IGNORED

Selection Policy - Some Thoughts

Davefevs

Firstly, let’s start with Nige.

I was largely a fan of his selection policy, or more correctly, the what appeared to be the consistency of it.  Little things like one bad game doesn’t mean you’re stopped, he tended to give you a chance to redeem yourself.

But in doing that, and not rotating / resting players that much, it tended to mean some players found it hard to break-in.

So some pros and cons, and one of the things I would be critical of Nige for.

+++++

Enough of Nige.  Now Liam Manning.

And firstly, we are just two games in and it’s merely observations, a bit of two plus two equals five stuff.

QPR:

image.thumb.png.8d180d39d281eb223605c7652cccb128.png

Always hard to read much into a first selection, but we saw Mehmeti get a start (a confidence boost for him) and most of us weren’t surprised after his comments about trying to loan him for Oxford in January, LM is obviously a fan.

Weimann started as the AM/10 and Knight partnered James in CM.  Some surprise, but Weimann as club captain maybe lessened that surprise a tad?

The other surprise - 8 subs.

What we did see was the introduction of Bell for Mehmeti, TGH for Weimann (and a swap with Knight), and Cornick for Conway.  We saw an improved end to the game.  Those players made an impact.

Middlesbrough:

image.png.703d9ddf083be50709751dccdedfff51.png.

Two changes.  TGH for Weimann, Bell for Mehmeti, rewarding their efforts v QPR.  Maybe Conway’s dedication / staying in Bristol rather than joining up with Scotland u21s rewarded by keeping his spot.

Two of those three rewarded their new gaffer with goals, the other looked like he carried out instructions but didn’t impact the game much.

Subs-wise, Mehmeti made an impression (albeit mixed), Cornick did well, then Naismith came on with a tactical tweak to 343 / 541, and Williams replaced James for 7 mins of energy and aggression.  James maybe had a twinge in his ankle, but otherwise it’s good to see players not immune from being taken off.

Southampton:

He’s gonna have to deal with not having Cam Pring.  Several options, Naismith, maybe Sykes (after Cardiff).  Switch to a back three?  Might need to bear in mind Kyle Walker-Peters down their right.

We shall learn more on Wednesday at 18:45.

• Like 1

I personally would go with Naismith , gives us a better passer in the side and doesn’t disrupt to much of the formation 

( pace would worry me a little though with walker peters against Kyle ) be tempted to put Harry in for TC would possibly keep both Sykes & Bell in the side for pace on the break , will need to be better at holding the ball up aswell 

I did notice aswell Saturday we didn’t press half as much as we have done but did notice a few games of saints earlier in the season teams pressed them and they panicked big time giving a few goals away in the process

• Like 1

Two comments regarding Nige and his selection policy - he was seriously restricted by injuries to important players and I don’t think he ever had all the players available at any time. For instance not having the experienced Wells available 

He was also very considerate to those returning from injury and to the youngsters who he used carefully

Manning has arrived with a blank page and is pretty much starting from scratch. He won’t know too much about the squad that he’s inherited and will no doubt base his selection on what he sees at Failand and what he’s seen so far in the two competitive matches so far.

Assuming there are no injuries I imagine he’ll go with the same 11 as against Boro - with possibly Cornick starting ahead of Conway or Bell.

Personally I’d like to see Mehmeti start.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, let’s start with Nige.

I was largely a fan of his selection policy, or more correctly, the what appeared to be the consistency of it.  Little things like one bad game doesn’t mean you’re stopped, he tended to give you a chance to redeem yourself.

But in doing that, and not rotating / resting players that much, it tended to mean some players found it hard to break-in.

So some pros and cons, and one of the things I would be critical of Nige for.

+++++

Enough of Nige.  Now Liam Manning.

And firstly, we are just two games in and it’s merely observations, a bit of two plus two equals five stuff.

QPR:

image.thumb.png.8d180d39d281eb223605c7652cccb128.png

Always hard to read much into a first selection, but we saw Mehmeti get a start (a confidence boost for him) and most of us weren’t surprised after his comments about trying to loan him for Oxford in January, LM is obviously a fan.

Weimann started as the AM/10 and Knight partnered James in CM.  Some surprise, but Weimann as club captain maybe lessened that surprise a tad?

The other surprise - 8 subs.

What we did see was the introduction of Bell for Mehmeti, TGH for Weimann (and a swap with Knight), and Cornick for Conway.  We saw an improved end to the game.  Those players made an impact.

Middlesbrough:

image.png.703d9ddf083be50709751dccdedfff51.png.

Two changes.  TGH for Weimann, Bell for Mehmeti, rewarding their efforts v QPR.  Maybe Conway’s dedication / staying in Bristol rather than joining up with Scotland u21s rewarded by keeping his spot.

Two of those three rewarded their new gaffer with goals, the other looked like he carried out instructions but didn’t impact the game much.

Subs-wise, Mehmeti made an impression (albeit mixed), Cornick did well, then Naismith came on with a tactical tweak to 343 / 541, and Williams replaced James for 7 mins of energy and aggression.  James maybe had a twinge in his ankle, but otherwise it’s good to see players not immune from being taken off.

Southampton:

He’s gonna have to deal with not having Cam Pring.  Several options, Naismith, maybe Sykes (after Cardiff).  Switch to a back three?  Might need to bear in mind Kyle Walker-Peters down their right.

We shall learn more on Wednesday at 18:45.

I think we will see a few swapping in and out while Manning learns about his new players.
LB/LWB is an interesting one. I'd naturally go with the left footed defender (Naismith) , but he isn't the quickest. Playing Sykes there gives covering pace, but harder to counter someone gong outside and reduces our threat the other way. 
I'd lean towards the 4 with Naismith and hope Bell can get at him and pin them back a bit. 

