IGNORED

Grumblers need to get a grip - article

W-S-M Seagull

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-grumblers-need-grip-8935839

Is there any need for this antagonising comment from Matt? I think he also said something quite antagonising in the aftermath of Pearsons departure. 

I used to really enjoy the 3peeps podcast. Matt is entitled to his opinion, just like we all are. But hearing him telling fans their opinions are essential wrong doesn't feel right to me. He sounds as if he is out of touch with the fanbase. He sounds as if he is a Bristol Sport employee or due to his connections to the club, he wants to keep them happy.

The reality we are in is that we have some fans like Matt that are very excited about Manning and at the opposite end of the spectrum we have people that are still really pissed off with the whole situation and the owners and its okay for people to feel whatever they want to feel. The atmosphere at Ashton Gate on Saturday suggests the fan base isn't exactly full of excitement like Matt is. 

Matt often speaks quite openly about mental health and is a big advocate of that and I massively applaud that. As a Bristol City fan, the last month has been quite stressful and full of emotions. So Matt, if you're reading this, please do consider that antagonising comments are probably not needed during a time when fans have gone through a range of emotions. I don't think it's right to dismiss others feelings in such an antagonising manner.

Screenshot_20231127_170838_Facebook.jpg

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 8

I doubt very much Matt wrote the headline despite contributing the article.  I'm sure it just the editor trying to get attention, which it has!

I see nothing wrong with what he says in the article.  I sit in the South Stand too, and was pretty annoyed with shouts of 'get it forward' from some fans around me.  The same fans that complained when a player did lump the ball up to no one in particular.  

I was gutted we sacked Pearson, but we have Manning now.  I wouldn't go as far as to say I enjoyed the first 30 minutes, but it was intriguing to see how Manning is setting out the team and what they were trying to do.  

• Like 4

The point he made about not getting the ball forward. I agree to a point that you need openings and fair enough manning doesn't want us to needlessly give the ball away, however in the first half we were completely lacking any movement. Other teams come to AG and find space all over the pitch whereas our players seem almost static. For me that's what needs sorting out. This resulted in up playing along the back and no threat to Boro what so ever until TGH scored his worldie. We seemed better after this with cornick and Anis providing what we missed in the first half.

Getting tired of being told how to feel and think about my views towards the club. 

Yes - I don't agree with how things have been handled the last month.

Yes I do also want the team to do well. Just little shots and digs everywhere from NP outers.

Matt Withers is in bed with the decision makers and media team at the club, it's no longer a fan opinion but an employee opinion so it's club propaganda just like the nauseous constant tweets from the club.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 17
  • Flames 2

41 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

I doubt very much Matt wrote the headline despite contributing the article.  I'm sure it just the editor trying to get attention, which it has!

I see nothing wrong with what he says in the article.  I sit in the South Stand too, and was pretty annoyed with shouts of 'get it forward' from some fans around me.  The same fans that complained when a player did lump the ball up to no one in particular.  

I was gutted we sacked Pearson, but we have Manning now.  I wouldn't go as far as to say I enjoyed the first 30 minutes, but it was intriguing to see how Manning is setting out the team and what they were trying to do.  

I was going to say similar. 

All he actually says in the article about grumbling is a few fans being impatient about us not being direct enough in the first half hour. I don't actually have a problem with anything he's written. I disagree with some of it - I don't think it was at all unclear how Pearson wanted us to play - but the unnecessarily antagonistic headline is far more the issue than the actual article, and that would have most likely been the sub-editor. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Getting tired of being told how to feel and think about my views towards the club. 

Yes I do also want the team to do well. Just little shots and digs everywhere from NP outers.

Matt Withers is in bed with the decision makers and media team at the club, it's no longer a fan opinion but an employee opinion so it's club propaganda just like the nauseous constant tweets from the club.

As I say in my post above, I don't think the article is anywhere near as bad as the headline but, in general, I completely agree.

I want Mannning to do well because I want the club to do well but, even if his appointment proved to be an absolute masterstroke, I'd still feel justified in having a bad taste in my mouth about the manner of Pearson's sacking and the communications around it. It's perfectly possible to simultaneously disagree with the way someone was sacked and wish their successor well.

