get any game time at all, Yeboah for me is very much in the Weimann type of player.

I don’t think the Academy is going to produce any regular first team players this season or next, so going into the loan market is a distinct possibility in January if it’s too expensive to buy players outright.

We are very thin on the ground both defensively and in midfield, and I know I’m stating the obvious. 😃

Lots to agree with there.

Think (hope) what we will see a bit more of with LM is rotation and rest - if he can keep the 17 senior players he had in the Match Day 20 (19) fit.  If he can get Nahki and Haydon back over the next few weeks then he has a lot of flex.

+++++

I still get a bit frustrated by the - we had two players for every position in the summer - comment, when we had Atkinson and Benarous coming back from ACLs.  Atkinson in particular was never gonna be back in the early months.  Probably about now would’ve been his likely return, more than a third of the way through the season.  Benarous was always gonna be one to be careful about in terms of reliance on him.  So we were really going into the season with 20.  Add McCrorie that we knew about in pre-season, and that is 19.

Don't get me wrong, I didn’t want a big squad, but we were left with no wiggle room, because injuries are always gonna happen.

It’s a couple light imho.

You can’t always use Academy to backfill.  As we’ve seen even Academy players get injured - OTC for example.  And if you have aspirations of a playoff push, OTC (no disrespect) isn’t gonna influence games.  He came in and did a fill-in job last season, that was all.  Fantastic for him btw.

And on the flipside, I get that you can’t overfill with perm signings, nor is it necessarily easy to get half-season loans of either the quality required who are also happy to be sub!

• Like 1

On 27/11/2023 at 20:33, The Bard said:

Agree with that. He's ooc at the end of the season.

Wouldn't surprise me if he left in January tbh. Bit like Chris Martin last season. He'd have plenty of takers in the Championship.

Would free up wages for signings 

Contracts don't work like that tho do they? 

If AW hasn't asked to leave then let's say he goes to Derby for example purposes and they offer him half of what he's on here, we'd still have to pay him the other half. So whilst it's a saving, it's not much of a saving.

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Contracts don't work like that tho do they? 

If AW hasn't asked to leave then let's say he goes to Derby for example purposes and they offer him half of what he's on here, we'd still have to pay him the other half. So whilst it's a saving, it's not much of a saving.

Yep  but, we could get someone from League 1 with the half a wage we've saved...

• Haha 2