@Davefevs re 8 subs, it was only 8 on Saturday as well.

This suggests that he doesn’t think the likes of Nelson or Araoye are worth a place yet & young Joseph James dropped out at the weekend having been on the bench up at QPR.

Like you I’d play Naismith at LB in Pring’s absence- he’s played there before, has loads of experience & is left footed.

Interesting to me that Manning has already said at least once we are thin on numbers, so you do wonder if not having a full subs bench for either game so far is a subtle attempt to make the point we need a couple of new faces in January.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This suggests that he doesn’t think the likes of Nelson or Araoye are worth a place yet & young Joseph James dropped out at the weekend having been on the bench up at QPR.

Like you I’d play Naismith at LB, he’s played there before, has loads of experience & is left footed.

Interesting to me that Manning has already said at least once we are thin on numbers, so you do wonder if not having a full subs bench for either game so far is a subtle attempt to make the point we need a couple of new faces in January.

It could be that Manning isn’t sure about what some of the youngsters can do - he’s only been here a month or so. Take Yeboah - under Nige he was close to start and on the bench against Boro  I wonder if Manning would consider giving him his debut.

It’s likely that LM would like to bring a couple of Oxford players to AG in January, players he knows and trusts. It’s not uncommon for players to follow managers around. Nige did the same when he joined City by signing King and James.

One thing that will piss off SL if he sees vacancies on the bench rather than fill it with an academy graduate.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Like you I’d play Naismith at LB in Pring’s absence- he’s played there before, has loads of experience & is left footed.

Try telling stevie boy we need fresh faces 💰💰💰💰

Still not quite sure why TGH was dropped for the QPR game. Mannings comments on Saturday about TGH getting his head down and working hard in training was also odd as I didn't feel he deserved to be dropped in the 1st place. So unsure why it came across from Manning as if he was dropped for doing something wrong. 

But glad he realised his mistake and started him on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Still not quite sure why TGH was dropped for the QPR game. Mannings comments on Saturday about TGH getting his head down and working hard in training was also odd as I didn't feel he deserved to be dropped in the 1st place. So unsure why it came across from Manning as if he was dropped for doing something wrong. 

I don't think we can take much from the team choice at QPR, Manning said he would  take advice from other as he had been here a couple of days. The "getting his head down" phrase is trotted out for anyone that has been out of the side and I really think it's early to make assumptions on anything . 
Just my opinion of course , but he is learning about the players and settling in with the Club and media. I'm staying away from the Pressers, TBF it took Nige a while to settle to where I enjoyed watching them. I'll give Manning a month or so, by then he'll have had time to settle in and feel more comfortable, get to know the players better etc. Until then I do think we mat see players going in and out of the side, until he's confident in his view of them. 
For me from the Cardiff game I'd have TGH & Knight as our starting CMF , but Manning is still finding out about them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just manager / head-coach spiel, don’t read too much into his first team selection.  It is rare for a new manager not to make the odd change, just to do something different! And one or two were gonna be left out.

And don’t forget, it’s a squad game! 

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I suspect there wasn’t a reason per se, so much as a desire to see if we had more creativity in the team via Mehmeti and a decision that he wanted to keep James and Knight and that Weimann might be a goal threat. I don’t think it implies TGH did anything wrong so much as 12 into 11 don’t go. Would definitely pick TGH over Weimann or Mehmeti at the moment though.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Southampton:

I hadn't registered that until your message. To be without the Cheltenham Cafu against KWP could make a long 90 minutes even more challenging...

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I suspect there wasn’t a reason per se, so much as a desire to see if we had more creativity in the team via Mehmeti and a decision that he wanted to keep James and Knight and that Weimann might be a goal threat. I don’t think it implies TGH did anything wrong so much as 12 into 11 don’t go. Would definitely pick TGH over Weimann or Mehmeti at the moment though.

I'm glad he realised his mistake and put him straight back into the team. For me TGH is one of the 1st names on the team sheet.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, made that point in my OP.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw less of Weimann in the starting 11. 

If we going to transition into a more possession based team, I really can't see how he will fit in. 

Can't fault his effort and his personal strengths. But imo...he doesn't fit the talk of a more possession based side. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw less of Weimann in the starting 11. 

If we going to transition into a more possession based team, I really can't see how he will fit in. 

Can't fault his effort and his personal strengths. But imo...he doesn't fit the talk of a more possession based side. 

Agree with that. He's ooc at the end of the season.

Wouldn't surprise me if he left in January tbh. Bit like Chris Martin last season. He'd have plenty of takers in the Championship.

Would free up wages for signings 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he left in January tbh. Bit like Chris Martin last season. He'd have plenty of takers in the Championship.

Club said there were 3 OOC…I presume, James, King and Williams.  Think Andi triggered an extra year.

12 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think we can take much from the team choice at QPR, Manning said he would  take advice from other as he had been here a couple of days. The "getting his head down" phrase is trotted out for anyone that has been out of the side and I really think it's early to make assumptions on anything . 
Just my opinion of course , but he is learning about the players and settling in with the Club and media. I'm staying away from the Pressers, TBF it took Nige a while to settle to where I enjoyed watching them. I'll give Manning a month or so, by then he'll have had time to settle in and feel more comfortable, get to know the players better etc. Until then I do think we mat see players going in and out of the side, until he's confident in his view of them. 
For me from the Cardiff game I'd have TGH & Knight as our starting CMF , but Manning is still finding out about them.

Stop talking sense this otib forum ffs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Wonder if he did go either Jan or end of season would he end up with Martin & hunt north of the river , very settled in Portishead , kids settled at schools his young lad plays in local football and Andi has made it no secret how much he likes Bristol - could tempt him