I feel the fans (and club employees) who are either dismissing the anger many people felt about NP's dismissal or trying to tell fans they're not allowed to be angry are utterly counter-productive in terms of getting those fans onside. I couldn't make Saturday but I'll be cheering the team on on Wednesday and Sunday. But I have no intention of "getting a grip" or stopping being disappointed about how Pearson was treated.

Edited by LondonBristolian
Remembered we're playing Sunday, not Saturday!
  • Like 5
  • Flames 3

31 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I think that's what I was trying to get across in my post. It's OK for us all to have different feelings and thoughts etc. 

But it's rather unpleasant for some to be telling us how to feel and think. 

Maybe it was the editor that wrote the headline, but Matt has also said quite antagonising things on the podcast and RB before regarding our fans. 

I think, unfortunately for Matt, it’s kind of the culmination effect. It was Matt who Joe Sims threw to for a “fans” opinion after that embarrassing JL interview and that was predictably subservient to the Lansdown regime. Whether it was him or the sub, he’s someone who is not just toeing the party line, he’s got both feet on it.

It’s a shame because Matt is clearly an intelligent guy and a big city fan. But for the club, he’s a useful idiot. He’s exactly who they want to give a “safe” fans view, and has the impression of a man who doesn’t want to rock the boat because he’s finally on the inners at a club he loves. What he doesn’t realise is that he doesn’t mean shit to them and will be excommunicated as soon as they find a different mouthpiece.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

I can see where he’s coming from mind. Some of the comments around me when it was 0-0 and we were keeping a team who’d won 9 of 11 at arms length was ridiculous. You’d have thought we were 3-0 down. 

We’re going to play a new way, we’re two games into the adaptation. BUT if points keep coming, I’ll take a boring opening half hour all day long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think that's what I was trying to get across in my post. It's OK for us all to have different feelings and thoughts etc. 

But it's rather unpleasant for some to be telling us how to feel and think. 

Maybe it was the editor that wrote the headline, but Matt has also said quite antagonising things on the podcast and RB before regarding our fans. 

It has led me to dislike certain sections of our fanbase, which is taking the attention away from JL, BT and SL right now. 

Like I said and I agree totally with what @LondonBristoliansays regardless we want the team to do well, and even if we got promotion i'd disagree with how they dealt with NP for his entire time in charge.

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think, unfortunately for Matt, it’s kind of the culmination effect. It was Matt who Joe Sims threw to for a “fans” opinion after that embarrassing JL interview and that was predictably subservient to the Lansdown regime. Whether it was him or the sub, he’s someone who is not just toeing the party line, he’s got both feet on it.

It’s a shame because Matt is clearly an intelligent guy and a big city fan. But for the club, he’s a useful idiot. He’s exactly who they want to give a “safe” fans view, and has the impression of a man who doesn’t want to rock the boat because he’s finally on the inners at a club he loves. What he doesn’t realise is that he doesn’t mean shit to them and will be excommunicated as soon as they find a different mouthpiece.

You can understand it to be fair. Those guys must feel pretty good meeting their City heroes and the top brass at Ashton Gate. It's an easy trap fall into.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

You can understand it to be fair. Those guys must feel pretty good meeting their City heroes and the top brass at Ashton Gate. It's an easy trap fall into.

I nay be different to some but I could see a City player walk down Weston High St and I'd not give two hoots. 

Never cared about meeting players, managers etc or having pictures with them etc. 

In my time through work etc ive met various famous people and the majority are not very nice. So thats probably why I prefer to not meet our players as I wouldn't want my personal opinion of them as a person to cloud my football judgement. 

I'm also quite comfortable in my life. I don't need to meet football players or be 'in' to feel important. 

• Like 1

Sure the first half hour was like watching paint dry but understandable given the quality of the opposition and it being Mannings first home game.

