IGNORED

Gary O’Neil - VAR

Davefevs

19 hours ago, Bris Red said:

All the game ever needed was goal line technology IMHO, var has been a complete mess unsurprisingly.

100%.

One isolated incident aside (Aston Villa, I think) where it wasn’t working, this has been flawless.

Remember Wells’ goal at Blackburn, this innovation has been a success.

VAR is far too open to interpretation, we quickly moved away from clear & obvious error into complete guesswork.

Also hard to avoid the thought that it is being inconsistently applied. Liverpool created a media frenzy over an “error” in a game of theirs but the reality is they, Man City, Chelsea, Man U benefit far more often from it, sides like Wolves, Bournemouth, Burnley & Luton have had loads more contentious decisions go against them.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Like handball just being handball or offside is offside ?

Not did it hit that part of his body or were they deliberately going for the ball etc which is all subjective.

It mainly comes down to common sense doesn't it really Look at the Wolves one against Man Utd when Onana clattered the wolves player that was a stonewall penalty. I've not seen the Newcastle pen from last night only seen a still picture of it. so can't comment on that to much but there have been handballs where the player cannot get his hand out of the way, so common sense should tell a qualified ref wether it be on the pitch or sat in a room that it shouldn't be given, but the rule changes mean they have to consider everything. 

The offside thing is a tough one offside is offside of course but if VAR is used for clear and obvious errors how the hell is an on field linesman meant to know if a players toe nail is offside and if you need lines to decide that then its clearly not an error. I don't know what the answers are TBH. But the reasons i go to City and get passionate about it is for us to get to the top league and play some of the best teams in the world and ok people might say we wouldn't beat them anyway but, VAR is punishing teams unfairly and I would hate that to be city.

• Like 3

On 28/11/2023 at 07:23, East End Old Boy said:

Stuart Attwell was the VAR “official” and took so long reviewing surely proves nothing was clear and obvious. Also surprised there wasn’t an intervention for a red!

I think this is where it’s frustrating, if you need 5 minutes to review it then it probably wasn’t a clear and obvious error.

Been lots of examples lately of weird decisions though - for and against England last week (Kane “dive”, Maguire foul was a pen and the handball wasn’t IMO)

I don’t think it’s working in its current state and it’s an awful experience for a fan in the ground

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

One isolated incident aside (Aston Villa, I think) where it wasn’t working, this has been flawless.

VAR is far too open to interpretation, we quickly moved away from clear & obvious error into complete guesswork.

Also hard to avoid the thought that it is being inconsistently applied. Liverpool created a media frenzy over an “error” in a game of theirs but the reality is they, Man City, Chelsea, Man U benefit far more often from it, sides like Wolves, Bournemouth, Burnley & Luton have had loads more contentious decisions go against them.

Outside of those.

Brighton last year, you can add to that- some of the calls against them were amazingly bad.

On the flipside, Aston Villa seem to be very much beneficiaries of it this sesson.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Newcastle VAR penalty official has been stood down.

Livramento's arm position wasn't extended away from his body and was a consequence of his body movement, so shouldn't have been a handball offence.

Hmmm I disagree. His arm was by his side as he was running, as the ball was kicked he lifts his arm which then blocks the pass. 

It's that movement of the arm which imo is why the ref has given it. 

VideoCapture_20231128-224113.jpg

VideoCapture_20231128-224524.jpg

On 29/11/2023 at 07:42, GrahamC said:

100%.

That does seem to the case! Was it always thus. Yes I think so.