No doubt the players were trying to implement his strategies which was always going to time to get familiar with and it was a surprise to me when the boos and groans were heard when TGH ( I think) played the ball back to Vyner…….I can’t recall hearing that before - maybe that’s a sign of things to come…….:dunno:

I was definitely one of those grumblers although quietly. The atmosphere at the gate has been tense for years not just on Saturday.

He's entitled to his opinion without being called a Bristol Sport, JL sympathiser. I'm not going to get overly sensitive because he said 'get a grip' because I genuinely think he's saying that for the betterment of the club. I do think our fans are too edgy and almost waiting for something negative to happen. Which becomes quite flat when things aren't progressing.

Although I do think because we eventually won the game some fans like Math are claiming they new score all along. As if it was inevitable that would be the outcome based on the style of play in those initial 30 mins. I'd say that's a reach, it was key moments for either team that decided that game. Over the long term we may well see more of the same approach and then it'll become alot clearer on what Manning is trying to do.

I don’t see anything wrong with the article either. I felt embarrassed by some of the moaning when players passed it back on Saturday - some had a go at Tanner when he passed it back and he had not one but two Boro players in front of him so he was in danger of losing it if he did anything else. If players don’t think a forward pass is on, I would rather they retained it. 

• Like 3

@W-S-M Seagull well, I’m in total agreement with Matt.  But to balance it out I’d challenge why there wasn’t a call for patience when we passed it around like that under Nige too.

I still don’t think we played much different style to under Nige.  Very minor stuff, a bit more rotation / variance in player movement, e.g. Bell coming short and inside, Knight a bit of freedom to pop up in inside left channel.  I’m sure there are some slightly different pressing triggers, but essentially still mainly a block in the main triggering off a poor pass or poor touch.

2 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Seriously how could anyone say they enjoyed those first 30 mins.

I would hope we are all City through and through.

I fear he’s taken the Kings shilling, and it shows.

Well, I did.  In some respects I liked how we “bored” Boro a bit, made them try to play a bit riskier, then pounced.  

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Does Matt post on here? 

I thought he did, but can’t find his username…thought it was a simple MattWivs???

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@W-S-M Seagull well, I’m in total agreement with Matt.  But to balance it out I’d challenge why there wasn’t a call for patience when we passed it around like that under Nige too.

I still don’t think we played much different style to under Nige.  Very minor stuff, a bit more rotation / variance in player movement, e.g. Bell coming short and inside, Knight a bit of freedom to pop up in inside left channel.  I’m sure there are some slightly different pressing triggers, but essentially still mainly a block in the main triggering off a poor pass or poor touch.

Well, I did.  In some respects I liked how we “bored” Boro a bit, made them try to play a bit riskier, then pounced.  

I thought he did, but can’t find his username…thought it was a simple MattWivs???

I'm not really commenting on the content of his opinions. But more so about his aggressiveness towards others who have a different opinion to him. 

It's been quite a regular feature recently by him and I think it's uncalled for. 

I'm not telling him he needs to get a grip because he may have different opinions than my own. It's almost as if he is trying to stoke the fire. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks Dave. I’d been trying to figure out how to explain my view…..and you’ve just done it for me!

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly how I saw it. Didn't feel too much difference than how we would play under NP at home. Found it funny the likes of Ian Gay were now suddenly lapping it up this patient style of play. It was the same kind of performance we'd get under Nige.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not really commenting on the content of his opinions. But more so about his aggressiveness towards others who have a different opinion to him. 

It's been quite a regular feature recently by him and I think it's uncalled for. 

I'm not telling him he needs to get a grip because he may have different opinions than my own. It's almost as if he is trying to stoke the fire. 

I don’t much like aggressiveness towards people with a different opinion either. But it’s not exactly uncommon on here, is it?

And no one side of any debate has a monopoly on it! For every ‘get a grip’ you’ll find a ‘give your head a wobble’ directed the other way!

And it’s probably human nature to see a ‘get a grip’ aimed at someone who shares your opinion in a slightly different light to a ‘give your head a wobble’ aimed at someone who doesn’t. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don’t think he’s actually said get a grip though. It doesn’t say that in the article. He has asked for patience from all I can see. The website is unworkable though so might have missed it! 

• Like 1